Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The thing that drives me absolutely mental

The thing that drives me absolutely mental

Old Oct 14th 2003, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default The thing that drives me absolutely mental

3.57 am, its getting light, birds are getting loud, 4.28 am I can see in the bedroom, 5:00 broad daylight. In two months time 4.30 am will be broad daylight.

WHY cant we get bloody daylight saving, I know its hot out west, its hardly cool here in summer is it, however what the hell are you supposed to do with daylight in the middle of the bloody night.

Thats my total number one Pet hate, it is sooooooo annoying.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 2:06 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The thing that drives me absolutely mental

Originally posted by dotty
3.57 am, its getting light, birds are getting loud, 4.28 am I can see in the bedroom, 5:00 broad daylight. In two months time 4.30 am will be broad daylight.

WHY cant we get bloody daylight saving, I know its hot out west, its hardly cool here in summer is it, however what the hell are you supposed to do with daylight in the middle of the bloody night.

Thats my total number one Pet hate, it is sooooooo annoying.
I heard something about farmers and erections but coud not work it out myself.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 2:16 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

I heard it was down to the curtains fading..........

Originally posted by bondipom
I heard something about farmers and erections but coud not work it out myself.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Totally agree Dotty, my youngest insists it's time to get up the minute he can see a flicker of light outside "But it's daytime mummy - the suns out - look" as he pulls back the blinds and totally dazzles me!!

Maybe we should be scumbags and put towels and sheets up on the windows!!

Diane
Old Oct 14th 2003, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by DianeOZ
Totally agree Dotty, my youngest insists it's time to get up the minute he can see a flicker of light outside "But it's daytime mummy - the suns out - look" as he pulls back the blinds and totally dazzles me!!

Maybe we should be scumbags and put towels and sheets up on the windows!!

Diane
I remember those days, kids up at 4 beepin 30, neighbours kids too whole street actually. Blackout curtains dont work they hear the birds screetching.

Our bedroom faces east, if you leave even a tiny gap in the curtains you can get sunburnt in bed, not awfully popular I can tell you.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Can just imagine you with a red streak down the middle of your face
Old Oct 14th 2003, 3:33 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

I remember those days, kids up at 4 beepin 30, neighbours kids too whole street actually. Blackout curtains dont work they hear the birds screetching.

Our bedroom faces east, if you leave even a tiny gap in the curtains you can get sunburnt in bed, not awfully popular I can tell you.
one of the plusses for building new. every house I have been in (rental) the sun shines through the bedroom very early morning. not any more we have positioned our main bedroom so it's the last to get sun on it in the mornings...it only gets the full sun on it late afternoons, which of course we are not in there at this time.

I think new building laws these days take this into consideration.

Totally agree - bring in daylight savings time! It's too light in the mornings and gets too dark in the evenings when you get home.
People in QLD have been campaigning for years to get it changed especially on the border of NSW/QLD near the Tweed (NSW)
Old Oct 14th 2003, 3:49 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Live in a cave and problem gone.

Last edited by bondipom; Oct 14th 2003 at 3:54 am.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 3:59 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

You could try getting out of bed in the morning, Qld time instead of Greenwich Mean Time, and going to bed in the evening instead of the morning.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 4:58 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Megalania
You could try getting out of bed in the morning, Qld time instead of Greenwich Mean Time, and going to bed in the evening instead of the morning.

So, get up at 04:30, arrive at work four hours later at 08:30, get home at 18:30 and to bed by 19:30. Could have dinner in the morning whilst light enough for BBQ, invite friends and have a few drinks before work. Kids could do homework then go out to play with friends before school. Get down Coles and do the shopping at say 05:30...wait a minute, this isn't so practical is it
Old Oct 14th 2003, 5:08 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by jayr
So, get up at 04:30, arrive at work four hours later at 08:30, get home at 18:30 and to bed by 19:30. Could have dinner in the morning whilst light enough for BBQ, invite friends and have a few drinks before work. Kids could do homework then go out to play with friends before school. Get down Coles and do the shopping at say 05:30...wait a minute, this isn't so practical is it
Depends if your prefer chopping the wood, digging the garden, painting the house, doing the shopping, baking the cakes, swimming the river, climbing the hills in the cool of the morning or in the heat of the evening. Some people just can not "do" mornings.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Megalania
Depends if your prefer chopping the wood, digging the garden, painting the house, doing the shopping, baking the cakes, swimming the river, climbing the hills in the cool of the morning or in the heat of the evening. Some people just can not "do" mornings.
Chopping the wood, baking cakes!! even looking at the microwave is positively disturbing in mid summer.

Nothing like whipping up a roast when its 38 degrees:scared:

Evenings are terrible hot and dark, cant imagine a log fire somehow??
Old Oct 14th 2003, 5:31 am
Banned

Chopping the wood, baking cakes!! even looking at the microwave is positively disturbing in mid summer.

Nothing like whipping up a roast when its 38 degrees:scared:

Evenings are terrible hot and dark, cant imagine a log fire somehow??
Huh? You got 'lectricity already? Lazy bum. Buggered up the bloody Greeks too. Useta have the wood fired oven baking all done by 8am, eat yummy cold cuts before avro snooze. Now they stay up at night to see if their Aussie cousin will make the Idol finalists, wake up with sore retsina heads and the women refuse to get the baking done.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 6:25 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm, how annoying!

Anyway. I thought WA was the one without daylight saving? Though I can't remember it being light that early!

I do know that people in Oz do go to bed a bit earlier, get up a bit earlier than here.
One thing I'm going to miss is the long summer evenings! Although of course the other side is that it doesn't get dark as early in the winter!
Oh well, everything has it's good and bad sides....
Old Oct 14th 2003, 6:39 am
owieb

Originally posted by Simone82
I thought WA was the one without daylight saving? Though I can't remember it being light that early!
No daylight saving here, bright and sunny by 5:30am like everywhere else!

Checkout http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...ear=2003&day=1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.