Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thinking about moving to Australia and train to become an electrician

Thinking about moving to Australia and train to become an electrician

Old Aug 13th 2022, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Thinking about moving to Australia and train to become an electrician

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Electrician is a licensed trade though and has quite a few hoops to jump through - and experience, in addition to qualification, is required to start the process.

I also do not think you can do an apprenticeship in Australia if not already at least PR, but not 100% on that.
Your correct, i think he needs another year to be qualified. I thought he had all his relevent qualifications which could be transferred to OZ and then just complete the work experience here. One thing i don't understand is why the OP is seeking a 3 year apprenticeship in Australia when he has already studied it for 3 years in the UK and would just need a year or so of work experience to gain his level 4 to finish it and become registered? Unless i'm incorrect thats how long he needs otherwise if he completes a further 3 years as an apprentice in Australia that is a total of 6 years to become a registered electrician
Old Aug 13th 2022, 8:41 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking about moving to Australia and train to become an electrician

Originally Posted by paddy234
Your correct, i think he needs another year to be qualified. I thought he had all his relevent qualifications which could be transferred to OZ and then just complete the work experience here. One thing i don't understand is why the OP is seeking a 3 year apprenticeship in Australia when he has already studied it for 3 years in the UK and would just need a year or so of work experience to gain his level 4 to finish it and become registered? Unless i'm incorrect thats how long he needs otherwise if he completes a further 3 years as an apprentice in Australia that is a total of 6 years to become a registered electrician
I'm more familiar with the process to get recognised as a qualified sparky, but I've not kept up to date as we don't get many enquiries these days - and I jumped those hoops 10 years ago.

A quick look for that route shows the need for 4 years experience if you have formal training - or 6 years without. It used to say 'post qualification' but can't see that now (but only had a quick look). You present your qualifications, resume, references, etc at stage 1. If successful, stage 2 is a practical assessment including theory test, covering basic domestic, ac/dc theory, transformers, DOL motor starter, safe isolation, disconnection, reconnection, fault finding and compliance testing.

If you successfully pass all that, you are issued an OTSR which enables you to get a provisional license in Australia once you have completed a wiring rules course, capstone test, OHS training and LVR/CPR.

Once you have the provisional, you need to complete sufficient supervised work (and more exams in some states) to be signed off with A Class. It is not a quick process - and not all sparky's pass the stage 2 testing. More info here - https://www.vetassess.com.au/skills-...de-occupations
Old Aug 13th 2022, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I'm more familiar with the process to get recognised as a qualified sparky, but I've not kept up to date as we don't get many enquiries these days - and I jumped those hoops 10 years ago.

A quick look for that route shows the need for 4 years experience if you have formal training - or 6 years without. It used to say 'post qualification' but can't see that now (but only had a quick look). You present your qualifications, resume, references, etc at stage 1. If successful, stage 2 is a practical assessment including theory test, covering basic domestic, ac/dc theory, transformers, DOL motor starter, safe isolation, disconnection, reconnection, fault finding and compliance testing.

If you successfully pass all that, you are issued an OTSR which enables you to get a provisional license in Australia once you have completed a wiring rules course, capstone test, OHS training and LVR/CPR.

Once you have the provisional, you need to complete sufficient supervised work (and more exams in some states) to be signed off with A Class. It is not a quick process - and not all sparky's pass the stage 2 testing. More info here - https://www.vetassess.com.au/skills-...de-occupations
Ah that's good to know. I just read that one without any qualifications whatsoever relying on just experience in some trades can through a "recognition of prior learning with building trades Australia" gain a nationally recognised qualification. This can then be used for the skills assessment
https://everthought.edu.au/rpl-sign-...kaAjqjEALw_wcB

Last edited by paddy234; Aug 13th 2022 at 10:07 am.
Old Aug 13th 2022, 12:41 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddy234
I don't think Australia with today's skill shortages is going to enforce this anyway. They are too busy trying to work their way through the serious backlog of Visa applications
You may be right, but I would be surprised if Immigration just turns a blind eye to such a blatant breaking of a visa requirement. If they choose to remove it from the requirements on a WHV that would be different.
Old Aug 14th 2022, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You may be right, but I would be surprised if Immigration just turns a blind eye to such a blatant breaking of a visa requirement. If they choose to remove it from the requirements on a WHV that would be different.
True, it is definitely risky