Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Things NOT to take to Oz (inc. a car question!)

Things NOT to take to Oz (inc. a car question!)

Old Nov 22nd 2009, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

ukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud of
Default Things NOT to take to Oz (inc. a car question!)

I wonder if folks could help please.

We're going to start sorting through the house, what to take, what not to take (we need a clear out anyway )

We were wondering if there were things that we DEFINITELY shouldn't take... like white goods etc.

I've read on some posts that its cheaper to ship stuff out than re-buy the other end. We wouldnt need more than a 20ft (at most) if we took most of our stuff.

We have considered taking the car but we're not sure about duty etc the other end or how that works. I know cars are expensive over there.

Its the little things like gadgets, 'boys toys', kitchen equipment, electricals etc. Is there a compatability problem from UK to Oz? ... ooh and my OH was wondering about DVDs etc and compatability.

Thanks for your help

Last edited by ukmouse; Nov 22nd 2009 at 1:04 pm. Reason: added OHs dvd question.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

micmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to all
Default Re: Things NOT to take to Oz (inc. a car question!)

Don’t really know about the car and white goods because we didn’t bring any but other smaller electrical appliances were fine. People have different opinions as to whether you should have Aussie plugs fitted or just use an adapter plug and extension leads - lot of itis to do with insurance - see http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ectrical+items

There are several threads on this. DVDs etc are fine on a lot of players here. Our DVD was relatively cheap and plays both region 2 and 4 dvds. The lads bought their consoles with them – they play fine.

In hindsight I am of the opinion bring what you can – you can always get rid here if you really don’t want it. You will end up with things of which you’ll end up thinking ‘why on earth did I bring that’ but if you get rid of it before you come and decide it is an item you need you will only have to replace it this end. Buying lots of even the smallest of items soon adds up.

Mx

Last edited by micmay3_in_oz; Nov 22nd 2009 at 1:25 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

ukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud of

Thanks for the advice.. OH was of the view of start all over but having just cooked a shepherds pie and having used every pan, lid, bowl and utensil in the kitchen I asked him how much it would cost to buy all those things new...

.....he's now of the mind set 'ship it'!!!
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 7:11 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukmouse
Thanks for the advice.. OH was of the view of start all over but having just cooked a shepherds pie and having used every pan, lid, bowl and utensil in the kitchen I asked him how much it would cost to buy all those things new...

.....he's now of the mind set 'ship it'!!!
Definately bring what you can.....unless of course you know you won't use it...

We brought washer / Fridge Freezer / Dryer / tv's / dvd's / irons / beds / sofa's / pots & Pans etc etc , so glad we did.

When we arrived we had to wait for our container ( approx 2 months ) so we bought a new F/Freezer / Sofa / small tv and other bits just to see us through. All the things we bought are still well used today, you see most properties are a lot bigger than in the uk so theres a lot of room to fill.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

ronnie98 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ukmouse
I wonder if folks could help please.

We're going to start sorting through the house, what to take, what not to take (we need a clear out anyway )

We were wondering if there were things that we DEFINITELY shouldn't take... like white goods etc.

I've read on some posts that its cheaper to ship stuff out than re-buy the other end. We wouldnt need more than a 20ft (at most) if we took most of our stuff.

We have considered taking the car but we're not sure about duty etc the other end or how that works. I know cars are expensive over there.

Its the little things like gadgets, 'boys toys', kitchen equipment, electricals etc. Is there a compatability problem from UK to Oz? ... ooh and my OH was wondering about DVDs etc and compatability.

Thanks for your help
Bring everything, we have been here a week and we are glad we packed the lot inc the car! it hasnt arrived yet but it will be a nice christmas present.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't bring garden stuff - rakes, spades, mowers, trimmers etc. They have to be spotless to pass inspection and UK stuff may not be adequate for the size of an aussie back yard. [I've never seen anyone use an electric lawnmower, it's all petrol or else you pay someone to come and do it]
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 7:21 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd bring it all, including the garden stuff. I've seen people mowing quite large blocks with electric mowers, as well as the petrol and the ride ons. A bit of a pressure wash, a squirt of WD40 will be all that's needed. No point in dumping stuff that two minutes after arriving you find you need to go out and buy.

All electrical stuff will work and even if you don't use it much, you may once you're here and that includes electric blankets.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Bring everything (apart from maybe the kettle as you wont be able to wait that long for a cuppa )

Bring lots of 4-ways to save you having to change all the plugs.

No problems with electrics other than the wrong plug & DVDs will be fine with multi region players
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spottydog
Bring everything (apart from maybe the kettle as you wont be able to wait that long for a cuppa )

Bring lots of 4-ways to save you having to change all the plugs.

No problems with electrics other than the wrong plug & DVDs will be fine with multi region players
Ditto this!

& I agree with MP, bring the garden stuff, just clean well & a lick of paint if there is any rust!
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Coat Hangers. We read lots of threads where people said you couldn't get them anywhere, and where you could they were expensive.

Errrrrr they are frickin everywhere and dirt cheap!
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 10:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyR
Coat Hangers. We read lots of threads where people said you couldn't get them anywhere, and where you could they were expensive.

Errrrrr they are frickin everywhere and dirt cheap!
Name & shame those nasty misleading blighters Andy!
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

maund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to all

No point bringing the dish washer either. Ours is still in the bubble wrap stored in the garage. Just about to move into our second rental, and both had dishwashers included. Pretty standard from what we can gather.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 11:54 am
Just Joined

NeilP is on a distinguished road

Don't bring electric kettles or electric heaters rated at more than 2.4kw. Aussie plugs are only 10 amps whereas UK ones are 13 amps.
Some UK TVs won't receive Aussie analogue channels, but will work with a set top box (there is loads on this forum about this). The only other thing that probably won't work (and won't comply with local regulations) is your British phone.

If you've got the space I'd bring just about everything else with you.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

I'm unlikely to bring anything that won't fit into boxes that can be sent via a courier tbh. I don't have lots of furniture, but I have a washing machine, 32" lcd tv, bed, sofa, and a bike that I would like to bring, but that would require a container. It would be cheaper to replace those items once I get there, than spend £2k on a container just to ship my stuff. I think I had a quote of about £250 to send everything else in boxes via sea mail.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Lots of great advice there... thanks everyone for taking the time to answer my question.

One things for sure... all my clothes are going in the bin. Its not a girl thing.. Its a 'If I dont fit in it now and I've kept it for four years for when it does fit..... I'm not taking it' thing......

Thanks again folks..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.