Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

think ive figured out our best option!!?

think ive figured out our best option!!?

Old Oct 9th 2005, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Dawn&Jamie is on a distinguished road
Default think ive figured out our best option!!?

I think we are gonna go for a SKILLED SIR(provisional) VISA, SUBCLASS 495! Seems to be a quick and easy way to go, and probably wont use an agent to keep costs down. Wondered if anyone applying for the same could give me some tips? Many thanks in advance
Old Oct 9th 2005, 2:50 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: think ive figured out our best option!!?

Originally Posted by Dawn&Jamie
I think we are gonna go for a SKILLED SIR(provisional) VISA, SUBCLASS 495! Seems to be a quick and easy way to go, and probably wont use an agent to keep costs down. Wondered if anyone applying for the same could give me some tips? Many thanks in advance

You should be focused on the best way to get to Australia, not the quickest/easiest way.

SIR is only a temporary visa and should only be considered if there are no other visa options. Have you looked at all the alternatives, including finding an Australian employer to sponsor you for a permanent visa?

You still need a skill assessment, state sponsorship and to pass DIMIA requirements for SIR. You will need state sponsorship again at PR visa stage (unless you get an RSMS visa), make sure you choose a state that is serious about sponsorship at this stage of the process.

Jeremy
Old Oct 10th 2005, 1:52 am
SharonC

sharon_gareth is an unknown quantity at this point

Our neighbours moved here on a temporary Visa and wish they had gone the perm route to start with. Read their story here http://www.immigrate-to-a-new-life-i...xperience.html

I would also think twice about if you are best to use an agent too. Think a lot will depend on the Visa you come out here on but I had friends who went without an agent first time round and didn't get in because they did not use the right technical words on the skill assessment. Second application they used an agent and it was easier. I know a few people who have done it on their own and been accepted first time though so it is a personal preference. Us well we thought that the additional pounds to pay an agent was not huge in the scope of the whole move.

Sharon
www.immigrateperth.com
Old Oct 10th 2005, 2:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharon_gareth
Our neighbours moved here on a temporary Visa and wish they had gone the perm route to start with. Read their story here http://www.immigrate-to-a-new-life-i...xperience.html
And there is a particular comment on that page which is not true:

"We had been in Perth for 9 months on the temporary visa which was the required time before applying for permanent residents status."

As far as DIMIA are concerned, there is *no* minimum time provided you meet the requirements. If employers impose arbitrary limits it's their doing, not DIMIA's.

Jeremy
Old Oct 10th 2005, 3:02 am
SharonC

sharon_gareth is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
And there is a particular comment on that page which is not true:

"We had been in Perth for 9 months on the temporary visa which was the required time before applying for permanent residents status."

As far as DIMIA are concerned, there is *no* minimum time provided you meet the requirements. If employers impose arbitrary limits it's their doing, not DIMIA's.

Jeremy
Hi Jeremy

It's a migrant story told by the migrant based on thier experieince as they tell it. You are right with your comment on the mimimum time before applying for a perma visa it depends on the route you take.

Sharon