Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Things NOT to take to Oz (inc. a car question!)

Things NOT to take to Oz (inc. a car question!)

Old Nov 30th 2009, 10:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nice
Default Re: Things NOT to take to Oz (inc. a car question!)

Originally Posted by ukmouse
Okay... we give up! Why on earth would they cut the cones off?????

...not that we have cones on our Christmas tree, but after 15 minutes of coming up with ludicrous reasons as to why they would, we are still stumped (excuse the pun!!) LOL

Thanks for all your replies everyone... much appreciated.
Who knows why they cut off plastic pine cones - the answer simply was - "Pine Cones removed" - maybe it's just a Perth thing - maybe some has a pine cone fettish???
Old Dec 1st 2009, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

mcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to all

Bring as much as you can, things are quite expensive over here and you could save yourselves a lot of money. Enjoy yr move.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

RobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by filcomm
Who knows why they cut off plastic pine cones - the answer simply was - "Pine Cones removed" - maybe it's just a Perth thing - maybe some has a pine cone fettish???
Christmas decorations and trees get careful inspection and anything that looks like a pine cone will get attention.
Pine cones are very high risk items and the plastic ones can look very real so I guess that they find it easier to remove them all than to check each one to see whether its real or plastic.

I was told by a BMW dealer (also a migrant) that imported cars need to have the speedo replaced with a km's only unit and dual mile/km is not pemitted (there's nowhere that you can drive to that uses miles anyway) I left my BMW 330D behind in the UK and I still miss it some days
Second hand cars are really expensive here and depreciation is very low.

Things to bring has been covered well, I'd also suggest loading up with chocolate and biscuits (they're stupidly expensive here and the Cadbuy's made in New Zealand is nowhere near as nice as the UK made stuff).

Things NOT to bring...laser pointers and air guns, I had a CO2 air pistol that got confiscated (customs left me the CO2 cartriges and the paper targets, thanks guys) but no fine or other problems, gun laws here are very strict, actually its easier to get a license for a real rifle than for an air pistol.
I did have some laser pointers too but they missed those, still I can't use them for anything so may as well have left them.