Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thinking of leaving

Thinking of leaving

Old Oct 16th 2012, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

DanLD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of leaving

Hello there, I’m 21 years old and almost decided that I want to apply for a 2 year working visa to come to Australia. I won’t go into why I want to leave because I’m sure you’ll all have heard those same things before but I plan to move to Bowral for a few weeks with family and then onto one of the big cities.

Anyway, I’ve been looking at various sites and all the information is a little bit daunting, so I have a couple of questions.

Right now I’m studying BA (Hons) Business Studies with The Open University. I would be able to continue studying and working (that’s my situation here anyway) and by the time my visa is up in 2015 my degree will be over. Would that improve my chances of being allowed a permanent visa? If not, what would?

Obviously I would be looking for work and accommodation (like I say initial accommodation may not be an issue), but how likely is it that I would be able to organise a job/place to stay before I arrive?

I would appreciate any advice and guidance people can give me about my situation. Thanks.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of leaving

Originally Posted by DanLD
Obviously I would be looking for work and accommodation (like I say initial accommodation may not be an issue), but how likely is it that I would be able to organise a job/place to stay before I arrive?
Job probably no go with your minimal experience - best done on the ground as you will have the same experience as many other candidates - nothing to set you apart from the crowd.

Living. Again best done on the ground. Most places won't rent you a place unless you inspect it first. At your age you will probably be flatsharing. Bunk into a hostel, meet some people your own age doing a similar thing then go from there.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 12:15 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Hello there, I’m 21 years old and almost decided that I want to apply for a 2 year working visa
There's no such thing. The WHV is a one year visa with the option of doing a second year if you fulfil certain criteria.

Finishing university while you're here sounds like a plan, but in all honesty it isn't likely to help you stay at the end of your holiday.

Sorry to sound so negative, but you should look at the WHV as a year (or 2 if you can get a second visa) as a fun year of backpacking, not as a route to staying permanently. If you are really serious about living in Australia you need to complete uni, get some experience in an occupation Australia needs and apply for a permanent visa. Unfortunately a BA in Business Studies is not likely to be an in-demand type degree. Nursing, accounting, engineering. Those are the skills Australia needs.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 12:16 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hello there, I’m 21 years old and almost decided that I want to apply for a 2 year working visa to come to Australia. I won’t go into why I want to leave because I’m sure you’ll all have heard those same things before but I plan to move to Bowral for a few weeks with family and then onto one of the big cities.

Anyway, I’ve been looking at various sites and all the information is a little bit daunting, so I have a couple of questions.

Right now I’m studying BA (Hons) Business Studies with The Open University. I would be able to continue studying and working (that’s my situation here anyway) and by the time my visa is up in 2015 my degree will be over. Would that improve my chances of being allowed a permanent visa? If not, what would?

I would appreciate any advice and guidance people can give me about my situation. Thanks.
First thing you need to be aware of is that you can't get a 2 year WHV straight off. You are granted one for a year, then you have to do three months work in a specific area/job in order to get the second year.
http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/work...visa-works.htm
Old Oct 17th 2012, 12:45 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

What family are in Bowral???
Old Oct 17th 2012, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure you could continue your OU studies? I thought about it, was doing something for fun but the pitfalls were: international costs, that they wouldnt send materials overseas and that I would have to fly back more than once a year for exams. Knocked the idea on the head.

The degree is not likely to increase your chances of staying in Australia permanently, degrees seldom if ever mean much on their own.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
There's no such thing. The WHV is a one year visa with the option of doing a second year if you fulfil certain criteria.

Finishing university while you're here sounds like a plan, but in all honesty it isn't likely to help you stay at the end of your holiday.

Sorry to sound so negative, but you should look at the WHV as a year (or 2 if you can get a second visa) as a fun year of backpacking, not as a route to staying permanently. If you are really serious about living in Australia you need to complete uni, get some experience in an occupation Australia needs and apply for a permanent visa. Unfortunately a BA in Business Studies is not likely to be an in-demand type degree. Nursing, accounting, engineering. Those are the skills Australia needs.
Yeah, I know, what I meant by 2 years was that I would most likely then be applying for the 2nd year. I'm looking at it as you suggested, but I will also be looking for my way in permanently.

Originally Posted by Pollyana
First thing you need to be aware of is that you can't get a 2 year WHV straight off. You are granted one for a year, then you have to do three months work in a specific area/job in order to get the second year.
I'm reading your link and that page says I can only work up to 6 months with an employer. Of course I don't know yet if that could be an issue, but do you have experience of that affecting you getting a job? Or does anybody else?

Originally Posted by paddyo
I have an aunt and uncle that live there. Your reply had me thinking you might be one of them, but you're not old enough.

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Are you sure you could continue your OU studies? I thought about it, was doing something for fun but the pitfalls were: international costs, that they wouldnt send materials overseas and that I would have to fly back more than once a year for exams. Knocked the idea on the head.

The degree is not likely to increase your chances of staying in Australia permanently, degrees seldom if ever mean much on their own.
That could be an issue, yeah. I've contacted the relevant people but I'm waiting for a reply.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

When I said 2 year working Visa I just meant that I would most likely be applying for the 2nd year, then looking for my way in.

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I've been looking at that link and it says that the maximum I can work with an employer is 6 months. Have you got experience of that affecting you getting a job? Does anybody else?

Originally Posted by paddyo

I have an Aunt and Uncle living there. Your reply had me thinking you were one of them, but you're too young.

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts

I'm considering that as well. Contacted the relevant people recently and I'm waiting to hear back.