Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Think before you leave your social life behind ladies

Think before you leave your social life behind ladies

Old Nov 30th 2004, 10:38 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Think before you leave your social life behind ladies

Ever wondered what Aussie ladies do for fun in those lovely sprawling suburbs???

Well, the pubs are crap, the TV unwatchable, the rampant rabbit has flat batteries and you can only have a certain amount of BBQs before your arteries harden.

Solution

http://www.tupperware.com.au/dir063/...ges/fundraiser

Bet the UK lady refugees cannot wait.

Last edited by eatstatic; Nov 30th 2004 at 10:40 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2004, 10:51 pm
scoobydoo

Default Re: Think before you leave your social life behind ladies

Originally Posted by eatstatic
Ever wondered what Aussie ladies do for fun in those lovely sprawling suburbs???

Well, the pubs are crap, the TV unwatchable, the rampant rabbit has flat batteries and you can only have a certain amount of BBQs before your arteries harden.

Solution

You had better give them the links to Nutrimetics, Avon, Creative Memories and all the other lovely party plan activities used to fill in the days here.

Old Dec 1st 2004, 12:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scoobydoo
You had better give them the links to Nutrimetics, Avon, Creative Memories and all the other lovely party plan activities used to fill in the days here.

Candles and cleaning cloth parties sent my pulse soaring :scared: I think it was about then I decided it may not be quite for me
Old Dec 1st 2004, 12:32 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Solution

Go shopping - for new batteries??
Old Dec 1st 2004, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Solution

People I know spend their spare time doing the type of stuff that people do everywhere. They go to the gym, they go to the beach or pool, they walk in the park, they meet friends for coffee or lunch or dinner, they take classes (daytime or evening), they play sport, they go shopping. They certainly don't spend all their spare time going to non-stop Party-plan type parties.

If you don't like these parties (feels too much like sponging off your friends to me) then don't accept the invitation. No-one twists your arm.

And, if the only activities available in your area are Party-plan parties then I'd suggest you're living in the wrong place - or have the wrong friends.
Old Dec 1st 2004, 1:33 am
wombat42

Solution

As you say the Pubs and TV are crap in OZ compared to the Uk, but in OZ we have other things to do besides watch TV and go to the Pub. Its not suprising that both these British pass times are indoor activities considering the crap cold rainy weather you have. IN OZ most people live near the beach and there are plenty of parks and open spaces and a nice sunny climate to enjoy outdoor activities. Our Arteries might widen from BBQ's but its better then them hardening from sitting in front of a TV all day eating junk food.

Last edited by wombat42; Dec 1st 2004 at 2:40 am.

Old Dec 1st 2004, 1:33 am
scoobydoo

Originally Posted by nickyc
People I know spend their spare time doing the type of stuff that people do everywhere. They go to the gym, they go to the beach or pool, they walk in the park, they meet friends for coffee or lunch or dinner, they take classes (daytime or evening), they play sport, they go shopping. They certainly don't spend all their spare time going to non-stop Party-plan type parties.

If you don't like these parties (feels too much like sponging off your friends to me) then don't accept the invitation. No-one twists your arm.

And, if the only activities available in your area are Party-plan parties then I'd suggest you're living in the wrong place - or have the wrong friends.

You are right of course Nicky..people do other activities as well!!!

BUT...since we have been here I have never seen so many of the party plan stuff in my life. Maybe it was around in the UK but no one I knew did it! Along with all the emphasis on crafts and scrapbooks etc I think I am living in the wrong place. It feels too much like a Stepford world to me....the women where I live spend their spare time at the hairdressers, beauty parlour, coffee shops. I prefer going out on a p*ss up down the local, being out in the fresh air, gardening etc. Its dead boring in this particular area!! We will move!

Old Dec 1st 2004, 1:54 am
rudo1ph

OMG - I just (literally) had a call from a friend inviting me to a jewelry party!!!!!

Old Dec 1st 2004, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

No Anne Summers parties then?
Old Dec 1st 2004, 7:45 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue from Manchester
No Anne Summers parties then?
You missed one at my place last week - had a great time - and just got my order - shall be busy for a while!!!

Tracey
Old Dec 1st 2004, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

I can't believe I nearly fell for it too - and just this week. Down at the gym (fitness first) Nutrimetics had a stall and you could put your name down to win a basket of cosmetics and there were various other prizes including facials. Stupid me put my name down and guess what - I got a phone call yesterday "congratulations you've won a second prize - please get 5 friends together and you can use $100 worth of our products and get a facial and shoulder massage". I found it a bit weird and then questioned some friends - they all groaned and told me I would just be more or less obliged to buy their over-priced products and be massaged by an unqualified person. How disappointing - just too good to be true! Going to have to look for a massage and facial elsewhere
Old Dec 1st 2004, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Candles and cleaning cloth parties sent my pulse soaring :scared: I think it was about then I decided it may not be quite for me
Me either...................!!!!!!
Old Dec 1st 2004, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by nickyc
People I know spend their spare time doing the type of stuff that people do everywhere. .

Think you may be right-I'm living in the wrong place............
Old Dec 1st 2004, 9:19 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wombat42
As you say the Pubs and TV are crap in OZ compared to the Uk, but in OZ we have other things to do besides watch TV and go to the Pub. Its not suprising that both these British pass times are indoor activities considering the crap cold rainy weather you have. IN OZ most people live near the beach and there are plenty of parks and open spaces and a nice sunny climate to enjoy outdoor activities. Our Arteries might widen from BBQ's but its better then them hardening from sitting in front of a TV all day eating junk food.
Just as you think that Wombat cannot possibly make a bigger fool of himself than previously, he wins the award for ignoramus of the decade.

First of all burrowing marsupial knuckleheaded one, how does eating a load of lardy BBQ meat "widen" your arteries? Surely you mean fat cloggs them up? As for Brits eating junk food in front of TVs, I met many Aussies who loved eating 5 buck pizzas/Maccas in front of the simpsons.

At leeast you admit your pubs are dire, guess even a parochial aussie like you cannot deny such a glaring fact.
Old Dec 1st 2004, 9:27 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Just as you think that Wombat cannot possibly make a bigger fool of himself than previously, he wins the award for ignoramus of the decade.

First of all burrowing marsupial knuckleheaded one, how does eating a load of lardy BBQ meat "widen" your arteries? Surely you mean fat cloggs them up? As for Brits eating junk food in front of TVs, I met many Aussies who loved eating 5 buck pizzas/Maccas in front of the simpsons.

At leeast you admit your pubs are dire, guess even a parochial aussie like you cannot deny such a glaring fact.
Well, the reason British Pubs exist at all is that the British working man's hovel is so small it is impossible to wield a bottle opener.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.