Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thinking about getting a car - just need a bit of info please

Thinking about getting a car - just need a bit of info please

Old Dec 13th 2008, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light
Default Thinking about getting a car - just need a bit of info please

Hi
After almost 3 years of relying on the (really rather quite good) public transport around here, we're considering getting a car. We were originally thinking of going down the salary-sacrifice route but tempted to just buy a used car out-right.

What I'm trying to find out, though, is what other costs are there involved in owning a car?

I know we need car insurance but I'm not sure if there's anything else or how much it costs. Is the CTP/Green Slip included in fully comp insurance or is it something else? What & how much is "rego"?

I know we'll also need to set aside some money each month towards servicing and obviously petrol (and getting an e-tag/e-pass etc) but am I missing anything really obvious?

Thanks in advance

TillyG

(apologies if this is in the wrong section of the board - wasn't too sure where to put it!)
Old Dec 13th 2008, 6:59 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Thinking about getting a car - just need a bit of info please

Stamp Duty is payable when you buy a car in Australia, whether New or Used.

This figure varies between the States, and is not always mentioned when you speak to the Car Dealer, until while you are signing up. The seem to expect us all to know about it.

NSW - July 2008 :
Stamp duty is $3 for each $100 (or part $100) of the sale price or market value of the car (whichever is greater) up to $45,000, then $5 for each $100 (or part $100) on the amount above $45,000.

--

The minimum insurance that you must have is the COMPULSORY third party cover.
This may be know by different names in the different Australian States.
In NSW it is normally called a "Green Slip", in Queensland it is known as CTP.

Compulsory Third Party is a compulsory insurance to cover Injury to Third Parties, that must be taken out when registering a motor vehicle.
It covers the owner or driver of the motor vehicle in the event of an accident against any legal liability or obligation that they may have to anyone that they injure, it only covers personal injury, it DOES NOT cover damage to other property, cars etc.

Optional extra covers can be taken out with an insurer of your choice, it can be a different one to the above compulsory cover if you wish.
These covers are normally either Comprehensive cover or Third party Property with Fire and Theft.

---

Rego:
Vehicle registration fees are payable every year on all vehicles. This is the same as the UK Road Fund Licence.
Each State has different fees for this and details can be found at:

NSW - http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...ationfees.html

Motoring