Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thinking of a life down under

Thinking of a life down under

Old Feb 9th 2013, 1:36 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of a life down under

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Tis very true. Some of those flooded after TC Tasha have not been able to get insurance again, or have been unable to afford the hiked up premiums. I would say it might be in the hundreds, unlikely to be thousands. Many of the worst areas hit by T C Oswald were not impacted in Tasha - eg most of Bundaberg - and so a lot of those are covered by insurance.
However, as with Tasha, this is very early days so far. most of the insurance wrangling hasn't actually started yet and the figures may rise over the next few weeks.
Yes there are definitely people who havent be able reinsure because of being too high risk or as you unable to because of cost. Any that have been hit twice will no doubt definitely be too high risk when renewal time comes around.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 2:41 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Yes there are definitely people who havent be able reinsure because of being too high risk or as you unable to because of cost. Any that have been hit twice will no doubt definitely be too high risk when renewal time comes around.
There are all sorts of plans being mooted to try and help out before next time, like councils buying high-risk properties, and allowing people to move to higher areas - like Grantham, after T C Tasha, but in some cases it won't solve the problem as insurers are starting to refuse whole towns or suburbs because of some properties being a risk.
Windsor, inner north Brisbane, is a good example. There are properties here that flood every time there is a mega-high tide, because of the way the creeks rise. However there are also streets in the suburb like mine, right on top of the hill, and if we go under then most of Brisbane and the Gold Coast is history!! Yet we share the postcode and suburb name, hence share the insurance premium.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 3:42 pm
Banned

Scottishjam is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pomikev
Maybe find a way to watch a few hours of Australian commercial TV online from there, then see if you still want to come. because it will give you a very good idea of what is considered culture and entertainment here and I'm pretty sure you will be astounded. It's like being stuck in a badly written and poorly acted high school play, and that's just the news.

Oh and if you do come for a holiday, don't stay in a 4 star hotel in sydney and do all the tourist things, go book a motel in dubbo or cowra or grafton or gympie or winton or geraldton or somewhere like that. That will give you an idea of what life will be like here once you've seen the opera house and the beach at surfers paradise, (well maybe a week at surfers would be an idea too, it's a shit hole).

And the person above hit the nail on the head with the "It's the best (fill in blank) in the world" comments all the time, Australians who have never been to another country will continualy boast that everything here is the best in the world, constantly, after the first 30 mins it starts to grate on you, after 25 years one almost becomes suicidal every time one hears it.

And if you don't like sport and halfwit commentators who scream at an excited fever pitch at everything including lawn bowls (I'm not kidding)..... OK I'll stop, but if you are an educated couple with any kind of appreciation for intelligence at all you probably won't like it here.
Do you actually do anything with your life other than complaining all the time.
Most people with a brain don't spend life watching the idiot box.

God let me meet one Pom that doesn't complain all the time, "NO" not going to happen.
I wish people would just go back to where they came from instead of sitting around bad mouthing another country, oh that's right UK is now called India, and oh let's not forget Foot and Mouth oops did I forget to mention that your country is so great that you left in the first place.
To anyone wanting to go to Australia, go for a holiday, don't spend your time watching TV!!! If it's not for you then that's ok.
Just watch out for nasty Poms, that tailgate back in the UK too.
Realllllyyyyyy get a life and grow up.
When traveling to any country just remember one thing, people are not put on this earth to please you, every person has good and bad faults, a good and wise person who can accept this fact is rewarded with true friendships....
Old Feb 9th 2013, 7:09 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scottishjam
Do you actually do anything with your life other than complaining all the time.
Most people with a brain don't spend life watching the idiot box.

God let me meet one Pom that doesn't complain all the time, "NO" not going to happen.
I wish people would just go back to where they came from instead of sitting around bad mouthing another country, oh that's right UK is now called India, and oh let's not forget Foot and Mouth oops did I forget to mention that your country is so great that you left in the first place.
To anyone wanting to go to Australia, go for a holiday, don't spend your time watching TV!!! If it's not for you then that's ok.
Just watch out for nasty Poms, that tailgate back in the UK too.
Realllllyyyyyy get a life and grow up.
When traveling to any country just remember one thing, people are not put on this earth to please you, every person has good and bad faults, a good and wise person who can accept this fact is rewarded with true friendships....
well you're one new member who is going to make lots of friends on here, aren't you
Old Feb 9th 2013, 8:18 pm
Banned

well you're one new member who is going to make lots of friends on here, aren't you
Old Feb 9th 2013, 8:33 pm
Banned

Hahaha, yeh right, like I care, it just proves my point, the truth hurts.
Im not asking for approval, or trying to Make friends, people who continuously have problems with other countries should just leave and no go back to where they came from. Oops only these people were the ones who disliked, couldn't get what they wanted from UK so they decided to go to Australia and pollute the rest of the world with, Australian TV is s...t, they tailgate when your driving etc etc, booh hooh. Give me a tissue.

I'm not interested in people who
Old Feb 9th 2013, 8:39 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Scottishjam
Hahaha, yeh right, like I care, it just proves my point, the truth hurts.
Im not asking for approval, or trying to Make friends, people who continuously have problems with other countries should just leave and no go back to where they came from. Oops only these people were the ones who disliked, couldn't get what they wanted from UK so they decided to go to Australia and pollute the rest of the world with, Australian TV is s...t, they tailgate when your driving etc etc, booh hooh. Give me a tissue.

I'm not interested in people who
And funnily enough BE isn't interested in people who just join to stir trouble.

See ya.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 10:45 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

See ya.
well said
Old Feb 10th 2013, 12:24 am
Banned

pomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of light

See ya.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 1:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saxy
Culture?
Europe beats Oz 'hands down'. Yes you can go to the opera and classical concerts, but there is nothing of much interest before 1788.
Social life outside of the big cities, revolves around the local bowls club, with its restaurant, gambling machines and 'open mic' nights. VERY BORING!!!!!
TV?
I enjoy history, always have and have been to many places because of the historical interest. I am enjoying learning more about Australia's history too and that there is only 250 years or so worth of (modern) history does not make it any less interesting to me.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

See ya.
Don't worry about it, he's only the 'Proof of the Puding'!
Old Feb 10th 2013, 5:36 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Saxy
Don't worry about it, he's only the 'Proof of the Puding'!
I'm not worried, I just banned him and went to bed.

Now lets try and keep this vaguely on topic... Z