Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Things to buy in UK to fill container space

Things to buy in UK to fill container space

Old Jun 3rd 2008, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

Samleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud of
Default Things to buy in UK to fill container space

We will be heading to Perth (one day when we sell the house) Anyway we will need a 40ft container for our stuff but there will be some space, so is there anything that is worth buying in UK that is hard to get or much more expensive in WA? I know there are always big discussions on cost of living UK v Oz but any thoughts appreciated...also know need to consider duty costs etc too
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice
Default Re: Things to buy in UK to fill container space

Originally Posted by Samleeuk
We will be heading to Perth (one day when we sell the house) Anyway we will need a 40ft container for our stuff but there will be some space, so is there anything that is worth buying in UK that is hard to get or much more expensive in WA? I know there are always big discussions on cost of living UK v Oz but any thoughts appreciated...also know need to consider duty costs etc too

Why pay for a 40ft and have space? why not have a 20ft and have a good sort out and not take so much???? would be cheaper !
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

jollyswagman has a spectacular aura aboutjollyswagman has a spectacular aura aboutjollyswagman has a spectacular aura about

Hi, i found that clothes and shoes etc were more expensive in Oz when i went over earlier this year so i will be having a big shop especially for kids, i intend to buy them the next couple of sizes up to put us on so that we are not having to buy clothes etc until we are well on our feet!
I also thought that bedding and towels were quite pricey so if you are wanting to fill up i would probably buy here and take with you!
We are not taking a container, we are hoping to narrow it down to 10 boxes and sell stuff here and buy new there as for us we felt that the container money may aswell be used to buy new!!
Good luck and hope you sell your house soon!!
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Samleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jollyswagman
Hi, i found that clothes and shoes etc were more expensive in Oz when i went over earlier this year so i will be having a big shop especially for kids, i intend to buy them the next couple of sizes up to put us on so that we are not having to buy clothes etc until we are well on our feet!
I also thought that bedding and towels were quite pricey so if you are wanting to fill up i would probably buy here and take with you!
We are not taking a container, we are hoping to narrow it down to 10 boxes and sell stuff here and buy new there as for us we felt that the container money may aswell be used to buy new!!
Good luck and hope you sell your house soon!!
Cheers, big into clothes and shoes, noticed on our reccie tour last year, definately going to help my bank balance living in Oz Planning a final mass spend....once house is sold , weighed up trying to reduce to 20 ft but got lots of decent stuff (big bed, leather sofa etc that all would cost loads to replace) so kinda seemed more cost effective all things considered to take it all. Also going to be setting up my own Pilates studio when there and some equipment much cheaper here...need to work out duty implication on that too.

I also noticed towels and linen seemed pricey and I love Laura Ashley so may require a final shop there too!!!!

Just wondered if there are random things people noticed much more expensive as we will have space
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 7:57 pm
jan
classy clipper

jan will become famous soon enoughjan will become famous soon enough

Cheers, big into clothes and shoes, noticed on our reccie tour last year, definately going to help my bank balance living in Oz Planning a final mass spend....once house is sold , weighed up trying to reduce to 20 ft but got lots of decent stuff (big bed, leather sofa etc that all would cost loads to replace) so kinda seemed more cost effective all things considered to take it all. Also going to be setting up my own Pilates studio when there and some equipment much cheaper here...need to work out duty implication on that too.

I also noticed towels and linen seemed pricey and I love Laura Ashley so may require a final shop there too!!!!

Just wondered if there are random things people noticed much more expensive as we will have space
Out of interest how much is the 40ft Container?
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

Between 5,500 and £6,500....trying to get Anglo Pacific down to £6000 from £6700, Burke Bro and Atlantis both around £5.300 but not great reports about them on here the bloke form A P very helpful...e.g. We were not going to bother taking Washing Machine / Dishwasher etc, but as he pointed out Washing Machine around $1500 in Oz (checked on internet seems about right) so that with many other factors made us decided to take asd much as poss, better than buying loads on arrival (i our case anyway)
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 8:13 pm
jan
classy clipper

Between 5,500 and £6,500....trying to get Anglo Pacific down to £6000 from £6700, Burke Bro and Atlantis both around £5.300 but not great reports about them on here the bloke form A P very helpful...e.g. We were not going to bother taking Washing Machine / Dishwasher etc, but as he pointed out Washing Machine around $1500 in Oz (checked on internet seems about right) so that with many other factors made us decided to take asd much as poss, better than buying loads on arrival (i our case anyway)
What about import tax implications? I believe one needs to have purchased all items at least 12 months prior to export to avoid paying duty.
I think it is just a question of luck as to what customs officer one gets and also which boxes they decide to open.
Re the washing machine i would check out oz websites and check out brands
Miele from the u.k. you are looking at around £1,000
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah appears to be luck, being told customs are more interested in cleanliness no wicker, seeds foods etc obviously you would struggle to ship 10 brand new tellies, but in general if you are reasonable will be ok. Remove packaging etc and weigh up if you are required to pay duty will it be cheaper still, apparently they have a much higher value for things at customs, so say a tv costs $3500 and is £1500 here, their value for tax may be $4500 so not worth it.

I guess most things will be ccomparableso if needed new may as well buy there, but certain things may be loads more so it is worthwhile, also things like brands e.g Laura Ashley etc I want to get to take with me, even though I am sure there will be good selection there I guess....consider me sad...or clothes and accessory (sorry cushions!) mad
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 8:43 pm
jan
classy clipper

Yeah appears to be luck, being told customs are more interested in cleanliness no wicker, seeds foods etc obviously you would struggle to ship 10 brand new tellies, but in general if you are reasonable will be ok. Remove packaging etc and weigh up if you are required to pay duty will it be cheaper still, apparently they have a much higher value for things at customs, so say a tv costs $3500 and is £1500 here, their value for tax may be $4500 so not worth it.

I guess most things will be ccomparableso if needed new may as well buy there, but certain things may be loads more so it is worthwhile, also things like brands e.g Laura Ashley etc I want to get to take with me, even though I am sure there will be good selection there I guess....consider me sad...or clothes and accessory (sorry cushions!) mad
I dont blame you for shipping as much as possible. All goods are more expensive in oz and the selection of furniture etc is rubbish compared with the massive choice in the U.K. If you are a member of cosco they have superb selection of patio sets, Steel barbies from U.S.A. and other goods which cost bundles in oz (if available)T.K. MAX for Linen etc
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Really helpful thanks, kinda telling me what I suspected, went into new shop today here called homesense which is basically part of T K Maxx but all household, was brilliant (a nightmare for OH!) Monsoon Superking Quilt is £35 instead of £120, cheap top quality linen, towels etc so was planning on stocking up....need evidence from BE that it is worthwhile to convince hubby! I guess once sell house I will be in my element, scouring every available store for bargains prior to departing, it will be a little like pancakes before lent
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 10:45 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Samleeuk;6431472]Yeah appears to be luck, being told customs are more interested in cleanliness no wicker, seeds foods etc obviously you would struggle to ship 10 brand new tellies, but in general if you are reasonable will be ok. Remove packaging etc and weigh up if you are required to pay duty will it be cheaper still, apparently they have a much higher value for things at customs, so say a tv costs $3500 and is £1500 here, their value for tax may be $4500 so not worth it.

[QUOTE]

You could be heading for trouble if you believe this, AQIS are the ones who check for cleanliness.
Customs are very efficent here, and know what to look for if called in ,you are better off declaring things than risk a fine.
Also Australian bed sizes are different from the UK beds.............mm
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

You could be heading for trouble if you believe this, AQIS are the ones who check for cleanliness.
Customs are very efficent here, and know what to look for if called in ,you are better off declaring things than risk a fine.
Also Australian bed sizes are different from the UK beds.............mm
I think you misunderstand, I have no intention of not declaring, not worth the risk, this is why asking question as needs to be worthwhile getting stuff e.g. due to lack of choice or much cheaper....for example we are taking a new boxed Dyson and will state this on itinery...too much hassle cleaning old one and much more expensive in OZ...however sure many people will recommend equally good ones cheaper there.

Hope bed sizes are not massively different..our bed cost over £1000 although about 5 yrs ago, would never get much selling it but be expensive to replace, will just need to buy lots of lovely linen here then
Old Jun 4th 2008, 12:02 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

[Hope bed sizes are not massively different..our bed cost over £1000 although about 5 yrs ago, would never get much selling it but be expensive to replace, will just need to buy lots of lovely linen here then [/QUOTE]

This might help.
http://www.the-pillow.com.au/resources/bed_sizes.shtml
............mm
Old Jun 4th 2008, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

[quote=jollyswagman;6430855]Hi, i found that clothes and shoes etc were more expensive in Oz when i went over earlier this year so i will be having a big shop especially for kids, i intend to buy them the next couple of sizes up to put us on so that we are not having to buy clothes etc until we are well on our feet!

I went to Meyer yesterday and paid $6 for a pair of shoes originally priced at $149!!! I disagree that clothes and shoes are more expensive here!!!

Target have towels and bed linen at half price this week too!!!

However if you have got stuff at home that is in good nick and has several years left in it then get a container and ship it as its MUCH cheaper than replacing it!!

[/

We were not going to bother taking Washing Machine / Dishwasher etc, but as he pointed out Washing Machine around $1500 in Oz (checked on internet seems about right) so that with many other factors made us decided to take asd much as poss, better than buying loads on arrival (i our case anyway)
I paid £399 in the Kmart sale for my front loading washer and got the $200 rebate too!!

I think you misunderstand, I have no intention of not declaring, not worth the risk, this is why asking question as needs to be worthwhile getting stuff e.g. due to lack of choice or much cheaper....for example we are taking a new boxed Dyson and will state this on itinery...too much hassle cleaning old one and much more expensive in OZ...however sure many people will recommend equally good ones cheaper there.
I shipped a brand new dyson too but they are the same price here in Harvey Normans as they are in Argos.

Hope bed sizes are not massively different..our bed cost over £1000 although about 5 yrs ago, would never get much selling it but be expensive to replace, will just need to buy lots of lovely linen here then
I shipped my bed too and bought linen to fit also. I bought new quilts before leaving and the double UK seems to be a Queen here...

The majority of people I have spoken to here wish they had shipped more, as do I. If it works back home, if its wearable back home then shove it in the box!! Warm woolies, boots, coats, towels... everything!! You can always get rid of it here if you cant find a place for it!!
Old Jun 4th 2008, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

Darren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really nice

I guess it depends how long you've been here as to whether you think prices are more/less than UK. We haven't been in Perth long so I'm still in 'comparison' mode! Especially as it was a couple of years since last being in Perth and remembering the cheap prices then and expecting it to be similar.

For what it's worth, if I were to do it again, I'd buy loads more clothes to bring (quality doesn't seem as good here to me for the prices), definitely shoes - again you may be bargains, but unless you've been here a while you don't know when the sales are, places to go etc.

I'd bring loads more DS games, Wii games, PS games, DVDs, CDs.

Definitely bedding - I didn't bring anything as "manchester" was so cheap when we came last time. I've spent over $1000 just kitting out 3 beds with quilts, pillows, sheets and covers.

I'd have brought all the crap from my kitchen - instead of deciding to buy most new (as we'd had our old stuff a while) pots, pans, baking trays, coffee machine (gutted I didn't bring that),

Hope this helps,

Karen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.