Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Think I've developed a personality disorder

Think I've developed a personality disorder

Old Mar 20th 2004, 8:31 am
Go Banana's !!

Exclamation Think I've developed a personality disorder

Would really appreciated your thoughts on this one.

After months of planning, waiting, excitement, wanting it so badly and all the usual traumas associated with this process, as some of you know, we got our bond request letter last Friday.

I expected to feel joy beyond description. I expected to laugh and cry all at the same time. Instead I just shook from head to foot, with my stomache doing flips.

This, however is the strange bit. My boss already knew what are plans were and I have now officially handed in my notice. I then embarked on telling everyone all about our plans (I work over 4 sites) so there was alot of people to tell.

As I was telling them I felt I was looking down on myself acting in a play. I was telling everyone how wonderful it will be, why we are going, blah, blah, blah...........but inside I was thinking 'Oh my god - this is now real' and I have this horrible sinking feeling. So on the outside I look happy but on the inside I have this horrible sort of slipping away feeling. I've been 3 days trying to work out how to describe it on here. Work is lovely aswell and my attertude seems different, so I'm really enjoying it.

Is this normal ??????????

I feel it's all slipping away the closer we get to our July - Sept departure. Looking around England doesn't look that bad anymore.

Please help me , feel like I'm going mad :scared:

Jill

Old Mar 20th 2004, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Bella will become famous soon enough

Bananas,

I reckon loads of people will tell you this is completely normal. I was ecstatic when I got news that my application was successful ....for about a day, then I freaked out! And I felt really unsure & scared right up until I left, interspersed with great excitement. I also remember going through the same old stuff over & over again about what a great experience it would be etc & I'm sure sometimes I was just convincing myself.
It is an immense step & personally I don't think anything can really prepare you for the upheaval.

Jayneyray posted a great thread about considering whether you can get all you want without moving to Oz but by relocating in UK. It may be worth doing a search for it.

I have found it very hard to settle & have decided that Oz is not for me in the long term but mr bella has been far happier & found it a liberating experience. I don't regret for a minute, though, giving it a go.

Good luck.
Bella
Old Mar 21st 2004, 8:13 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

I know exactly what you mean, and I felt the same way - telling everyone it was going to be great while on the inside quietly shitting myself most of the time - Although I beilieved it was going tobe great!!

Hubby felt very worried about it all but we came in the end because we wanted to be ables to say we tried inside of we didn't even make it if it didn't work out.

And if it does work out - then great!

You will be fine Jill, one way or the other - get out there and live that dream, girl!
Old Mar 21st 2004, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

bazfer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jill
I feel the same. we leave in 3 weeks:scared: :scared:
I look around at family and friends and wonder why we are going. I look at the lighter evenings, spring flowers and wonder why i want to leave.
Then i remember that it is not always spring here (before i get shouted at, i know it won't be perfect in oz either). I will miss friends and family a huge amount, but i have always moved a lot so know i can make new friends.
I am a person who wants to see lots of the world. i really want oz to work for us, but if it doesn't we will still have gained. then there is the rest of the world to try!!!!!!!!!
We looked really hard at moving in this country about 18 months ago, but it was impossible for us to move, without decreasing our quality of life one way or another.
not sure if my ramblings have helped you, but they have helped me-thanks
Old Mar 21st 2004, 9:18 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Its soooo normal, really! I shook the same as you when we got our visas and felt numb, all at the same time. And the telling family we were really off was hard as they were upset and happy all at the same time and expected you to act REALLY happy even though inside you didnt feel anything except TERROR!!!. no lol what you are feeling is completely normal
Old Mar 21st 2004, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

slowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud of

hey.

im only a whiper snapper but we have recently thought about emigrating and well we started talking about putting our house up for sale and i was sooo excited because i want this more than ever but once the house actually went up for sale my tummy began to flip. and i couldnt work out whether it were excitement or not. (still cant lol)

although i am excited and i also know if we do manage to emigrate it wont be for quite a few years yet you still cant help but think "aarrgghh what if this is all wrong and i hate it" but you never know until you give it ago. and remember you will still have the support of family and friends and they should hopefully back you up and help you all the way... and if you dont like it just think that you were never moving out there it was just a long holiday.

im sure once you have over come your fears you will love it soo much... i really hope all goes well for you.... you will be fine

monkey girl
x
Old Mar 21st 2004, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

neal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Think I've developed a personality disorder

Originally posted by Go Banana's !!
Would really appreciated your thoughts on this one.

After months of planning, waiting, excitement, wanting it so badly and all the usual traumas associated with this process, as some of you know, we got our bond request letter last Friday.

I expected to feel joy beyond description. I expected to laugh and cry all at the same time. Instead I just shook from head to foot, with my stomache doing flips.

This, however is the strange bit. My boss already knew what are plans were and I have now officially handed in my notice. I then embarked on telling everyone all about our plans (I work over 4 sites) so there was alot of people to tell.

As I was telling them I felt I was looking down on myself acting in a play. I was telling everyone how wonderful it will be, why we are going, blah, blah, blah...........but inside I was thinking 'Oh my god - this is now real' and I have this horrible sinking feeling. So on the outside I look happy but on the inside I have this horrible sort of slipping away feeling. I've been 3 days trying to work out how to describe it on here. Work is lovely aswell and my attertude seems different, so I'm really enjoying it.

Is this normal ??????????

I feel it's all slipping away the closer we get to our July - Sept departure. Looking around England doesn't look that bad anymore.

Please help me , feel like I'm going mad :scared:

Jill
THANKGOODNESS THANKGOODNESS THANKGOODNESS!!!!!!I FEEL EXACTLY THE SAME.
:scared: :scared: :scared: Mrs.N
Old Mar 21st 2004, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

Monkey Girl, you do sound so grown up and offer such great advice. I think you would fit right in. Have you been before?

As for all the rest, we are waiting after med etc have been posted and we haven't got the visa yet but I am starting to get all those feeling already!

It is nice to know that lots of you feel the same and that it is normal.

Mandy
Old Mar 21st 2004, 11:41 am
Go Banana's !!

Default Re: Think I've developed a personality disorder

Originally posted by neal
THANKGOODNESS THANKGOODNESS THANKGOODNESS!!!!!!I FEEL EXACTLY THE SAME.
:scared: :scared: :scared: Mrs.N
Hi Guys

Thanks for all the advice, do feel better reading it all, as I thought I was going mad.

I've just hopped on here as I'm spending an exciting mothers day, cleaning, filling in nail holes, hoovering sofas, staging bathrooms with M&S smellies and soft fluffy towels, dusting, cleaning, I Am The House Doctor !! etc...............

I'm knackered already. Got 3 estate agents coming round after work next week mmm........I'm looking forward to that NOT. Hubby goes back tonight. Then the shipping agents are coming round the next week and then we go on the market:scared: and live for the next few months in a perminant state of show home.

Were's the magic wand when you need it ? I hate this bit of moving, once we are there I'm sure I'll be fine

back to cleaning take care guys

Jill

Old Mar 22nd 2004, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

slowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud of

awwww thank you scrawni...

no i have never been there although we r hoping to go to new zealand for about 3 weeks next year if the sale of the house is a success....

monkey girl
x
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

jasper pentop is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it is naturally to worry and feel like you are out of your depth.
I have been living in UK for 3 years and are going back with partner in a few months, I am MORE worried about going home and starting life again than when I came to England alone (and much younger!).
I keep telling myself its just human nature to be comfortable where you are and what you are familiar with, but I do wonder. I cant wait to go home somedays, and other days I panic.... I have to get a proper job again, my friends have become all distant - will we still have things in common, I have to find somewhere to live etc etc etc......
I am just accepting no matter what, there will always be a lingering doubt, a worry at the back of your mind, no matter how much you want to do something!!
Big breath and jump forward!!
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

steve & dee is an unknown quantity at this point

Its called cold feet & it is perfectly normal, it comes with every big descision you make in life, but dont allow it to confuse you, this feeling, numbness, terror etc. does not mean you are making a mistake, you are just nervous about the big but fantastic step you are about to take. I remember when we went the last time in '94, we had loads of nights out to celebrate us leaving, was having so much fun that I thought , hey this is great, why do I want to leave this wonderful place, but then you put it into real terms & realise that it's not fun & games all the time. Even though I've lived in Oz before (for 8 yrs altogether), the last time I went Iwas 24 (now nearly 34!!), & it wasnt for good. So even though I've a rough idea about Oz & homesickness, starting allover etc. its going to be new once again as it will, please God be permanent & we are giving perth a shot this time, but I say embrace it. Be aware of your feelings but dont let them put you off. Best of luck ... Dee
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 6:39 pm
Go Banana's !!

Originally posted by steve & dee
Its called cold feet & it is perfectly normal, it comes with every big descision you make in life, but dont allow it to confuse you, this feeling, numbness, terror etc. does not mean you are making a mistake, you are just nervous about the big but fantastic step you are about to take. I remember when we went the last time in '94, we had loads of nights out to celebrate us leaving, was having so much fun that I thought , hey this is great, why do I want to leave this wonderful place, but then you put it into real terms & realise that it's not fun & games all the time. Even though I've lived in Oz before (for 8 yrs altogether), the last time I went Iwas 24 (now nearly 34!!), & it wasnt for good. So even though I've a rough idea about Oz & homesickness, starting allover etc. its going to be new once again as it will, please God be permanent & we are giving perth a shot this time, but I say embrace it. Be aware of your feelings but dont let them put you off. Best of luck ... Dee

Thanks again, very wise words Dee. It's helped me put it all into perspective and is the very reason why Hubs and I have decided not to have a leaving do. Going to save that for a house warming when we get there !!

Feel X 100 better as just got an e-mail from the family out there and they are all dying to see us and have loads planned,which is great. Got a wedding to go to as we hit the ground. Warren's cousin (who I get on with like a sister) is having a tupperware party in my honour!! and how's this for spooky, there is a soft play den called 'Go Bananas' in Perth !!!!!!!! I swear we didn't know. Will have to buy the t-shirts.

Thanks again
See you in Perth !!!!

Jill

Old Mar 22nd 2004, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

neal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Go Banana's !!
Thanks again, very wise words Dee. It's helped me put it all into perspective and is the very reason why Hubs and I have decided not to have a leaving do. Going to save that for a house warming when we get there !!

Feel X 100 better as just got an e-mail from the family out there and they are all dying to see us and have loads planned,which is great. Got a wedding to go to as we hit the ground. Warren's cousin (who I get on with like a sister) is having a tupperware party in my honour!! and how's this for spooky, there is a soft play den called 'Go Bananas' in Perth !!!!!!!! I swear we didn't know. Will have to buy the t-shirts.

Thanks again
See you in Perth !!!!

Jill
Jill,have sent you a pm.Mrs.N