Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Things you wish you'd known before arriving in Australia..

Things you wish you'd known before arriving in Australia..

Old Aug 5th 2006, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

emu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Things you wish you'd known before arriving in Australia..

Originally Posted by Deer Hunter
You must be that t*at who wears Thomas Pink shirts then are you?
Sorry, don't really get that one. Isn't Thomas Pink just for the Essex boys who think they've hit the big time? It's tailored or nothing as far as I'm concerned.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 3:21 pm
Lovin' the sun!

Suse&Neil is just really niceSuse&Neil is just really niceSuse&Neil is just really niceSuse&Neil is just really niceSuse&Neil is just really niceSuse&Neil is just really niceSuse&Neil is just really niceSuse&Neil is just really niceSuse&Neil is just really niceSuse&Neil is just really niceSuse&Neil is just really nice
Unhappy Re: Things you wish you'd known before arriving in Australia..

Well guys, up to this point I found this site useful and interesting. I have learnt a lot from many of the posts on here. I just feel disapointed at how you guys are just misusing this thread.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 3:21 pm
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by emu72
Sorry, don't really get that one. Isn't Thomas Pink just for the Essex boys who think they've hit the big time? It's tailored or nothing as far as I'm concerned.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 3:29 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Suse&Neil
Well guys, up to this point I found this site useful and interesting. I have learnt a lot from many of the posts on here. I just feel disapointed at how you guys are just misusing this thread.

Don't give up !

Some threads are hijacked...but can be brought back.

There is lots of good info here...and plenty of people who are will to advise, cheer you up, as well as have a laugh with.

Cas
Old Aug 5th 2006, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

emu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Suse&Neil
Sorry Suse or Neil, but this is a PUBLIC forum and people are free to write anything they want as long as it's not offensive or otherwise contrary to the BE rules.

I'm not sure exactly how you can 'misuse' a thread anyway. Get a life.

Last edited by emu72; Aug 5th 2006 at 3:31 pm. Reason: typo
Old Aug 5th 2006, 3:31 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hutch
Someone suggested this in another thread and so I'm happy to oblige, because I think it's a good idea.

Can I make one tiny request. Could we pleeeeeeeeease keep this to genuinely useful information, rather than turning it into the usual bun fight between the 'defenders of the faith' and the 'Oz is bollocks' crews. Information, good or bad, but not stupid generalisations and opinion. I don't hold out much hope , but let's see how it goes.
That you could wake up each morning in a huge house, sit on the balcony looking out to sea, the air full of parrots from the woodland next to your home... and still think that this place sucks.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
That you could wake up each morning in a huge house, sit on the balcony looking out to sea, the air full of parrots from the woodland next to your home... and still think that this place sucks.
Be careful or you'll be upsetting Suse...
Old Aug 5th 2006, 3:35 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by emu72
Be careful or you'll be upsetting Suse...
I thought that that could be classed as useful advice...
Old Aug 5th 2006, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I thought that that could be classed as useful advice...
You know better than that... Anything negative is definitely not useful on this forum!
Old Aug 5th 2006, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

That you are starting on the friendship ladder again and you will be conscious of making friends rather than people who seem to have always been there.

If people have their own circle of friends sometimes it is harder to break in because they may not want any more to join their circle. Making friends with other migrants is often much easier and they will often have more sympathy towards you and try and make the transition easier for you.

To keep away from any moaning Brits or others it will only drag you down. Making friends with others from different cultures etc, will also broaden your outlook or life and may even change some of your views on life.

That if you pre-date a cheque, in the view of helping your cash flow, you may find if you have the funds the bank will cash it. It happened to me.

That if you drive 40km over the speed limit it may result in an instant ban for a month.....again happened to me. The copper didn't take my excuse that my aircon wasn't working and I was trying to get more air into the car.

That each State and its people do vary, you may in one State find the natives not very friendly but in other states they may be more so.

How complete strangers will offer their hospitality to you, and will make an effort to introduce you to people, especially if you are single.

How much easier it is for a single woman to go out without people staring and how many women do run their own successful businessess.

That not all Australians are unclutured yobs, like not all Brits aren't either. Look and you will find nice, friendly, intelligent people etc. If you don't then you're not looking in the right places.

That the size of spiders ie the Huntsman can cure you from any phobias, especially if you think of them as a small animal who is probably terrified of you. The size helps in thinking they are a small animal, rather than a big insect.

That they often do travel in pairs so if you find one, there is usually another. Also in the car they do come in through the airvent, again in pairs . So don't park under trees, especially with the windows open as when you come out of wherever, ie restaurant, pub, you will have an extra passenger. It isn't very pleasant to have one crawl over your shoulder when you are driving to see where you are going to, especially when you don't know he has hitched a ride.

That most snakes will try and avoid you if you do happen to come across them.

Crocodiles will travel across land, so if you are a woman menustrating, at a water hole or camping in croc country, they will scent and possibly hunt you. Told to me why an aborginal woman as a warning. Same with sharks, they can sniff you out miles away and can swim in very shallow water.

That the seafood is addictive and if you leave you will have cravings, and it is so cheap.

If you want to get on and make friends don't compare it to UK especially publically.

The chocolate isn't that great but the swiss chocolate is a good subsitute, but anything else tastes pretty yuk. If you have a craving for it and at a friends house, you will probably find it in the fridge along with the choccy biscuits, so save yourself some time in checking all the cupboards..

That some Australians may feel very comfortable in your home and don't have a problem in helping themselves to tea/coffee/beer etc.

That if you go to a BBQ you are expected to take something like a salad, dessert, plus your drink. Also if you have a bbq, and you are used to providing expect them to turn up with meat, salad, drink etc. I found it hard to ask people to bring things initially to a bbq.

It can be lonely intitially but your friends can also become subsitute family and be very close if you want them to.

Each State does vary on climate and some British summer things can be too hot for Australia, likewise winter stuff, unless you are in some parts of Victoria.

That in some states people do walk around barefooted and it is the norm. You may even find yourself doing it after a while.

That many people are more interested in you as a person and not material wealth you have or what you do for a job, when meeting you. They either will like you or not, based on your personality. If they think you are a dickhead they generally will tell you. That can be a bit of a shock if you are used to saying someone is a dickhead behind their back to 40 people. The Aussies tend to tell you straight rather than waste their breath in moaning to 40 people. You then have the choice to take note or ignore and have more tell you that you are a dickhead in the future.

You may hate a place initially but you may change your mind. Places are the people you meet at the end of the day.

Real Estate Agents can rip you off, instead of filling in the form on damages, scratches on a place you rent, take photos of everything, in that way you may get all your bond back. Many Landlords or Real Estate Agents often won't give you your whole bond back, as they will dispute damages etc....a photo says a thousand words and if you take it to the tribunal you may have more of a case of winning.

Remember that some things are said that can be taken the wrong way but actually are innocent remarks, its all about how each communicate. It took me a while to realise that often what may be viewed as rude in fact wasn't meant to be.

And finally you have decided to emigrate it is upto you to fit into your new country, not the other way around. You may experience a culture shock and if anyone calls you a bitch or a bastard it probably is said in endearment rather than actually insulting you.

If you like history, European culture etc, you may find Oz a bit bland, the cities are at least 9 hours drive away from each other in the Southern hemisphere and then go into days as you go further north. Even New Zealand is a 5ish hour flight from Melbourne to Auckland. It looked a lot closer on the map...

Old Aug 5th 2006, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Poppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercedes
That you are starting on the friendship ladder again and you will be conscious of making friends rather than people who seem to have always been there.

If people have their own circle of friends sometimes it is harder to break in because they may not want any more to join their circle. Making friends with other migrants is often much easier and they will often have more sympathy towards you and try and make the transition easier for you.

To keep away from any moaning Brits or others it will only drag you down. Making friends with others from different cultures etc, will also broaden your outlook or life and may even change some of your views on life.

That if you pre-date a cheque, in the view of helping your cash flow, you may find if you have the funds the bank will cash it. It happened to me.

That if you drive 40km over the speed limit it may result in an instant ban for a month.....again happened to me. The copper didn't take my excuse that my aircon wasn't working and I was trying to get more air into the car.

That each State and its people do vary, you may in one State find the natives not very friendly but in other states they may be more so.

How complete strangers will offer their hospitality to you, and will make an effort to introduce you to people, especially if you are single.

How much easier it is for a single woman to go out without people staring and how many women do run their own successful businessess.

That not all Australians are unclutured yobs, like not all Brits aren't either. Look and you will find nice, friendly, intelligent people etc. If you don't then you're not looking in the right places.

That the size of spiders ie the Huntsman can cure you from any phobias, especially if you think of them as a small animal who is probably terrified of you. The size helps in thinking they are a small animal, rather than a big insect.

That they often do travel in pairs so if you find one, there is usually another. Also in the car they do come in through the airvent, again in pairs . So don't park under trees, especially with the windows open as when you come out of wherever, ie restaurant, pub, you will have an extra passenger. It isn't very pleasant to have one crawl over your shoulder when you are driving to see where you are going to, especially when you don't know he has hitched a ride.

Crocodiles will travel across land, so if you are a woman menustrating, at a water hole or camping in croc country, they will scent and possibly hunt you. Told to me why an aborginal woman as a warning. Same with sharks, they can sniff you out miles away and can swim in very shallow water.

That the seafood is addictive and if you leave you will have cravings, and it is so cheap.

If you want to get on and make friends don't compare it to UK especially publically.

The chocolate isn't that great but the swiss chocolate is a good subsitute, but anything else tastes pretty yuk. If you have a craving for it and at a friends house, you will probably find it in the fridge along with the choccy biscuits, so save yourself some time in checking all the cupboards..

That some Australians may feel very comfortable in your home and don't have a problem in helping themselves to tea/coffee/beer etc.

That if you go to a BBQ you are expected to take something like a salad, dessert, plus your drink. Also if you have a bbq, and you are used to providing expect them to turn up with meat, salad, drink etc. I found it hard to ask people to bring things initially to a bbq.

It can be lonely intitially but your friends can also become subsitute family and be very close if you want them to.

Each State does vary on climate and some British summer things can be too hot for Australia, likewise winter stuff, unless you are in some parts of Victoria.

That in some states people do walk around barefooted and it is the norm. You may even find yourself doing it after a while.

That many people are more interested in you as a person and not material wealth you have or what you do for a job, when meeting you. They either will like you or not, based on your personality. If they think you are a dickhead they generally will tell you. That can be a bit of a shock if you are used to saying someone is a dickhead behind their back to 40 people. The Aussies tend to tell you straight rather than waste their breath in moaning to 40 people. You then have the choice to take note or ignore and have more tell you that you are a dickhead in the future.

You may hate a place initially but you may change your mind. Places are the people you meet at the end of the day.

Real Estate Agents can rip you off, instead of filling in the form on damages, scratches on a place you rent, take photos of everything, in that way you may get all your bond back. Many Landlords or Real Estate Agents often won't give you your whole bond back, as they will dispute damages etc....a photo says a thousand words and if you take it to the tribunal you may have more of a case of winning.

Remember that some things are said that can be taken the wrong way but actually are innocent remarks, its all about how each communicate. It took me a while to realise that often what may be viewed as rude in fact wasn't meant to be.

And finally you have decided to emigrate it is upto you to fit into your new country, not the other way around. You may experience a culture shock and if anyone calls you a bitch or a bastard it probably is said in endearment rather than actually insulting you.

If you like history, European culture etc, you may find Oz a bit bland, the cities are at least 9 hours drive away from each other in the Southern hemisphere and then go into days as you go further north. Even New Zealand is a 5ish hour flight from Melbourne to Auckland. It looked a lot closer on the map...

what a great post,,thank you
Old Aug 5th 2006, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

ozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really nice

Very useful, well written and informative.......thank you
Old Aug 5th 2006, 9:52 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Absolutely spot on!

Karma worthy

[ooopps...tried...but apparently I must spread around first... I.O.U ]
Old Aug 5th 2006, 10:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! Thanks for taking the time to write that, brilliant

Old Aug 5th 2006, 10:11 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

great post, thanks
tiggs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.