Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thinking of making the move down under

Thinking of making the move down under

Old May 17th 2012, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

rubberduck is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of making the move down under

Hi me my wife are at the "just talking about it stage" just yet, Im a civil engineer and my wife is a stay at home mum to our 5 kids, from the job websites and construction company websites im pretty confidant i could get a sponsered visa, how ever we never realized how exp property is, we live in rural Ireland but want to live in the suburbs of melbourne or brisbane, are all the jobs in the out back though? is there tax allowances for dependent spouse, children, rent/mortgage etc, and although we aint bible bashers we would want our children to get a catholic education, whats the story with schools in Australia
Old May 18th 2012, 2:15 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of making the move down under

Hi, welcome to the forum. We also chose between Melbourne and Brisbane, ended up in Melbourne which we have been in for 5 years and love life here.

With Catholic schools there are small fees ($2000 pa or so), however getting your kids in may be a problem sometimes. Our local Catholic school is over-subscribed for prep next year and that is just with siblings!

BB
Old May 18th 2012, 5:54 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

There are no tax allowances for children, mortgage, etc - you pay the full tax on your income regardless. However you may be eligible for Family Tax Benefit which is a payment from Centrelink related to your income and the number of children - although whether you are eligible will depend on the type of visa you hold as only a few visa types can receive Centrelink payments.
Old May 18th 2012, 11:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Not many people in the construction industry are on permanent contracts so you could well struggle to find sponsorship. Way too many unemployed tradies 'on the ground' for anyone to have the need to sponsor someone without Aus tickets. However you may not be a tradie, you may be a designer or something. First off you should get out the DIAC website and run through the Visa Wizard - down on the left hand side and see if you do qualify to apply although you have to bear in mind DIAC will be making major changes in July which may will affect you.
Old May 18th 2012, 11:51 am
Just Joined

Default still just research

Thanks for the info so far, ive looked at the skilled migration wizard thingy and met all the criteria, as I say were just talking about it, as you might have heard Ireland is dying and will only get worse Im afraid, esp with the euro prob about to implode. If we do go we dont want to be in a situation where Im working thousands of miles from our new home leaving wife and kids alone in a strange place for weeks at atime, at the moment im working in the uk and flying home every 2 weeks, im a civil site engineer, basically an over qualified foreman, most exp in watermains, sewage,large-deep excavation, drainage and road construction
Old May 19th 2012, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

riccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of light

We have arrived 6 weeks ago from Glasgow . It was very stressful getting here but our life is amazing already. I know 4 Irish families who have made the move and love it. My advice is don't talk and put things into action as even a 457 can take a fair bit of time. Good luck.
Old May 19th 2012, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: still just research

Originally Posted by rubberduck
Thanks for the info so far, ive looked at the skilled migration wizard thingy and met all the criteria, as I say were just talking about it, as you might have heard Ireland is dying and will only get worse Im afraid, esp with the euro prob about to implode. If we do go we dont want to be in a situation where Im working thousands of miles from our new home leaving wife and kids alone in a strange place for weeks at atime, at the moment im working in the uk and flying home every 2 weeks, im a civil site engineer, basically an over qualified foreman, most exp in watermains, sewage,large-deep excavation, drainage and road construction
Unless very lucky with finding the correct job to live in Newcastle/Brisbane etc and DIDO, most people in the mines tend to FIFO. Either that or move to a town near the mines but they can be fairly small and extremely expensive for rents and in the middle of now where. Also Iv heard of people doing 3-4 weeks on and 1 week off. So be aware of that possibility.
Old May 20th 2012, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

Im finding this site a mine of info (no pun intended) From reading the posts written by uk people they talk about the comparison between the uk and oz, wages etc, how ever in Ireland we dont have that luxury, we have no jobs here or prospects, for us emigration isnt a lifestyle choice but a necessity. im not looking to get rich, just a decent job where i get home most evenings and to be comfortable, at the moment im working in the uk and getting home every 2 weeks so I don't want to go halfway around the world to be in the same predicament. Every one is talking about mines but surely their is road , sewer, water and general civil works going on in the large towns and cities.
Old May 20th 2012, 3:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi me my wife are at the "just talking about it stage" just yet, Im a civil engineer and my wife is a stay at home mum to our 5 kids, from the job websites and construction company websites im pretty confidant i could get a sponsered visa, how ever we never realized how exp property is, we live in rural Ireland but want to live in the suburbs of melbourne or brisbane, are all the jobs in the out back though? is there tax allowances for dependent spouse, children, rent/mortgage etc, and although we aint bible bashers we would want our children to get a catholic education, whats the story with schools in Australia
Here's the info on the dependent spouse tax rebate:

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...292.htm&page=9

If you have PR see family payments part a and b and rent assistance here:

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...006_1203en.pdf

Many, many catholic schools...some are run by the catholic church (systemic), others by orders etc. Usually far cheaper than non catholic private schools. Discounts for multiple children. Used by many non catholics.
Old May 20th 2012, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Im finding this site a mine of info (no pun intended) From reading the posts written by uk people they talk about the comparison between the uk and oz, wages etc, how ever in Ireland we dont have that luxury, we have no jobs here or prospects, for us emigration isnt a lifestyle choice but a necessity. im not looking to get rich, just a decent job where i get home most evenings and to be comfortable, at the moment im working in the uk and getting home every 2 weeks so I don't want to go halfway around the world to be in the same predicament. Every one is talking about mines but surely their is road , sewer, water and general civil works going on in the large towns and cities.
There is work in the major cities but the serious money is in the resources sector so any Civil firm is going to have a lot of projects there. A friend of mine is a Civil Engineer in Perth. He spends most of his time in the office in Perth but still travels north on a relatively frequent basis.