Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

These i-pods are great..bye bye CD's

These i-pods are great..bye bye CD's

Old Feb 26th 2005, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was Kent, UK...now Pacific Pines Gold Coast and loving it
sonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud of
Thumbs up These i-pods are great..bye bye CD's

We have a 6 month old son, who is just starting to get mobile, so we decided it was time to move our CD racks out of reach. However, we then saw our friends i-pod and were sold on how many CD's you can store on them. So we decided to move our whole collection onto our PC, which meant we didn't need our CD's anymore.

So, not only can we now play continuous music for over 15 days (600 albums and still going!!), we don't have to think about shipping our CD's and may even add them to the sale stuff to raise funds for Oz.

The more we sell, the less we have to ship...hoorah

Downside, is there is now more carpet than needs hoovering :-)
Old Feb 26th 2005, 5:16 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Cool Re: These i-pods are great..bye bye CD's

Originally Posted by sonictigger
We have a 6 month old son, who is just starting to get mobile, so we decided it was time to move our CD racks out of reach. However, we then saw our friends i-pod and were sold on how many CD's you can store on them. So we decided to move our whole collection onto our PC, which meant we didn't need our CD's anymore.

So, not only can we now play continuous music for over 15 days (600 albums and still going!!), we don't have to think about shipping our CD's and may even add them to the sale stuff to raise funds for Oz.

You are right they are great gadgets........but, you are allowed to backup your music providing you own the originals. If you sell your CD collection then you are breaking the Copyright Laws.

Just a thought, but I have read about other people that are worried about taking out non-original CD's and DVD's etc, you know, the type you get offered down the pub etc. Something to think about and you really can't beat the genuine thing.

R
Old Feb 26th 2005, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was Kent, UK...now Pacific Pines Gold Coast and loving it
sonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud of
Default Re: These i-pods are great..bye bye CD's

Originally Posted by Carruss
You are right they are great gadgets........but, you are allowed to backup your music providing you own the originals. If you sell your CD collection then you are breaking the Copyright Laws.

Just a thought, but I have read about other people that are worried about taking out non-original CD's and DVD's etc, you know, the type you get offered down the pub etc. Something to think about and you really can't beat the genuine thing.

R
How does i-tunes work then, as we haven't bought a new CD for about 3 months now - just pay & download them straight to hard drive.
Old Feb 26th 2005, 6:46 pm
oneday someday

jas_uk is a jewel in the roughjas_uk is a jewel in the roughjas_uk is a jewel in the roughjas_uk is a jewel in the roughjas_uk is a jewel in the rough

How does i-tunes work then, as we haven't bought a new CD for about 3 months now - just pay & download them straight to hard drive.
Because iTunes is run by Apple, who then pay a proportion (in fact most of) the fee you pay (99p ish) per song to the record label owning that artist.. in the end iTunes actually loses them money but it helps them sell more iPods, which of course makes them way more money.

If you sell your cds, the copy on your ipod is no longer legal - as you no longer have a 'license' to copy the music - that is what you pay iTunes->Apple->Record companies for. So, in that case it would be the same as copying someone elses CDs and then giving them back - or stealing CDS - if you no longer own the CD you no longer have the right to have any copies of the content upon it. Although it is academic whether anyone would ever actually find out!

Also, if using iTunes to convert your CDs onto your computer, please pleeeasee dont use the default setting of 128kbps AAC format - at least use 160 or 192kbps bit rate (and preferably MP3 not AAC, so if in 5 years time a new device comes out to replace the iPod and doesnt support AAC, you run the risk of having to either reencode all your cds or transcode them to MP3 (and lose further quality)) otherwise at some point you will want to play your ipod through a semi decent stereo (not saying you dont have one at the moment!) and you will totally be able to hear the difference.. and then regret not using a higher bit rate!

Old Feb 26th 2005, 9:33 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

nothing can beat having the cd if you REALLY like the artist.

If you want some free Mp3`s from an indie artist try www.mandyleigh.com
Old Feb 26th 2005, 9:48 pm
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jas_uk
Because iTunes is run by Apple, who then pay a proportion (in fact most of) the fee you pay (99p ish) per song to the record label owning that artist.. in the end iTunes actually loses them money but it helps them sell more iPods, which of course makes them way more money.

If you sell your cds, the copy on your ipod is no longer legal - as you no longer have a 'license' to copy the music - that is what you pay iTunes->Apple->Record companies for. So, in that case it would be the same as copying someone elses CDs and then giving them back - or stealing CDS - if you no longer own the CD you no longer have the right to have any copies of the content upon it. Although it is academic whether anyone would ever actually find out!

Also, if using iTunes to convert your CDs onto your computer, please pleeeasee dont use the default setting of 128kbps AAC format - at least use 160 or 192kbps bit rate (and preferably MP3 not AAC, so if in 5 years time a new device comes out to replace the iPod and doesnt support AAC, you run the risk of having to either reencode all your cds or transcode them to MP3 (and lose further quality)) otherwise at some point you will want to play your ipod through a semi decent stereo (not saying you dont have one at the moment!) and you will totally be able to hear the difference.. and then regret not using a higher bit rate!

Also be aware that I-Tunes is not available in Australia yet either.

Also what you going to do when you need to replace your computer? its going to be a nightmare to back up all those Cds, and move them across to the new PC, and take a while..

I would keep the CDs just in case, also you'll need them to play in you car stereo...
Old Feb 26th 2005, 9:54 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormz
nothing can beat having the cd if you REALLY like the artist.

If you want some free Mp3`s from an indie artist try www.mandyleigh.com
shes a great singer.
i had to laugh at this though.

'All of the acoustic songs were recorded live after just a few practice runs.
Next to no effects were used as I believe in the natural voice'.

during the song 'Tonight' u can hear a baby in the backgroung
just magic when u hear songs really live

Last edited by soapy©; Feb 26th 2005 at 10:17 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2005, 9:55 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Pity you didn't get a proper MP3 player like an iRiver or Sony (basically like an ipod on steroids). Unlike an ipod, with an iRiver you don't need to use itunes, you can see the player as a drive in windows, wma format, double the battery life etc. All I can say is Apple have done some great marketing....
Old Feb 26th 2005, 10:54 pm
oneday someday

jas_uk is a jewel in the roughjas_uk is a jewel in the roughjas_uk is a jewel in the roughjas_uk is a jewel in the roughjas_uk is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Pity you didn't get a proper MP3 player like an iRiver or Sony (basically like an ipod on steroids). Unlike an ipod, with an iRiver you don't need to use itunes, you can see the player as a drive in windows, wma format, double the battery life etc. All I can say is Apple have done some great marketing....
yes, they have awesome marketing.. using software such as ephpod (www.ephpod.com) you can get pretty near though. Thing is though, have you ever held an iRiver in your hand at the same time as an iPod in the other? The sexyness factor of the one outweighs the other 20 times over, in favour of the iPod. Yeah ,there are many things about the iPod interface that irritate if you are a power user, (I write software for integrated devices... F1 car control systems which does have some similarity to portable audio equipment believe it or not) and I agree the iRiver is the sensible choice when it comes to value for money and interfacing with a computer.. for sexyness though the iPod wins hands down!
Old Feb 26th 2005, 11:34 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Chuck the plastic CD cases, keep CD's in albums, backup i-pod to DVD, get rid of old "music systems" seems way people are going.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 12:55 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Irivers are supposed to be a bit buggy. Maybe some firmware will fix it up in the future. The Creatives seem like a good balance but their navigability is supposed to be the weakness. Both irivers and creatives have better sound than the ipod. There are also plenty of people who use non apple earphones as they don't want to be marked out as a marketing victim.

I still find it hard to justify the money for what is a walkman. I wouldn't say no though.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 3:08 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bondipom
I still find it hard to justify the money for what is a walkman. I wouldn't say no though.
Bit more than that - more the core of a much cheaper "music system" which much more flexible. Plug into a mini-amplifier and speakers or head phones, twiddle with the play lists and you have a system for many seasons. A revolution as large as CDs or DVDs. Loading from CDs and preparing play lists is the current limitation on uptake. Not musical myself buy wife has lots of fun fiddling with all the bits of the music delivery system.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 3:51 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Quinkana
Bit more than that - more the core of a much cheaper "music system" which much more flexible. Plug into a mini-amplifier and speakers or head phones, twiddle with the play lists and you have a system for many seasons. A revolution as large as CDs or DVDs. Loading from CDs and preparing play lists is the current limitation on uptake. Not musical myself buy wife has lots of fun fiddling with all the bits of the music delivery system.
Certainly is a huge change in the way we listen to music. I just find the prices a bit high at the moment. Better cheaper products are on their way. When the right model comes along I will buy.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 5:01 am
Banned

Fuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant future

I am a huge Ipod fan and find that the people who run them down are normally non owners and jealous of us true music fans.

I also have the gadget which clips on top to turn it into a broadcast radio station and tune it into the car radio, hence no need for a CD changer in the boot or a stack of dodgy CD's in the glove box.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 5:50 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by soapy
shes a great singer.
i had to laugh at this though.

'All of the acoustic songs were recorded live after just a few practice runs.
Next to no effects were used as I believe in the natural voice'.

during the song 'Tonight' u can hear a baby in the backgroung
just magic when u hear songs really live
Yeah Damaris was in the room. I was playing guitar, Mandyleigh doing vocals of course and Phil was on the keyboard and recording it all in his spare bedroom. I think Damaris was saying `dad dad dad`and something else, which is really nice as the song was all for her anyway.

Apologies about not having alll the lyrics up yet for the latest 3 songs.... will try to do them today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.