Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving the Australia. When Covid 19 is over.

Thinking of moving the Australia. When Covid 19 is over.

Old Mar 30th 2020, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

samtheman40 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of moving the Australia. When Covid 19 is over.

Hi I am a man aged 44. I am half kiwi and quarter Scottish and quarter English. Was born in New Zealand but brought up in the UK. I have a UK passport and a New Zealand passport. I have lived briefly in New Zealand and for a bit in Australia. I also backpacked around the east coast.
My girlfriend who is a year older than me is from Manila in the Philippines. She has just quit her job in Citibank in Manila. She has to teenage sons from her previous marriage. Her elder son is in his last 2 years at university in Manila so it would just be my girlfriend and her younger son who is 17 and me. As I have a New Zealand passport I would be getting a visa for my girlfriend and her younger son.
Also my girlfriend wants to work when she is in Australia.
I was thinking maybe we would live in Queensland in with Coolangatta in the Gold Coast or maybe Cairns or maybe somewhere in the Sunshine Coast. I would like to live near the beach. I love hot weather and I hate cold weather.
At the moment with the Covid 19 Coronavirus moving to Australia is not an option. But at some point in the next 6 months to a year I would hope that the virus has gone or nearly gone so maybe we could think about moving next year.
Anyhow I just wonder if anyone has got any idea on what we need to do to move to Australia and where a good place to live is. I think of Queensland as it’s summer all year round
which I like.
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving the Australia. When Covid 19 is over.

Originally Posted by samtheman40
Hi I am a man aged 44. I am half kiwi and quarter Scottish and quarter English. Was born in New Zealand but brought up in the UK. I have a UK passport and a New Zealand passport. I have lived briefly in New Zealand and for a bit in Australia. I also backpacked around the east coast.
My girlfriend who is a year older than me is from Manila in the Philippines. She has just quit her job in Citibank in Manila. She has to teenage sons from her previous marriage. Her elder son is in his last 2 years at university in Manila so it would just be my girlfriend and her younger son who is 17 and me. As I have a New Zealand passport I would be getting a visa for my girlfriend and her younger son.
Also my girlfriend wants to work when she is in Australia.
I was thinking maybe we would live in Queensland in with Coolangatta in the Gold Coast or maybe Cairns or maybe somewhere in the Sunshine Coast. I would like to live near the beach. I love hot weather and I hate cold weather.
At the moment with the Covid 19 Coronavirus moving to Australia is not an option. But at some point in the next 6 months to a year I would hope that the virus has gone or nearly gone so maybe we could think about moving next year.
Anyhow I just wonder if anyone has got any idea on what we need to do to move to Australia and where a good place to live is. I think of Queensland as it’s summer all year round
which I like
Hope you like a tonne of rain to go with that warmth.
Old Apr 4th 2020, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm no expert in visas for New Zealanders but are you sure your girlfriend qualifies for a visa? This page - https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...-temporary-461 - suggests she needs to be your defacto partner. You don't say where you live - are you living together? That page also suggests the processing time will be lengthy - possibly years - so if you do qualify it would be wise to get on and apply ASAP, not least because it is possible the younger son will not qualify once he is 18 (if he is dependent on his father rather than his mother).
Old Apr 4th 2020, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Well it rains a lot all year round in Cornwall where I have been living. So not a big deal really to have rain.

Last edited by samtheman40; Apr 4th 2020 at 4:02 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2020, 11:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Well it rains a lot all year round in Cornwall where I have been living. So not a big deal really to have rain.
Cornwall has about a 1000mm of annual rainfall and the Gold Coast has about 1500mm.

On the flipside Cornwall has more rainy days, shitty misty rain, whereas the Gold Coast tends to dump it down over a few days, gets some sun, then dumps it down again.
Old Apr 4th 2020, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

That’s right plus there are far more hot and humid and sunnier days in Australia than in Cornwall. Plus lots more windy days in the UK. So Gold Coast has better weather. Well that’s if you like summer weather.
Old Apr 5th 2020, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

Can anyone tell me out of these places which are Cairns or Port Douglas or the Gold Coast or the Sunshine Coast or Darwin or Fremantle are nice places to live and if you can find work in any of these places. Which has the shortest rainy season with the least rain? I think I want to live in Queensland but not sure. Also which is the cheapest of these places to live.
Old Apr 5th 2020, 4:03 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone tell me out of these places which are Cairns or Port Douglas or the Gold Coast or the Sunshine Coast or Darwin or Fremantle are nice places to live and if you can find work in any of these places. Which has the shortest rainy season with the least rain? I think I want to live in Queensland but not sure. Also which is the cheapest of these places to live.
Have you seen post #3? People are more likely to spend time answering your questions if you respond to posts regarding visa eligibility.
Old Apr 5th 2020, 11:48 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You really do not want tobe living in the place with least rain. Most of us here rejoice when it rains these days. Drought is a huge issue and if you want to live here you need to learn more about its effects on the country.
Old Apr 6th 2020, 5:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That’s right plus there are far more hot and humid and sunnier days in Australia than in Cornwall. Plus lots more windy days in the UK. So Gold Coast has better weather. Well that’s if you like summer weather.
Each to their own I guess. I hate humidity so anything north of the mid NSW coast no go for me and many.