Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thinking of leaving australia...again. Ping Pomtastic

Thinking of leaving australia...again. Ping Pomtastic

Old Feb 10th 2013, 9:55 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of leaving australia...again. Ping Pomtastic

See inline in RED
Originally Posted by dave99
I would love to change careers but its all I have ever known and being mid 30's I feel I am a bit to old to go back to uni and start over again from scratch, the big 40 is not that many years away. So I am stuck in the job and its a pain, the people at work are annoying and anti social wherever I am in the world, although for different reasons.
I spent 23 yrs in the Navy and left at 41 with nothing formally accredited or recognised, yet have still made a good second career. Its not all about qualifications, experience plays a big part and a well written CV and job interview preparation is a big win.

I have tried sitting down and making a list, good vs bad of aus and the uk but that doesnt seem to help, they seem to balance out. So does that not prove that its not the country which is the problem??

One factor that does sway me is that the people in the uk seem to make a bit more sense to me. I sometimes struggle with the aussies attitudes, they have strange ideas about things. When I try to get stuff done or move a project forward I hit slack people saying they carnt be bothered to do something, or just wanting to ignore serious problems rather than getting up and fixing them. Theres no procedures or policys for dealing with things, which gets annoying, theres no accountability, its like the wild west sometimes. I think we can all empathise with SOME aspects of these comments, but whats glaring me in the face is your steadfast blame on it being an australian thing...its not...its just different to what you like and are comfortable with

Right now, at this moment, I am feeling that the uk is more like home. I am missing it, despite the weather, the negative attitudes, the bad job prospects and pay. Its still home, but I am worried about its overcrowding, benefit scroungers, and job opportunitys. Read all your comments over the past few posts, you say you are 'positive' yet you really do come across as negative and see the worst in situations/people. On a completely sober point, have you considered that you might be depressed?

I just dont know what to do, I feel lost at sea
Old Feb 11th 2013, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

Lois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by dave99
Thanks everyone for some great replies, I have read through them all several times.

Its good to hear from people who have had the same experiences and feel the same as me.

I still cannot decide whether to stay in aus or go. Some days I get up and decide I am leaving, the next day I might get up and decide I am staying. This morning, after cleaning up dead cockroaches and reading through the comments again I decided I would leave, but by the afternoon I am unsure again.

It is frustrating.
Job wise, as some have said I do dislike my job in the tech industry but I think I will dislike it wherever I am in the world. So really it cancels itself out when debating whether to stay or go. I would love to change careers but its all I have ever known and being mid 30's I feel I am a bit to old to go back to uni and start over again from scratch, the big 40 is not that many years away. So I am stuck in the job and its a pain, the people at work are annoying and anti social wherever I am in the world, although for different reasons.

So, forget work, I can get a job anywhere, it will be bad but its all I can do.

I have tried sitting down and making a list, good vs bad of aus and the uk but that doesnt seem to help, they seem to balance out.

One factor that does sway me is that the people in the uk seem to make a bit more sense to me. I sometimes struggle with the aussies attitudes, they have strange ideas about things. When I try to get stuff done or move a project forward I hit slack people saying they carnt be bothered to do something, or just wanting to ignore serious problems rather than getting up and fixing them. Theres no procedures or policys for dealing with things, which gets annoying, theres no accountability, its like the wild west sometimes.

Right now, at this moment, I am feeling that the uk is more like home. I am missing it, despite the weather, the negative attitudes, the bad job prospects and pay. Its still home, but I am worried about its overcrowding, benefit scroungers, and job opportunitys.

I just dont know what to do, I feel lost at sea
Hi Dave99, I do think without sounding too harsh that perhaps the problem and uncertainity does lie within yourself as a person. Even in your previous post you contradict yourself to some extent, with "i can get a job anywhere" then state that you worry about job opportunities?

Only you can decide what you think is best for you, but if you change your mind from one hour to the next, then what makes you think this wont continue if you do move back to the UK?

Instead of writing pros and cons lists for UK vs Oz, right yourself a list of things you want to achieve in the next 6 months and work through them. Whether it involves improving your work/social life, taking up a hobby, meet-ups, joining a gym etc etc. Just do ONE at a time and focus on that one thing and then move onto the next. Then after 6 months reaccess how you feel. Being so undecided, and already having been in this position before, i wouldnt rush into booking flights just yet.

Always have the glass half full and never half empty and remember there are no problems in life, just situations, and we are all capable of at least trying to change those situations.

Good luck, keep positive.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 5:28 am
Just Joined

Jennifer2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just enjoy. Sit back with a cold drink in your hand & have a laugh while your investment grows.
The UK has been invaded by the Poles & it is slowly going down the pan.

You could dance naked down the street if you seriously desire attention?
Old Feb 11th 2013, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

Lois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jennifer2013
Just enjoy. Sit back with a cold drink in your hand & have a laugh while your investment grows.

Wish there was a 'like' button on here

Yep, polish is officially, englands 2nd language now.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 5:36 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lois1
Wish there was a 'like' button on here

Yep, polish is officially, englands 2nd language now.
What is Australia's?......is it Chinese or Vietnamese?
Old Feb 11th 2013, 5:37 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

What a stupid ignorant post
Old Feb 11th 2013, 5:44 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
What a stupid ignorant post
Looks like you two are 'poles' apart!
Old Feb 11th 2013, 5:47 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Looks like you two are 'poles' apart!
Talking of foreigners look who appears
Old Feb 11th 2013, 5:50 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, the irony of an immigrant complaing about immigrants.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 5:51 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Talking of foreigners look who appears
We're all foreigners
Old Feb 11th 2013, 5:51 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Oh, the irony of an immigrant complaing about immigrants.
She won't like Australia much then
Old Feb 11th 2013, 5:55 am
Bitter and twisted

We're all foreigners
I'm not.......I'm british

....and Australian of course.....and Irish when needed
Old Feb 11th 2013, 5:55 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

We're all foreigners
I loved Foreigner. Lou Gramm had just the best hair!

Old Feb 11th 2013, 6:36 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I loved Foreigner. Lou Gramm had just the best hair!

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/...6902200300.jpg
Saw a great Canadian docu-movie on ABC2 last night - The Story of Anvil.

It was very good.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 6:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

What I notice about Contemporary Britain - both sides of the Anglo-Scottish border is this. If you see a small group of sensible looking young people who are not obese, have neither tatoos nor body-piercings and no aggressive dogs with them, you will find they are probably Polish. They also tend to be more civil and better educated than the natives !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.