Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Things that are more expensive in supermarkets here.

Wikiposts

Things that are more expensive in supermarkets here.

Old Nov 28th 2005, 10:47 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things that are more expensive in supermarkets here.

Originally Posted by scissors
maybe you havent found the right places to buy yet,i had to shop around a bit to find the best and cheapest places,this does take a bit of time i do find i read the junk mail that comes everyday these days instead of throwingit straight into the bin always on the look out for offers,to be honest my shopping bill is around $120 for 3 of us and we eat very weell much better than in the uk,much more fresh foods and healthier to,im spending the same as i did in the uk
We do eat cheaply, have to.

But not from the supermarkets.

How much do you spend on drink
Old Nov 28th 2005, 11:03 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by scissors
my shopping bill is around $120 for 3 of us and we eat very weell much better than in the uk,much more fresh foods and healthier to,im spending the same as i did in the uk
That's about $5 a week less than we spend for the 3 of us.

Old Nov 28th 2005, 11:07 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by fraser

But not from the supermarkets.

How much do you spend on drink
My advise is AVOID the "expensive" supermarkets.

Beer ?
XXXX Gold 48 x 375ml cans $50.00 ( $1.04 per can)
VB 24 x375ml Stubbies $31.99 ( $1.33 per bottle)
Grolsch 24 x 250ml bottles $ 29.99 ( $1.25 per bottle)

Old Nov 28th 2005, 11:10 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
My advise is AVOID the "expensive" supermarkets.

Beer ?
XXXX Gold 48 x 375ml cans $50.00 ( $1.04 per can)
VB 24 x375ml Stubbies $31.99 ( $1.33 per bottle)
Grolsch 24 x 250ml bottles $ 29.99 ( $1.25 per bottle)
I do, I was just making a comparison.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 11:10 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by fraser
We eat cheaply too...

This weeks choices:

Rump Steak $4.99 kg
T Bone Steak $5.99 kg

It's cheaper than chicken or mince

I keep hearing how expensive things are down in Melbourne !!

Old Nov 28th 2005, 11:12 am

We eat cheaply too...

This weeks choices:

Rump Steak $4.99 kg
T Bone Steak $5.99 kg

Add $1-2 to those
Old Nov 28th 2005, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

We eat cheaply too...

This weeks choices:

Rump Steak $4.99 kg
T Bone Steak $5.99 kg

OMG that is so cheap , i find the meat here very expensive.
My weekly shopping bill is about 250 dollars, that for 6 of us and 4 eat like adults. Not much different to UK really
Old Nov 28th 2005, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by cranni
My weekly shopping bill is about 250 dollars, that for 6 of us and 4 eat like adults. Not much different to UK really
We used to spend about £150-170 in the uk.

We only spend $150 a week here not because it's cheaper, but because we have less money, no goodies in our house just staples.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 11:23 am
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light

Do you have Aldi stores there fraser? I wnet in one for the first time here in Sydney at the weekend and couldnt believe how cheap they are! Previously, i was always wary of discount stores as i considered that the quality of stuff would be poorer. How wrong i was!!
Just a couple of quick examples. 1kg good quality mince $5.50 That covers 3 meals for me and hubby! onions 69c a kilo.
Wont bore you with other prices but i shall certainly be going there for a lot of my basic foodstuff in future.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Linda Lushardi
Do you have Aldi stores there fraser? I wnet in one for the first time here in Sydney at the weekend and couldnt believe how cheap they are! Previously, i was always wary of discount stores as i considered that the quality of stuff would be poorer. How wrong i was!!
Just a couple of quick examples. 1kg good quality mince $5.50 That covers 3 meals for me and hubby! onions 69c a kilo.
Wont bore you with other prices but i shall certainly be going there for a lot of my basic foodstuff in future.
Yeah we do, and they are cheap but you can only get certain things in there.

Markets are still better for meat and veg.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 11:31 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by cranni
$250 for 6 of you, is about the same as the $125 pw for the three of us.

But we do tend to eat the more expensive Fillet Steak more than the rump etc. Once you know where the best places to shop are, it does get better

In the UK most people seem to shop in Supermarkets, but here, it's best to use the other shops. Supermarkets are more for convenience, NOT for price.

That is one of the differences, so adapt to the Australian way, and you may save money

A very Important PS: The rump steak in Coles is $9.97 kg On Special, down from $17.97 kg !!!
But the locals put me on to these better places to shop, hence I can now pay between $4.99 and $6.99 kg for it and $10 kg for the better quality Fillet steak.

Old Nov 28th 2005, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

we buy all our meat from South Melbourne Market- hubby says it is far better quality than Coles (i'm a veggie, so have no idea) and is cheaper.

Bread we buy from the bakers and it is far cheaper than Helgas etc.

Fruit and veg is bought from SMM or a local greengrocers...much cheaper and fresher it seems.

Don't know about toilet rolls- I'm not in charge of them!
Old Nov 28th 2005, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Cheshshire cheese is ludicrously expensive here, as are pork pies.

BY way of balance, pizza's from the likes of Dominos, Pizza Hut are ludicrously cheap compared to the UK.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Pomster
we buy all our meat from South Melbourne Market- hubby says it is far better quality than Coles (i'm a veggie, so have no idea) and is cheaper.

Bread we buy from the bakers and it is far cheaper than Helgas etc.

Fruit and veg is bought from SMM or a local greengrocers...much cheaper and fresher it seems.

Don't know about toilet rolls- I'm not in charge of them!
Vic market is much cheaper than south Melbourne, we used to go to springvale market, even cheaper.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trevglas
Cheshshire cheese is ludicrously expensive here, as are pork pies.

BY way of balance, pizza's from the likes of Dominos, Pizza Hut are ludicrously cheap compared to the UK.
the cheese is expensive, and pork pies , i agree.
We make our own pizzas, and garlic bread, kids love it.
my kids make cakes, and biscuits, we seem to do more baking here, thats because the kitchen is in the heart of the house, so you can still join in with everything while cooking.
Our kitchen in UK was small and sperate, i hated going in there.
I buy big cartons of bleach , couple of dollars, and just keep refilling toilet cleaner, as its expensive here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.