Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Things seem better now after six months of being here...

Things seem better now after six months of being here...

Old May 27th 2005, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice
Default Things seem better now after six months of being here...

Hi all,

Apologies for the lack of posts since we migrated. Been so busy.

Wellwe landed on the 8th December 2004, initally moving into my cousin's house for a few weeks (which nearly drove us crazy) before renting a modest little unit.
Found getting work to be the biggest problem here. Crappy little jobs that in the UK people would be glad to find an employee for, they want "experienced" people. We often laugh at some of the job adverts - sandwich makers, MUST be experienced. If only I had the skills!!!

I fortunately found myself a skilled job as a Packaging design engineer, before that I was doing 5am - 3pm shifts in KOO-WE-RUP as a printers assistant. Filthy job, but just about kept us above water.We also done some apple picking with the travellers for a handsome $15 an hour. All good experience and can laugh about it now.
Overall no regrets, there's some plusses and minuses. Driving skills are just plain frightening here (watch out for the "P" platers) this is a provisional licence and most set off in a manner as if there was a prize for loosing it the quickest. Customer services (or lack of) are another little gem here.

As far as work goes, well some do work longer hours here, but in my opinion they don't work half as hard as in the UK. Not that I'm complaining.

Its great to be only 20 mins from the beach and have never seen so much blue sky since we have been here. You do genuinely feel better in yourself just for having a bluer sky and seeing the sun more frequently. Its only around 15 degrees now in Melbourne, but still nice wehn your out.
I'm off gold prospecting again sunday with another pommie friend I made at work. I love the outdoors and the opportunity to be in the middle of knowhere within a couple of hours.

Overall I'm enjoying it here. My wife still has yet to find a job, but has made some friends by joinging some clubs, so is stil pretty positive. Weve had a mortgage advisor come round a couple of nights ago as were now looking to buy.

Good luck all, be brave and things will be fine. Before you know it like me you won't even notice their "strange" accents and will feel like you've been here years.

regards,
65KK
Old May 27th 2005, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice
Default Re: Things seem better now after six months of being here...

Glad to hear that things are going well, wondered what happened to you

Only 15 degrees in Melbourne? it has been 28 degrees here in Blightly today!

Heres hoping the next 6mths are even better.

Mandy
Old May 27th 2005, 8:05 pm
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear things are going so well.
Hope everything keeps on track for you, keep looking at that blue sky.

Louise
Old May 28th 2005, 4:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scrawni
Glad to hear that things are going well, wondered what happened to you

Only 15 degrees in Melbourne? it has been 28 degrees here in Blightly today!

Heres hoping the next 6mths are even better.

Mandy

Yep, we are slipping into Winter!

If 65 Million is going gold prospecting he has well and truly settled. That's what got Australia really going back in the 1850s and a lot of 65 million's ancestors etc helped along.
Old May 28th 2005, 5:45 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by Ialibu
Yep, we are slipping into Winter!

If 65 Million is going gold prospecting he has well and truly settled. That's what got Australia really going back in the 1850s and a lot of 65 million's ancestors etc helped along.
l went gold prospecting with a metal detector in central Victoria, don't expect to find anything except hundreds of old bottle tops, spent bullets and other garbage, but its a good way to get outdoors and see the contryside.
Some people get lucky like that guy that found a nugget the size of a football
worth millions 20 years ago.

Last edited by wombat42; May 28th 2005 at 5:50 am.

Old May 28th 2005, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear things have been going okay.Hope your wife gets a job soon.
You sound as though you have been really busy.May it all continue to work out.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice
Smile Re: Things seem better now after six months of being here...

Thanks all for your best wishes, and all the best to yourselves.

Still not found any gold yet, recently bought a much better detector and bigger coil (penetrates deeper into the ground). Will let you know how I go.

cheers all,

65 Million