Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

They even rob each other!

They even rob each other!

Old Jul 29th 2006, 12:21 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default They even rob each other!

I just wanted to write up what I witnessed in the bank yesterday, sorry hutch another petty story but I need to tell it.

I was standing in the queue at the bank and the guy in front got to the counter and wanted to deposit $550 cash in $50's. I saw him take out the money from his wallet and put the wallet back in his right pocket. He then took 1 $50 bill from the wad and put it in his left pocket and kept hold of it in his pocket. He handed over the wad and said he'd like to deposit $550. The teller counted it and found it short so counted it again and again, 3 times in all. She then said to the man, it's only $500 to which he whipped the last $50 out of his pocket and handed her the note and apologised for the mistake.

This wasn't some honest mistake as he knew it was short and the blatant and I would call it daft way he magic-ed up the last note was so obviously an attempt to steal from the bank. The teller just took the note and carried on.

When I got to the teller I couldn't help but ask! I asked if that happened very often and she asked what, I told her about the attempt to keep a $50 back and she said " Oh yes they all try it on all the time, that's why we count the money so thoroughly!”

I have been on the receiving end of this trick so many times here when they are giving you your change that I now work out my expected change in advance, but what amazed me is that it happens so much in the reverse with the customers trying it on too.

The same day I witnessed two woman trying to take back a babies toy in Big W. The toy was 3months+ and the baby was clearly over a year old, had played with is and now they were trying to get their money back for it. The box was badly abused and you would find better on ebay. The upshot was Big W gave the money back!!

These sort of things never ever enter my head to try, here it seems to be a national pastime….
Old Jul 29th 2006, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: They even rob each other!

Arkon this happens all over the world. You will always have your opportunists. Thanks for the advice about counting change.

Originally Posted by arkon
I just wanted to write up what I witnessed in the bank yesterday, sorry hutch another petty story but I need to tell it.

I was standing in the queue at the bank and the guy in front got to the counter and wanted to deposit $550 cash in $50's. I saw him take out the money from his wallet and put the wallet back in his right pocket. He then took 1 $50 bill from the wad and put it in his left pocket and kept hold of it in his pocket. He handed over the wad and said he'd like to deposit $550. The teller counted it and found it short so counted it again and again, 3 times in all. She then said to the man, it's only $500 to which he whipped the last $50 out of his pocket and handed her the note and apologised for the mistake.

This wasn't some honest mistake as he knew it was short and the blatant and I would call it daft way he magic-ed up the last note was so obviously an attempt to steal from the bank. The teller just took the note and carried on.

When I got to the teller I couldn't help but ask! I asked if that happened very often and she asked what, I told her about the attempt to keep a $50 back and she said " Oh yes they all try it on all the time, that's why we count the money so thoroughly!”

I have been on the receiving end of this trick so many times here when they are giving you your change that I now work out my expected change in advance, but what amazed me is that it happens so much in the reverse with the customers trying it on too.

The same day I witnessed two woman trying to take back a babies toy in Big W. The toy was 3months+ and the baby was clearly over a year old, had played with is and now they were trying to get their money back for it. The box was badly abused and you would find better on ebay. The upshot was Big W gave the money back!!

These sort of things never ever enter my head to try, here it seems to be a national pastime….
Old Jul 29th 2006, 2:22 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

We can all recount similar stories from anywhere in the world, the bank thing used to happen all the time in the UK (my Mum works in a bank) Scrotes will be scrotes wherever they live, simple as that.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 2:28 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

My mother used to work in a bank in the uk and she used to tell me incredible tales about people trying to rip off the place. Keeping money back (just as you described), signing false names to withdrawal slips, pretending to be someone else and using their account (usually stolen bank cards that they couldn't use in the ATM), fraudulent loans on 'behalf' of other people, slipping in foreign currency...
I'm afraid it's not an Aussie thing, Arkon, although it's probably the first time you've seen it here. I saw it plenty when I did the banking for our business in the UK too.
LOL - Your face must have been a picture.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 2:56 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
My mother used to work in a bank in the uk and she used to tell me incredible tales about people trying to rip off the place. Keeping money back (just as you described), signing false names to withdrawal slips, pretending to be someone else and using their account (usually stolen bank cards that they couldn't use in the ATM), fraudulent loans on 'behalf' of other people, slipping in foreign currency...
I'm afraid it's not an Aussie thing, Arkon, although it's probably the first time you've seen it here. I saw it plenty when I did the banking for our business in the UK too.
LOL - Your face must have been a picture.
I was just bustin to say something on both occasions. Just bit my lip and watched.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 3:01 am
Account Closed

I was just bustin to say something on both occasions. Just bit my lip and watched.

LOL - I've been in Tesco and watched people do stuff (nicking stuff, doing the 'I gave you a 20' excuse etc and just been too gobsmacked to know what to say. I mean, what DO you say? And if you do speak up, don't you get that whole 'busybody' thing happening...but I'd rather be that than letting shitty people get away with it. The 'the country 'owes' them something' mentality drives me up the wall, because they're usually lazy bludgers who haven't worked a day in their lives and no-one owes them a thing!

Oh no, don't get me started!
Old Jul 29th 2006, 5:52 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

What did you expect when you immigrated to a country whose people are decended from convicts.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 5:55 am
Account Closed

What, as opposed to the UK where they're descended from Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Celts, Picts and a few raping and pillaging Vikings too?

I have to say, I find the title of this thread very amusing.

They being 'people' or 'Australians'?
Old Jul 29th 2006, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

rodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond repute

must try that next
banks have robbed me for the last 20 years
Old Jul 29th 2006, 5:57 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by rodandhayley
must try that next
banks have robbed me for the last 20 years

You'll never get away with it.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 6:01 am
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

You'll never get away with it.
I once worked in a club and someone ripped me off for $3000!! He didn't sign the credit card slip and stupid me didn't notice. I got sacked over that one

I also worked at a jewelers in Brighton and someone stole a 2000 pound ring while I was serving him... got sacked over that too.

What these theives don't realize is that the people serving them end up paying for thier crimes.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 6:06 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Deer Hunter
I once worked in a club and someone ripped me off for $3000!! He didn't sign the credit card slip and stupid me didn't notice. I got sacked over that one

I also worked at a jewelers in Brighton and someone stole a 2000 pound ring while I was serving him... got sacked over that too.

What these theives don't realize is that the people serving them end up paying for thier crimes.

I used to work in a great restaurant in the UK, and these two guys from the office complex upstairs came in, ordered bottles and bottles of champagne, chose the most expensive stuff off the menu and then when my back was turned, they did a runner.

Thankfully my boss was very cool about the 3500 UK pound bill and just waited until they came in the next week, as these arrogant idiots were regulars. When she presented them with the bill, she added the other one on too. She'd also phoned ahead to the local police saying she was expecting trouble and they'd sent a couple of officers who stood by the door. The guys paid by credit card and never came back. They were thick.

Do you think now we're going to get accused of 'just because there's a negative comment about Australia, we're jumping on the 'Australia's great' bandwagon?
Old Jul 29th 2006, 6:08 am
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to work in a great restaurant in the UK, and these two guys from the office complex upstairs came in, ordered bottles and bottles of champagne, chose the most expensive stuff off the menu and then when my back was turned, they did a runner.

Thankfully my boss was very cool about the 3500 UK pound bill and just waited until they came in the next week, as these arrogant idiots were regulars. When she presented them with the bill, she added the other one on too. She'd also phoned ahead to the local police saying she was expecting trouble and they'd sent a couple of officers who stood by the door. The guys paid by credit card and never came back. They were thick.

Do you think now we're going to get accused of 'just because there's a negative comment about Australia, we're jumping on the 'Australia's great' bandwagon?
LOL! Probably. Quick get the armour.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 6:33 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

What, as opposed to the UK where they're descended from Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Celts, Picts and a few raping and pillaging Vikings too?

I have to say, I find the title of this thread very amusing.

They being 'people' or 'Australians'?
Was wondering the same thing, but was finding it hard to give a shit about this thread. I think he means 'they' as in 'the great unwashed who are not worthy to lick the shit from my shoe' - a menial lower ranking caste. Also, it's like it's some great discovery - as if no English person would ever rob another English person... oh dear me no - those lovely English are far too superior to do anything like that.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 6:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

What does rob each other mean? Are you surprised then it is not, after all, a Aussie vs Pom pastime or trick!!!??

You live in a poor area by the sound of it with people who struggle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.