Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Things learnt from BBC2 emigrate show

Things learnt from BBC2 emigrate show

Old Apr 23rd 2003, 9:45 am
Just Joined

Davidreed is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Things learnt from BBC2 emigrate show

If you watched last night's show on BBC2 re the Brisbane move, don't despair. It is much better than portrayed!

I was born in Bne and lived there for 27years before coming to UK. Next Feb, my wife and I are planning to move to Bne.

I think enough people who have watched the show realise that it is a quick 60min show for entertainment. Unfortunately, the researchers seem to have spent 60mins on preparation for the arrivees.

What we have learnt though is a some valid points;
1. Do as much research as possible and try to set-up whatever possible before going. Use internet and get house/job papers mailed over.
2. Plan and spend the first 4-8 weeks as a holiday, then job/house hunt.
3. Jobs are important - don't leave without sorting a least a couple of strong leads.

If any one else has any other tips, or websites re Brisbane, we'd be happy to know....
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

pabloako is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Things learnt from BBC2 emigrate show

I think have a sense of humour is the most important thing.

Originally posted by Davidreed
If you watched last night's show on BBC2 re the Brisbane move, don't despair. It is much better than portrayed!

I was born in Bne and lived there for 27years before coming to UK. Next Feb, my wife and I are planning to move to Bne.

I think enough people who have watched the show realise that it is a quick 60min show for entertainment. Unfortunately, the researchers seem to have spent 60mins on preparation for the arrivees.

1. Do as much research as possible and try to set-up whatever possible before going. Use internet and get house/job papers mailed over.
3. Jobs are important - don't leave without sorting a least a couple of strong leads.

If any one else has any other tips, or websites re Brisbane, we'd be happy to know....
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 11:54 am
WBB

i agree this show was for entertainment but brought up some good points i hope to be in brisbane next year untill then..good luck to all

Old Apr 23rd 2003, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

philj6969 is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought the relocators remark about "its all bungalows" (in reference to Redcliffe) most unusual. Where did he stay when he spent his year in Oz?

Phil
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 2:07 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

There has never been such a show in Aus.

The main information to draw from "Get-A-New-Life" is that Britain is still trying to get rid of the loosest of it's citizens.
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

Ruthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of light

I have to agree the expert relocators were complete muppets. This show is more about viewer entertainment then a real genuine concern for those involved. Who would move a family with young kids at christmas time, during the hottest month in Australia, with no school, limited work opportunities due to the holiday period (and lack of paperwork), crowded beaches and no thought to providing or even sourcing some child care or kids clubs. I found it quite cruel. As to the 'villa' with pool I thought it lacking in charm or ...anything. As an aussie I know my country has a lot more to offer than that, and I think they would have had a better time in a caravan park!

Last edited by Ruthyman; Apr 23rd 2003 at 2:20 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Ruthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by welshboybilly
i agree this show was for entertainment but brought up some good points i hope to be in brisbane next year untill then..good luck to all
http://www.ourbrisbane.com/
bit like up my street website. Lots about history, transport, community etc Specially liked the suburbs map.
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Things learnt.

Getting a visa is no big deal, they managed to add that it took two years but not why it takes so long or the grief that goes with it.

You can move across continents in two weeks with no hassle and no worry about selling your house or car.

Houses are cheap as chips.

Getting work is a doddle.

Also that relocaters are a bunch of t****ers. and they will buy you a toaster. !!

Best of all your wife will moan a lot. !!!

As my mate said to me today, moving to Oz is a doddle. !!

DOH

Some good Brisbane links here.

http://www.movingdownunder.co.uk/fil...sbanelinks.php

Last edited by karawara88; Apr 23rd 2003 at 4:51 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

Smile

I agree with comments......

Redcliffe is great for a beach but hopeless for work. I wouldn't say it is full of oldies though? Like a UK city, the closer you are to the city the higher the property prices - as the worker bees need to be close! The guy said " I don't mind where we live as long as it is close to a beach". At least it is closer than Cornwall mate!!

Ourbrisbane is a great site and you can check out all the suburbs in and around Brisbane. Another useful tip is that the travelling time by road around Brisbane is much faster than UK equivalent cities.

Wouldn't it be a good idea if the BBC2 put up a list of useful contacts after the credits ....like websites etc?

Old Apr 29th 2003, 8:21 am
Just Joined

The latest news from the BBC this morning is that they are pulling the plug on this program when it finishes!
Old Apr 29th 2003, 10:15 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

The latest news from the BBC this morning is that they are pulling the plug on this program when it finishes!
Hip, Hip, Hoorah! And another one bites the dust!
Old Apr 29th 2003, 11:01 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it's time for a new aussie reality TV show...

Let's call it "Get Your Old Life Back"...get Cilla Black to do it...Perth Studios...

(1) Contestants must slag off any Selected Aussie topic...they pick...people...places...history...points awarded for creative generalisations and insults...

(2) Contestants must skull 4 pints of DHW or Old Geodon Best Bitter...their choice...dependant upon existing conditions...points awarded on clarity of reciting "Rule Brittania"...

(3) Contestants must then piss in their own pocket...points awarded for innovation...

Best thing is everyone's a winner and they all get a departure stamp in their British Passport...method of departure selected by aussie audience...

What'ya think...???

Last edited by Florida_03; Apr 29th 2003 at 11:13 am.
Old Apr 29th 2003, 11:36 am
Banned

Originally posted by Florida_03
I think it's time for a new aussie reality TV show...

Let's call it "Get Your Old Life Back"...get Cilla Black to do it...Perth Studios...

(1) Contestants must slag off any Selected Aussie topic...they pick...people...places...history...points awarded for creative generalisations and insults...

(2) Contestants must skull 4 pints of DHW or Old Geodon Best Bitter...their choice...dependant upon existing conditions...points awarded on clarity of reciting "Rule Brittania"...

(3) Contestants must then piss in their own pocket...points awarded for innovation...

Best thing is everyone's a winner and they all get a departure stamp in their British Passport...method of departure selected by aussie audience...

What'ya think...???
Sorry, too much like real life in Aus. Need to work on a twist that the BBC would buy into. Maybe have a look at Robert Mugabe's scripts? Something involving stocks and cabbage throwing?
Old Apr 29th 2003, 11:46 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Megalania
Sorry, too much like real life in Aus. Need to work on a twist that the BBC would buy into. Maybe have a look at Robert Mugabe's scripts? Something involving stocks and cabbage throwing?
Ah...I see where you're going...I see Canaan Banana, distilled Turkey oil and Sir Richard Branson...where do the cabbages fit...???
Old Apr 29th 2003, 12:07 pm
Banned

Originally posted by Florida_03
Ah...I see where you're going...I see Canaan Banana, distilled Turkey oil and Sir Richard Branson...where do the cabbages fit...???
Well, we have to make this appeal to the average BBC viewer so it should not be too cerebral more cerebellum - you know more action.

Put British emigration nay sayers in stocks, hold a mock trial and pelt 'em with rotten veggies.

That'll get the British audience in but the switcheroo is doing the occassional "DownUnder" segment where an Aussie audience gets a go chucking the veggies at the Pommie Bastard immigration nay sayers. Of course there would be a doctor on hand in case death was uncertain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.