Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Things to take with you.

Things to take with you.

Old Apr 4th 2007, 4:15 pm
Lisa

LisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to all
Default Things to take with you.

Hi all
Apart from the kids and OH what are or have people taken with them when emigrating.
Have you packed everything white goods, T.V, P.C, beds and bedding. C.ds DVDS
I know I will be taking my sofa and beds and P.C(new one only bought nov). What about christmas decs and tree.
What size container?
We did a huge carboot last year in anticipation but we still have so much crap.
Do you take your crap or just hire a skip?
I have saved so much from when my kids were little as i'm a bit sentimental, is there any room for sentimentality when emigrating?

I know this thread is a bit random but i'm feeling a bit that way at the moment.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Things to take with you.

Hi Lisa. we are a long way off from going yet but have the same problem with keeping kids stuff! I also keep christmas and birthday cards etc. Had a big box of them that kept getting dragged from house to house . Hubby came up with the idea of scanning the small pictures, the front of and messages in the cards onto a disc and making 2 copies. I now have a few big cards and pictures left that will come with us and can look at the other stuff whenever I want to.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 4:49 pm
Lisa

LisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TMRE
Hi Lisa. we are a long way off from going yet but have the same problem with keeping kids stuff! I also keep christmas and birthday cards etc. Had a big box of them that kept getting dragged from house to house . Hubby came up with the idea of scanning the small pictures, the front of and messages in the cards onto a disc and making 2 copies. I now have a few big cards and pictures left that will come with us and can look at the other stuff whenever I want to.
OMG I hadn't even thought of cards and things like that (I fainted for a bit there).
Good idea about scanning will have to have a go at that thanks.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of multi-plug banks, so you need fewer adaptors when you first arrive and can plug all your UK appliances in to the plug-bank.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

devilishdean will become famous soon enoughdevilishdean will become famous soon enough

My son just bought me some new flip flops for me birthday so thats me sorted. The wife keeps baging on about other stuff buts thats her department.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 12:23 pm
Lisa

Originally Posted by esperanza
Lots of multi-plug banks, so you need fewer adaptors when you first arrive and can plug all your UK appliances in to the plug-bank.
What a great idea.
Thanks for that.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 12:24 pm
Lisa

Originally Posted by devilishdean
My son just bought me some new flip flops for me birthday so thats me sorted. The wife keeps baging on about other stuff buts thats her department.

If only it was as simple as that LOL
Old Apr 5th 2007, 1:36 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LisaD_uk
If only it was as simple as that LOL
Lisa I am in the packing process as we speak, kids toys, we are going through them together, they are enjoying doing this. Others that are good we are giving to others in the family who have children, some things we are keeping at the outloaws tucked away in the attic. I am not taking any old cards, throw them all its all sentimental rubbish that you will never look at again. School stuff the kids have brought home is nice to keep, as is old reports and obviously all your qualifications etc, there is a whole host of paperwork to consider. I am nicely filing mine in a pouch to take inflight as we will need most of it when we get there. I am taking the childrens douvet covers etc , those kiddie ones, I am also taking all my music and all our clothes, the rest is being sold, beds, furniture, bikes, outdoor toys etc, Kitchen stuff.

I believe that most stuff that doesn't have great value can be replaced for less cost especially household items, I am lucky that most of our stuff is getting old, I have restrained from buying anything for the last two years in the hope that we can buy new in Australia, luckily we are able to. So out with the old and in with the new....

Good luck, its a very time consuming but enjoyable process, escpecially looking at all those things you own but have not looked at for ages..

Enjoy

Last edited by Brisben; Apr 5th 2007 at 1:38 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 1:42 pm
Lisa

Originally Posted by Brisben
Lisa I am in the packing process as we speak, kids toys, we are going through them together, they are enjoying doing this. Others that are good we are giving to tohers in the family who have children, some things we are keeping at the outloaws tucked away in the attic. I am not taking any old cards, throw them all its all sentimental rubbish that you will never look at again. School stuff the kids have brought home is nice to keep, as is old reports and obviously all your qualifications etc, there is a whole host of paperwork to consider. I am nicely filing mine in a puch to take inflight as we will need most of it when we get there. I am taking the childrens douvet covers etc , those kiddie ones, I am also taking all my music and all our clothes, the rest is being sold, beds, furniture, bikes, outdoor toys etc,

I believe that most stuff that doesn't have great value can be replaced for less cost especially household items, I am lucky that most of our stuff is getting old, I have restrained from buying anything for the last two years in the hope that we can buy new in Australia, luckily we are able to. So out with the old and in with the new....

Good luck, its a very time consuming but enjoyable process, escpecially looking at all those things you own but have not looked at for ages..

Enjoy

You sound like you have the right idea.
I am actually dreading the thought of packing, my chest goes tight my heart feels like its going to explode and we don't even have a CO or meds and pccs done so we are ages away.
I am such a drama queen.
Mind you i'm not the only one on here going mad i observe others LOL
Old Apr 5th 2007, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

devilishdean will become famous soon enoughdevilishdean will become famous soon enough

We have found the packing thing very liberating!!!
sorting out your old junk and throwingit away. The local charity shop has had a field day.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

Navis is on a distinguished road

We have found the packing thing very liberating!!!
sorting out your old junk and throwingit away. The local charity shop has had a field day.
Be ruthless, think do I really want to transport this 10000 miles? What does it REALLY mean to me? If you have not looked at it or used it in over a year bin it!!
Old Apr 5th 2007, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

I'm sure you mean "thongs"!
Old Apr 5th 2007, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

What about books? Last time we took them all. This time I have said they have got to go ..... but I will just keep that one, oh and this one, until I'm back to where I first started. :curse:

Mandy
Old Apr 5th 2007, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

willywonka is an unknown quantity at this point

we had a major clear out last weekend, got rid of loads of stuff, but when i look at all the crap we still have i know we will end up getting a skip nearer the time!!! my husband kept wanting to keep stuff....yeah right, when his back was turned it went into a black bag, and he unknowingly took it to the tip!! ha ha
Old Apr 5th 2007, 9:58 pm

Alana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to behold

We go in 4 weeks.
Shipped out 5 boxes-mainly kids toys-dolls house,buzz lightyear etc !!We had one box for ourselves which now contains 2 dismantled guitars,HIfi and my ever important photos.We also sent a book box with a few cook books and special kids books.
Other than that,its what we can fit in the suitcases.I am getting my Dad to send out kids duvet covers cos they have matching items for their bedrooms and I wanted to take some familiar things for their new rooms.( not sure will need duvets,but I cant leave them!)
All our sentimental items like kids drawings etc,we are leaving in dads loft.We had a huge clear out 6 months ago and hired a skip but I still need to do another car boot soon.
Will buy everything again on arrivel but just essentials,the rest will have to wait.
Andy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.