Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thinking about the move.

Thinking about the move.

Old Feb 4th 2013, 9:31 am
Just Joined

Michael03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking about the move.

Hey, I'm a 24yrs old and a civil engineer, I’m single and seriously considering moving to Brisbane for a year just before I settle down properly somewhere. The main things holding me back is the thought that i won't know anyone out there and will be heading out there by myself. Does anyone have any good advice about what it's like to live in Brisbane as someone my age? I've lived in London my whole life and don't really know any different.
Also the reason I’ve decided on Brisbane is a know someone who used to work there and may be able to get me a job and I’ve been told there’s not much engineering work in Sidney or Melbourne at the moment.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 11:32 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking about the move.

Originally Posted by Michael03
Hey, I'm a 24yrs old and a civil engineer, I’m single and seriously considering moving to Brisbane for a year just before I settle down properly somewhere. The main things holding me back is the thought that i won't know anyone out there and will be heading out there by myself. Does anyone have any good advice about what it's like to live in Brisbane as someone my age? I've lived in London my whole life and don't really know any different.
Also the reason I’ve decided on Brisbane is a know someone who used to work there and may be able to get me a job and I’ve been told there’s not much engineering work in Sidney or Melbourne at the moment.

You're young, if you have a chance to sample the world then grab it is my advice.

I came out here a bit older than you but I'd recommend you do as I did, join a sports club and you'll soon build up a network of contacts. My cricket team has really helped me integrate.

No shortage of Poms around here either if you feel the need to connect to UK life and culture.

Go travel and enjoy while you can, good luck
Old Feb 4th 2013, 9:20 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Have you looked at what visa you would be coming on? You could get a working holiday, but you're limited to a maximum of 6 months for any employer on that and it's likely to be difficult to find skilled work on it - the WHV is more for backpackers and young people looking for bar work. You could look at a skilled PR visa which would give you the option of staying if you love it at the end of your year. It's much more expensive, but does give permanent residency and options.

Either way, have a look at www.immi.gov.au for your options.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

Scot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to all

Brisbane is a top choice, especially if you're young - catch the 11pm train from the valley on the express line to the Gold Coast and you're in party heaven.

I love Brisbane purely for the fact at how close Gold Coast is, it's a pretty amazing city (both Brisbane and Gold Coast) with lots of upcoming engineering projects (tunnels, motorways, Commonwealth Games in 2018). Not only that, you can fly in and out of Brisbane to the mines if you want to earn some serious $$$. Out of 10 I'd give Brisbane about an 8, great work opportunity but the place is so liveable and just.. different - I've always been impressed every time I go down

As others have said, you won't regret it and will integrate with the people/society in time, it'll be a culture shock at first and you'll start doubting yourself, but once you let your hair down you'll realize why hundreds of thousands of people just like you are flocking to Brisbane and Queensland every year.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

Scot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to all

This should help you out also (only 3 weeks old)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_wu7Mv2q4M
Old Feb 6th 2013, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

big_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud of

Mate, you've got the perfect plan. I'm now back in the UK but I lived in Brisbane from the age of 25 to 29. I didn't know anyone when I went there either.

Not only is it my favourite place in Australia, I also found it easy to meet people and all of my workplaces were really friendly.

Go for it!

If your salary will be decent I'd try and live in or around the cbd if I was you. CBD/Spring Hill/Fortitiude Valley/Kangaroo Point etc. Then you'll be in the heart of everything and can walk everywhere. I didn't use a car in 6 months and that tie period included walking to the cricket/rugby/cinema/work/pubs/football training etc. Great lifestyle.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all of the useful advice scot and matt