Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Things that are more expensive in supermarkets here.

Wikiposts

Things that are more expensive in supermarkets here.

Old Nov 28th 2005, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things that are more expensive in supermarkets here.

ok..just got the paper and the offers are in there,how do these prices compare to melbourne

1 doz large eggs 89c
bananas 99c kg
2l milk $169
30x 375ml can cococola 12.98
2x 55g bars of dairy milk chocolate $2
2 x hot barbecue chickens $10
double smoked leg hams 699 kg
tender whole yearling rumps 4699kg
surf washi8ng powder 2kg $499
coz lettuce 2 for 99c
just jiuce 2l $199
cheddar cheese $599kg
Old Nov 28th 2005, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

this is so true but doesnt mean i have alot,like i said i do like a drink but i dont drink much at a time
Originally Posted by fraser
You were often drinking when I used to chat to you, you're always out for lunch and drinks with the girls, need I go on
Old Nov 28th 2005, 6:29 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scissors
ok..just got the paper and the offers are in there,how do these prices compare to melbourne

1 doz large eggs 89c
bananas 99c kg
2l milk $169
coz lettuce 2 for 99c
just jiuce 2l $199
cheddar cheese $599kg

Yep cheaper.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 6:29 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

this is so true but doesnt mean i have alot,like i said i do like a drink but i dont drink much at a time
I'll take your word for it
Old Nov 28th 2005, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

think you ll have to mate until you come see me that is
I'll take your word for it
Old Nov 28th 2005, 6:34 pm

think you ll have to mate until you come see me that is
I'll book a months detox after
Old Nov 28th 2005, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

you do that
I'll book a months detox after
Old Nov 28th 2005, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

1 doz large eggs 89c
bananas 99c kg
2l milk $169
coz lettuce 2 for 99c
just jiuce 2l $199
cheddar cheese $599kg
god its cheaper over there.
eggs about $4
banansas 3
milk 3
hot chicken 9 each
Old Nov 28th 2005, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

DJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant future

I think you will find that most of us recently arrived Poms are still in the habit of buying what we always used to buy in the UK. I suggest that there are plenty of things that are cheaper, and if we shopped more like Australians, we would find things cheaper overall. I did an on-line shop on the Coles web site before coming over. Looking at the list now, I realise it was as though I was buying in the UK. Now I wander around the supermarkets looking for different things to try, and have had some wonerful surprises as well as quite a few real disappointments. Meat, fruit and veg are generally great value, even better if you can go to one of the markets in the bigger cities. Fish is definately better, both choice and price. Wine can be anyhting you want. Recently I have been restricting myself to no more than $6 a bottle, to try out what is available at that price, usually on special. Surprisingly, the cheaper wines are ok, and until I get a job, they will ahve to do.

As creatures of habit, it takes months, maybe years to change our food shopping habits. Also, I hope no-one is under the illusion they will find a cheap paradise here. Paradise maybe, if you have the right attitude, but not particularly cheap.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

We used to spend about £150-170 in the uk.

We only spend $150 a week here not because it's cheaper, but because we have less money, no goodies in our house just staples.

Are "staples" nice to eat ??? Are they not a bit crunchy???

What I found really strange when first arriving is that prices vary from day to day and supermarkets have no concept of keeping prices the same.

I was told by a local when I first arrived if you see a bargain buy it, it won't be there tomorrow and it took me a while to get into this but its true.

In general the Coles supermarket near me is awful for fruit and veg and I won't shop there its so much better at the fruit market.

Baked Beans on toast is not the cheap meal it is in the UK but now got used to Woolworths Own Brand at 35c which is better than $1.50 for Heinz.

It is worth shopping around and buying in when you see a bargain. I bought one of those make you own yoghurt maker things where you buy the tub and the packets of yoghurts and it is so much cheaper, $2.34 for a 1kg of yoghurt and it tastes really nice.

Oh to be back in Marks & Spencers food hall
Old Nov 29th 2005, 10:46 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Things that are more expensive in supermarkets here.

Originally Posted by macy
Oh to be back in Marks & Spencers food hall
Try visiting your local Myer food hall.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Try visiting your local Myer food hall.
I can't even afford coles :scared:
Old Nov 29th 2005, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of light

Fraser have you not found a job yet :scared: sorry but been reading your threads ,god luck with the job hunt
Old Nov 29th 2005, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by charlie brown
Fraser have you not found a job yet :scared: sorry but been reading your threads ,god luck with the job hunt
Yeah I did have a job digging, lasted three days.

Still waiting for the Plumbing commision to fix me with an exam date.

Thanks
Old Nov 29th 2005, 11:00 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Things that are more expensive in supermarkets here.

It's OK, Myer will wait until you have a job.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.