Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to Aus and need HELP.

Thinking of moving to Aus and need HELP.

Old Jan 16th 2016, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

Bean85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of moving to Aus and need HELP.

Hi everyone, myself my partner and our four year old son are wanting to emigrate in the new 3 years as i will qualify as a paedeatric nurse next summer. We have been toying between Aus and New Zealand but are more towards Australia, we are confident there is work for us both out there Iam just looking for some advice on which area's are best for Brits moving to Australia??
Any help appreciated, thanks in advance!
Old Jan 16th 2016, 10:28 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving to Aus and need HELP.

Originally Posted by Bean85
Hi everyone, myself my partner and our four year old son are wanting to emigrate in the new 3 years as i will qualify as a paedeatric nurse next summer. We have been toying between Aus and New Zealand but are more towards Australia, we are confident there is work for us both out there Iam just looking for some advice on which area's are best for Brits moving to Australia??
Hi and welcome to BE

Are you degree qualified or diploma? Can make a lot of difference now......

There'ss no area that's really 'best for Brits' - its a question of where you can find work and what sort of life you want. Nursing jobs are going pretty much everywhere though not as easy to come by as they used to be and being newly qualified you'll have to fight for a place. You'll also need to consider where your partner can find work.

Then have a think about whether you want city living or something out in the suburbs - or even out in the rural areas (which is very different from iving in the countryside in the UK!)
Also think about the weather - you'll get heat pretty much anywhere, but if you head for Queensland much of the state is up towards the tropics and you'll get humidity as well as heat, same with the Northern Territory.

Tell us a bit more and we'll go from there...!
Old Jan 16th 2016, 11:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with above that there is no such thing as "best for Brits" and indeed there is no "best" area for anyone, Brit or otherwise.

First thing to do is decide which state is right for you, after you have decided on the state you can start to narrow it down a little further. If you can manage a reccie trip over that might help you get a feel for different states.

For now you could start to think about what differentiates one state from another, I would say there are three things to consider and these are: availability of work, climate and affordability. These are three factors which can vary massively between states and are therefore good objective measures to look into, far more useful than getting subjective views on things like where is "best".
Old Jan 17th 2016, 7:32 am
Just Joined

Bean85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Hi and welcome to BE

Are you degree qualified or diploma? Can make a lot of difference now......

There'ss no area that's really 'best for Brits' - its a question of where you can find work and what sort of life you want. Nursing jobs are going pretty much everywhere though not as easy to come by as they used to be and being newly qualified you'll have to fight for a place. You'll also need to consider where your partner can find work.
Then have a think about whether you want city living or something out in the suburbs - or even out in the rural areas (which is very different from iving in the countryside in the UK!)
Also think about the weather - you'll get heat pretty much anywhere, but if you head for Queensland much of the state is up towards the tropics and you'll get humidity as well as heat, same with the Northern Territory.

Tell us a bit more and we'll go from there...!

Hi thankyou for your reply! My course will be a qualified degree they don't do the diploma anymore at my university now. My partner is a qualified rigger, rope access & shot blaster so I'm letting him look for work opportunities for himself. I have looked and most job descriptions ask for around 12 months experience so that's kind of how I've set a 3-4 year plan to make sure I have the best experience to take with me. We have said we would like to be just outside of a city not too close but still so we can access amenities when needed xx
Old Jan 17th 2016, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

You really need to research areas of Australia for yourself as what appeals to one, won't appeal to another. At the same time, you need to research jobs as neither of your occupations might actually be much in demand in some. For example, in WA we have a recruitment freeze in health and a large number are about to be made redundant - about one in 12.

Australia is a huge place - I have had jobs where the journey to work is the equivalent of London to Istanbul and that is without leaving WA. As a result, areas are very different. For example, Dawrin is a city that is popular with some, but many could not stand the humidity. Perth is popular with some, but some can't stand the high summer temps.

Hobart is very pretty, but can get very cold - snow and driving rain in winter.

It will vary by person.
Old Jan 17th 2016, 10:26 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
You really need to research areas of Australia for yourself as what appeals to one, won't appeal to another. At the same time, you need to research jobs as neither of your occupations might actually be much in demand in some. For example, in WA we have a recruitment freeze in health and a large number are about to be made redundant - about one in 12.

Australia is a huge place - I have had jobs where the journey to work is the equivalent of London to Istanbul and that is without leaving WA. As a result, areas are very different. For example, Dawrin is a city that is popular with some, but many could not stand the humidity. Perth is popular with some, but some can't stand the high summer temps.

Hobart is very pretty, but can get very cold - snow and driving rain in winter.

It will vary by person.
But in Hobart's defence it makes up for it with loads of days in the 20-25 bracket with gorgeous sunshine and late daylight evenings (unlike Queensland). And the odd day of 30+ but its just a day or two and doesn't last, thankfully.
Paradise Island - just got no jobs
Old Jan 21st 2016, 2:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
But in Hobart's defence it makes up for it with loads of days in the 20-25 bracket with gorgeous sunshine and late daylight evenings (unlike Queensland). And the odd day of 30+ but its just a day or two and doesn't last, thankfully.
Paradise Island - just got no jobs
You could open a pub. Polly's Bar.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 5:08 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Surely 'The Witch's Brew'?
Old Jan 21st 2016, 5:18 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Originally Posted by Dreamy
Liking it.....
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 6:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Depends if she is perched on a broomstick or not.
Old Jan 23rd 2016, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bean85
I would say Brisbane is the City that will boom from now for a long time. It has the climate, the big city infrastructure, jobs, tropical beaches, mild winters.