Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

things to do on arrival

things to do on arrival

Old Feb 8th 2005, 9:28 pm

aidbish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default things to do on arrival

Hi all

just getting some bits and pieces together on what we need to do on our arrival in Oz next month

i have got some thing like sort schooling out, tax numbers etc etc
but i would like some input from forum members who have already made the move in case i missed some

cheers
aidbish
Old Feb 8th 2005, 10:08 pm

aidbish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: things to do on arrival

also forgot to ask

what stuff not pack when shippers arrive i.e.documents
Old Feb 8th 2005, 11:42 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

One thing that keeps getting forgotten when people ask this (and I kept forgetting it myself!) is the vitally important ambulance insurance (well, in the Melbourne area at least... does it apply throughout Victoria? Throughout Australia?)
Old Feb 8th 2005, 11:45 pm
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MarkMyWords
One thing that keeps getting forgotten when people ask this (and I kept forgetting it myself!) is the vitally important ambulance insurance (well, in the Melbourne area at least... does it apply throughout Victoria? Throughout Australia?)
I believe you pay for ambulance cover in your electricity bill in Queensland...not sure what the connection is...
Old Feb 8th 2005, 11:47 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Throughout Australia?)
Qld no, they've put it onto the electricity bill, $22.

* edit forgot to say the $22 is each bill , it amounts to $88 over the year

Last edited by Ceri; Feb 8th 2005 at 11:54 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

jskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura about

Never heard of that, but would obviously be something one needs to take care of. Is it really a fee like that to be paid? Where can one find information about this stuff?!

/Jørgen
Old Feb 9th 2005, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aidbish
Hi all

just getting some bits and pieces together on what we need to do on our arrival in Oz next month

i have got some thing like sort schooling out, tax numbers etc etc
but i would like some input from forum members who have already made the move in case i missed some

cheers
aidbish
Take your children's immunisation records, you'll need them for school and centrelink. Otherwise getting the kids into your local school is pretty easy although you may have to wait for a place in an independent school.
Visit medicare with passports when you have been here a week. You can sort out centrelink when you have your tax file number.
There is much more to do before you leave than when you get here (check out Carrianne's to do lists) but stuff takes longer here as you're a bit tired and disorientated.
Maybe get a UBD (Map book) for your city, we got ours in Ottakars.
ATB
Larissa
Old Feb 9th 2005, 11:06 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jskogsta
Never heard of that, but would obviously be something one needs to take care of. Is it really a fee like that to be paid? Where can one find information about this stuff?!

/Jørgen
See e.g.
http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au/CA256E8400227764/HeadingPagesDisplay/Living+In+VictoriaVictoria's+ServicesHealth+Servic esPaying+for+health+care (near the bottom).

(Sorry, but the forum's posting mechanism is bizarrely forcing a space into that URL. You'll have to cut and paste it in two pieces.)

Last edited by MarkMyWords; Feb 9th 2005 at 11:12 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 3:28 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jskogsta

/Jørgen
If you use an ambulance you will be billed $$$$ for it in many states. You can take out ambulance cover to cover you. Recently Qld has put the ambulance levy onto our electricity bills. so you pay for it in your bill.

If you don't want a few $$$$ bill in other states ,if you ever need to use a ambulance ( not that you can predict that ), you take out ambulance cover. So much for the Reciprocal acts between here and Britain ( perhaps Britain should charge Australians in the UK for it too)

cheers