Wikiposts

Things to do on stop over in Singapore

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Peter.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 4:27 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things to do on stop over in Singapore

Just in case anyone's interested in the websites to places mentioned here:

> 1)Singapore Zoo. (Best zoo ive ever been to.)

http://www.zoo.com.sg/

> 2)Sentosa island.

http://www.sentosa.com.sg/day.htm

> 3) From Changi ferry terminal take a ferry ride to Bintan.

Bintan Hotels/Resorts frequented by Singapore residents:
http://www.banyantree.com/bintan/
http://www.nirwanagardens.com/
http://www.angsana.com/bintan/index.htm

More here: http://www.holidaycity.com/bintanresorts/index.html

> 4) Boat Quay great place to eat out in the evening.

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=boat+quay

HTH

Peter
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

chink is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Things to do on stop over in Singapore

Originally posted by St George Six
Hi,
Any suggestions of things to do whilst in Singapore, on three day stop over. Clean suggestions only as we have four young children.

Cheers Kev.
Coupla suggestions:

1. Take a bum boat ride to Pulau Ubin, island north-east of Singapore, to experience old village life of yesterday's Singapore. Ask taxi to take you to Changi Point Jetty.
http://www.nparks.gov.sg/parks/n_a/p...-pul_ubi.shtml

2. Visit Asian Civilisations Museum at Armenian St and Express Place Building (2 locations)
http://www.nhb.gov.sg/ACM/acm.shtml

3. Singapore Botanic Gardens
http://www.nparks.gov.sg/parks/sbg/par-sbg.shtml

4. Take a dinner cruise on a Chinese Junk ship from Clifford Pier.
http://asiatours.com.sg/tour2.htm

5. Singapore Zoo & Night Safari

6. Boat Quay & Clark Quay (grubs & pubs)

7. Take cable car to Sentosa Island and spend the day there. Don't miss Images of Singapore (museum) and the new Musical Fountain.
http://www.sentosa.com.sg/

8. Take an overnight trip up to Malacca in Malaysia, about 3hours by road. Lots of historical sights from the Portuguese and Dutch era.

Enjoy!
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

I used to live in singapore with kids. I can tell you the following:

1. Taxi everywhere. you could not possibly run up a bill of $20 in any straight journey. the island simply isn't big enough.

2. Newton in the evening for a meal and some beer. The beer is as cheap as you'll get (still not very) and its basic and nipper friendly.

3. Dan O'Briens up by Tanglin Mall if your kids don't have a taste for oriental grub and you want a steak n chips type feed.

4. Holland village - nice restaurants and quite relaxed.

5. There's a really great little known water park thats at Jurong East. Its good to go and just have a dip and a sunbathe. Very much one for the nippers. Costs some unearthly amount like $3 each to get in.

6. On the tourist route - the Botanic Gardens and the Zoo. I like the zoo best during the day. didn't much go for night safari.

7. Chimes square near Raffles has some nice eateries and is built open air and downstairs away from roads - again great with nippers in the evenings.

The Straits Times should sort you out for any 'on the day' events.

I'll be there tomorrow!!
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 9:16 pm
Life's a beach

St George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really nice

Originally posted by RichS
I used to live in singapore with kids. I can tell you the following:

1. Taxi everywhere. you could not possibly run up a bill of $20 in any straight journey. the island simply isn't big enough.

2. Newton in the evening for a meal and some beer. The beer is as cheap as you'll get (still not very) and its basic and nipper friendly.

3. Dan O'Briens up by Tanglin Mall if your kids don't have a taste for oriental grub and you want a steak n chips type feed.

4. Holland village - nice restaurants and quite relaxed.

5. There's a really great little known water park thats at Jurong East. Its good to go and just have a dip and a sunbathe. Very much one for the nippers. Costs some unearthly amount like $3 each to get in.

6. On the tourist route - the Botanic Gardens and the Zoo. I like the zoo best during the day. didn't much go for night safari.

7. Chimes square near Raffles has some nice eateries and is built open air and downstairs away from roads - again great with nippers in the evenings.

The Straits Times should sort you out for any 'on the day' events.

I'll be there tomorrow!!

I think I need more than three days at this rate, Jason taxi driver sounds great and will e-mail for a fax number to pre book.

All the best Kev.

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 9:34 pm
tennisoz

Cheers for the suggestions, I'm glad we have three days.
We fly in on 22/10/03 and are staying at the Golden Landmark Hotel, booked with Ebookers.
Final destination Christchurch on 26/10/03.

Thanks Kev.
We stayed at the Golden Landmark Hotel a few months ago in a so-called deluxe room which I would barely describe as standard. We had a party (literally) of Vietnamese on the same floor and had to complain to management about the noise. Apart from that it is well located and we had a spectacular view from the 12th floor of the Arab and Indian quarters. The breakfast was good. I had Singapore Noodles and spring rolls with my bacon and scrambled egg! Close to the hotel is a good range of shops at Bugis and an MRT station for getting around. If you don't have transport already booked at the airport just get the MRT to Bugis for about £1 or £2 each. A must for anyone is a visit and walk around the Raffles Hotel - only 10 minutes walk from GL Hotel. Enjoy!

TennisOz

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 9:38 pm
Life's a beach

St George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really nice

Cheers for advice,
still not to late to change Hotel, give us your honest opinion, would you stay there again.

Kev.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 9:42 pm
tennisoz

Cheers for advice,
still not to late to change Hotel, give us your honest opinion, would you stay there again.

Kev.
No but you can be unlucky and get a party on the same floor as you wherever you are. If it weren't for that I would say yes. We weren't paying Raffles prices after all for the room.

TennisOz

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the great advice everyone. If we don't prebook a taxi driver (wouldn't want to keep one waiting as we meander slowly around everywhere - not that organised!) is it easy to find taxis to get back from the zoo or whatever?
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 11:20 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jolyn
is it easy to find taxis to get back from the zoo or whatever?
Availability of taxis is quite dependent on the weather.

If it rains, it's expected that getting a cab won't be easy. Other than that, they're usually easy to get around major tourist spots, the zoo inclusive. Singapore's a small island, almost no one gets lost or stranded

Peter
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 11:23 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

Originally posted by tennisoz
We stayed at the Golden Landmark Hotel a few months ago in a so-called deluxe room which I would barely describe as standard. We had a party (literally) of Vietnamese on the same floor and had to complain to management about the noise.
Golden Landmark isn't the classiest of hotels It ain't the newest either.

Peter
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 11:26 pm
Life's a beach

Hi Peter,
Any suggestions.

cheers Kev.
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 12:30 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

We did Sentosa .. cheap tacky touristpark, but the kids will love it. Also the night zoo, very good. We also visited Little India & went into some hindu temples & stuff down there (I hope the religion is right, Dagboy?), very interesting! Also went to the fish markets (raw seafood of every description, was fascinating) & a huge food market that I cant remember the name of . Of course then theres always the obligatory shopping. And a boat ride on one of their funny boats at night to admire the lights of the city.

Banyan Tree Bintan looks absolutely fabulous, it was on our shortlist for our honeymoon. Maybe we can go there on our second honeymoon
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 12:34 am
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
We did Sentosa .. cheap tacky touristpark, but the kids will love it. Also the night zoo, very good. We also visited Little India & went into some hindu temples & stuff down there (I hope the religion is right, Dagboy?), very interesting! Also went to the fish markets (raw seafood of every description, was fascinating) & a huge food market that I cant remember the name of . Of course then theres always the obligatory shopping. And a boat ride on one of their funny boats at night to admire the lights of the city.

Banyan Tree Bintan looks absolutely fabulous, it was on our shortlist for our honeymoon. Maybe we can go there on our second honeymoon
Oh dear, thought Shangri La was supposed to be island paradise

Don't have kids! Do you mean the whole of Sentosa island Mrs Dagboy or just the park?
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 12:46 am
tennisoz

Hi Peter,
Any suggestions.

cheers Kev.
Kev

Further to Peter's comments, the Golden Landmark is a bit 1960's - our room looked like it hadn't had much done to it since then hence my comment. The public areas were fine and the location was great, as I said just the noise problem and room outdated. The hotel that was recommended to us by a few people was the Otani or New Otani. We picked the GL as it was cheaper and we thought if it is only a bed for the night what does it matter (we got in at 6.00 pm and had to leave after breakfast the next day). I pass that on for what it's worth - no personal experience of the Otani. Incidentally the shops stay open late at night but nothing much opens before 10.00 am. We had a great time exploring the shops at Bugis near the GL and would you believe we got fries from KFC when we felt peckish ... didn't trust the street food but others will no doubt say it is safe.

Good luck

TennisOz

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.