Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Think before you sink

Think before you sink

Old Sep 8th 2005, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Think before you sink

It amuses me that one person hates a place therefore so should everyone else.

In UK, I lived in London, which I loved (at the time)...my sister would rather live in a cave than in London. So does this mean she should tell everyone to leave London 'as it is an awful place'?
Horses for courses and all that jazz.

Aus is not a Utopian ideal, it is a country with its failings and sucesses and some people will find it better than UK, and some worse (and hopefully this lot will bugger off and leave us in peace )
Old Sep 8th 2005, 11:06 pm
lor
BE Forum Addict

lor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eatstatic
You go to Kwik fit for those, not 1200 miles to another country.

Ha and your so funny!!
Tried,is that alright know ?
Old Sep 8th 2005, 11:07 pm
aussie73

Australia is not a BAD palce, neither is it a GREAT place.

The first few days in Australia are a merry go round of good(ish) weather, wonder at the cheap petrol prices (not now mind) and the space (outside the main cities

Unless you are wealthy enough to live in a good bit of Syd/Mel, you will die a thousand deaths in non descript suburbs, or you could live for cheap in Bourke or Cooper Peddy
l disagree. There are plenty of fantastic places to live in country Australia outside Sydney/ Melbourne, especially small regional cities and towns along the east coast which have some really great scenic countryside and beaches.

Old Sep 8th 2005, 11:22 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aussie73
l disagree. There are plenty of fantastic places to live in country Australia outside Sydney/ Melbourne, especially small regional cities and towns along the east coast which have some really great scenic countryside and beaches.
With fantastic employment opportunities included?
Old Sep 8th 2005, 11:22 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

The first few days in Australia are a merry go round of good(ish) weather, wonder at the cheap petrol prices (not now mind) and the space (outside the main cities).

Give it a month or two and then the realisation sets in that the country is lacking in a few ways compared to the UK/Europe.

The people and the media are very, very inward looking, the outside world only gets mentioned in conversations over sport.

Once you have seen Sydney, Melbourne and the bush and beach, you have pretty much seen the lot.

The cost of living once the Quids are a distant memory is equivelent or worse than Britain.

Aussies have a real big chip on their shoulder concering the POMS.

Unless you are wealthy enough to live in a good bit of Syd/Mel, you will die a thousand deaths in non descript suburbs, or you could live for cheap in Bourke or Cooper Pedy!

You notice that Australia really is full of low IQ rednecks like Wombat 42 that will constantly remind you that "Oz is the best country in the world" even though they have never left the place and have nothing to compare it to.

You then look at your Aussie wages and see why the place is full of wombats 42s, you just cant afford to leave the place!

The supermarkets are expensive and rubbish.

No good beer, curry, chip shops.

Do not even think about watching the TV.

Before I get the "Oh we are moving to OZ to escape being stuck in front of the TV". What do you think you will do when its cold and dark by 5 pm in the Southern states in July.

A very balanced post from a VERY balanced poster....he has a chip on BOTH shoulders....
Old Sep 8th 2005, 11:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hels
A very balanced post from a VERY balanced poster....he has a chip on BOTH shoulders....

Actually I have many chips, the UK variety, not the frozen cardboard in tallow variety you Antipodiens devour either, good honest UK mouth watering fresh cut ones in salt and malt vinegar, oh and a bit of curry sauce, yum
Old Sep 8th 2005, 11:29 pm
Account Closed

Actually I have many chips, the UK variety, not the frozen cardboard in tallow variety you Antipodiens devour either, good honest UK mouth watering fresh cut ones in salt and malt vinegar, oh and a bit of curry sauce, yum

Ohhhh you are a sad little man, arent you?

I cant imaging basing my opinions on a Country purely on the quality of their chips.... You do need to get out more.....
Old Sep 8th 2005, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

Stu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the rough

The first few days in Australia are a merry go round of good(ish) weather, wonder at the cheap petrol prices (not now mind) and the space (outside the main cities).

Give it a month or two and then the realisation sets in that the country is lacking in a few ways compared to the UK/Europe.

The people and the media are very, very inward looking, the outside world only gets mentioned in conversations over sport.

Once you have seen Sydney, Melbourne and the bush and beach, you have pretty much seen the lot.

The cost of living once the Quids are a distant memory is equivelent or worse than Britain.

Aussies have a real big chip on their shoulder concering the POMS.

Unless you are wealthy enough to live in a good bit of Syd/Mel, you will die a thousand deaths in non descript suburbs, or you could live for cheap in Bourke or Cooper Pedy!

You notice that Australia really is full of low IQ rednecks like Wombat 42 that will constantly remind you that "Oz is the best country in the world" even though they have never left the place and have nothing to compare it to.

You then look at your Aussie wages and see why the place is full of wombats 42s, you just cant afford to leave the place!

The supermarkets are expensive and rubbish.

No good beer, curry, chip shops.

Do not even think about watching the TV.

Before I get the "Oh we are moving to OZ to escape being stuck in front of the TV". What do you think you will do when its cold and dark by 5 pm in the Southern states in July.

God, its like a broken record.
Old Sep 8th 2005, 11:32 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lor
Ha and your so funny!!
Tried,is that alright know ?
lor
Old Sep 8th 2005, 11:33 pm
kelly Slater...mmmmmm

Carkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really nice
Angry Re: Think before you sink

slightly annoys me when people have gone out to Oz to live and then whine about it when I would LOVE to emigrate out there but cant as I dont have enough points. Give ME your visa..

I also get annoyed (presuming it doesnt actually apply to this post but I'm on a roll) when people emigrate to Australia (or ANY country) having never actually spent anytime there, they dont know anyone there and expect it to be a carbon copy of the uk except warmer, then when they are there whine about what they miss back home and that its so different from where they are from..what where they expecting? Why would anyone in their right mind move halfway around the world to a country they have only seen on tv (neighbours and home & away really isnt true australia) and read about on the net in books & papers? Even going to a country for a 3 week holiday and then deciding to live there really won't give you a true insight into a country.

I get really wound up when people move to a country and then expect that country to change to suit the immigrant..instead of the immigrant embracing what the country has to offer.

Rant over...had a bad day..feel better now..
Old Sep 8th 2005, 11:36 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Carkedit
slightly annoys me when people have gone out to Oz to live and then whine about it when I would LOVE to emigrate out there but cant as I dont have enough points. Give ME your visa..

I also get annoyed (presuming it doesnt actually apply to this post but I'm on a roll) when people emigrate to Australia (or ANY country) having never actually spent anytime there, they dont know anyone there and expect it to be a carbon copy of the uk except warmer, then when they are there whine about what they miss back home and that its so different from where they are from..what where they expecting? Why would anyone in their right mind move halfway around the world to a country they have only seen on tv (neighbours and home & away really isnt true australia) and read about on the net in books & papers? Even going to a country for a 3 week holiday and then deciding to live there really won't give you a true insight into a country.

I get really wound up when people move to a country and then expect that country to change to suit the immigrant..instead of the immigrant embracing what the country has to offer.

Rant over...had a bad day..feel better now..

and a bloody valid rant it was too.......
Old Sep 8th 2005, 11:47 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

....you never heard of such a thing as a potato, knife and some cooking oil?

No sense of adventure some people

You know what they say though...life's what you make it...and everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Doesn't mean we you are right, and we have to agree with what you say though
Old Sep 8th 2005, 11:47 pm
Account Closed

Ohhhh you are a sad little man, arent you?

I cant imaging basing my opinions on a Country purely on the quality of their chips.... You do need to get out more.....

Me thinks your incarceration in Godzone has robbed you of being able to spot irony,sarcasm and a dash of surreal piss take a mile off.. oh well back to tupperware and Harrys practise for the labotomised.
Old Sep 8th 2005, 11:54 pm
kelly Slater...mmmmmm

Carkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really nice

and a bloody valid rant it was too.......
Old Sep 8th 2005, 11:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=eatstatic]Me thinks your incarceration in Godzone ........QUOTE]

The godzone and defenders of utopia have their own forum(s) now its wonderful you can now post on BE without having the aus police jump down your neck. Didnt you get the invite to join PM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.