Reload this Page >

Things we should be doing

Things we should be doing

Old Sep 17th 2004, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

RichnKim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Things we should be doing

Hi All

Now we finally have a buyer for the house. We have started thinking about the nittygritty of what needs to be done before we get on the plane.

A few things we have come up with:

Medical records from the doc's did you take them with you, ask the doctors surgery to send them on or other?

Dentist records as above ?

State Pensions( What happens to all the money I've put in for the last twenty years). Is that it then. All gone ?

Any ideas or comments as usual, warmly welcomed.

Rgds

Rich
Old Sep 17th 2004, 1:25 pm
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Things we should be doing

Originally Posted by RichnKim
Hi All

Now we finally have a buyer for the house. We have started thinking about the nittygritty of what needs to be done before we get on the plane.

A few things we have come up with:

Medical records from the doc's did you take them with you, ask the doctors surgery to send them on or other?

Dentist records as above ?

State Pensions( What happens to all the money I've put in for the last twenty years). Is that it then. All gone ?

Any ideas or comments as usual, warmly welcomed.

Rgds

Rich
Medical records, ask the doctor ours will not release them, however we understand this is not a problem

Dentist ditto

State Pension, will remain frozen and then you can draw it at pensionable age. Be aware though that it will not be much with 20 years input!!

Good Luck

Paul J
Old Sep 17th 2004, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers Paul

Anybody else hada problem with medical records ?
Old Sep 17th 2004, 2:13 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichnKim
Cheers Paul

Anybody else hada problem with medical records ?
Do a search, its been discussed many times!
Legally, under the Data Protection Act, you have a right to have a copy of the records, and they have the right to charge a reasonable fee. If the doctor refuses, complain to the NHS Trust - to whom the records will go if you tell your practice you are emigrating and no longer wish to be registered.
However - in Oz there is no system of medical records, you can go to whatever doctor you like, different one each time if you want. I have been twice, told them what I had in the UK for the same problem, and they just prescribed it again - if they hadn't, I could just go somewhere else.
If you have an ongoing condition, and would like your records for reference, i would suggest that you pursue the issue, otherwise its not worth it.

I got mine more for interest than anything else, only to find that MY file contained details of a condition my mother had twenty years ago......and details of a tonsil removal done to someone completely different in 1971! Bit of a shock that one, I was sure I would remember if my tonsils had been removed - not impressed by the filing! So check your records, and make sure they are all yours!
Old Sep 17th 2004, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Salli is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
we've asked in our Drs and were told that we can get a copy of what is held on computer for £10 each. To get copies of the paper bits of our records (our surgery is not fully computerised) costs 10p per sheet of paper they photocopy.
Old Sep 17th 2004, 3:05 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Salli
Hi there,
we've asked in our Drs and were told that we can get a copy of what is held on computer for £10 each. To get copies of the paper bits of our records (our surgery is not fully computerised) costs 10p per sheet of paper they photocopy.
Thats the way a decent surgery should do it! Unfortunately a lot of people on here have encountered a less friendly reaction. Makes you wonder what the doctor is worried about - finding out what was written about you maybe - mine had a couple of rather personal remarks about the way my parents were looking after me - that sounds bad, so I'd better qualify it; they refused to send me to school with bronchitis, the doc said I was being mollycoddled!
Old Sep 17th 2004, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

Salli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thats the way a decent surgery should do it! Unfortunately a lot of people on here have encountered a less friendly reaction. Makes you wonder what the doctor is worried about - finding out what was written about you maybe - mine had a couple of rather personal remarks about the way my parents were looking after me - that sounds bad, so I'd better qualify it; they refused to send me to school with bronchitis, the doc said I was being mollycoddled!

Our surgery is a small village surgery...maybe it makes a difference if it's not a huge place...or else, maybe the Drs are just concerned about the quality of their writing...I'm not sure what use my notes will be given the fact that noone can understand his writing on prescriptions!

It's a shame that places cause such fuss about things that should be so simple
Old Sep 17th 2004, 3:35 pm
Go Banana's !!

Originally Posted by Jacko1
Medical records, ask the doctor ours will not release them, however we understand this is not a problem

Dentist ditto

State Pension, will remain frozen and then you can draw it at pensionable age. Be aware though that it will not be much with 20 years input!!

Good Luck

Paul J
Paul,
They can't refuse you your legal right to have a copy of your records. I went through this with our doctors in Consett and a friend of mine is the GP.

There is normally a form to fill in to prove who you are and they shouldn't charge anymore than £10. We got all of ours for nothing as I created such a stink when the receptionist told me I couldn't have them. I demanded to see the practice manager who then agreed I could have them.

I had the same problem last week when a spotty 16 year old receptionist told me they didn't do them and I would have to apply to the health trust in Durham !! I told her she was talking bollocks as I had got my wifes and daughters here two months ago and could I see the practice manager AGAIN ! She came out and had already photocopied mine when I had asked for Jill's in July. I politely told her there was a staff training requirement !!

Warren

Old Sep 17th 2004, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Go Banana's !!
Paul,
They can't refuse you your legal right to have a copy of your records. I went through this with our doctors in Consett and a friend of mine is the GP.

There is normally a form to fill in to prove who you are and they shouldn't charge anymore than £10. We got all of ours for nothing as I created such a stink when the receptionist told me I couldn't have them. I demanded to see the practice manager who then agreed I could have them.

I had the same problem last week when a spotty 16 year old receptionist told me they didn't do them and I would have to apply to the health trust in Durham !! I told her she was talking bollocks as I had got my wifes and daughters here two months ago and could I see the practice manager AGAIN ! She came out and had already photocopied mine when I had asked for Jill's in July. I politely told her there was a staff training requirement !!

Warren

Quote"I politely told her there was a staff training requirement"

Nice one. Warren.

I wish I was that quick