Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are These Feelings Normal

Are These Feelings Normal

Old Sep 10th 2010, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Hampshire - soon to be somewhere between Brissie and Gold Coast!!!
MrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud of
Default Re: Are These Feelings Normal

Originally Posted by scotsista
All of your worries are my worries too!! Well, apart from the green pigs!!

I do strongly agree it would be worse not to have taken the risk though - life is short and precious. We must live it to the full!

Angela
x
You don't worry about green pigs with yellow spots????

Where are you guys off to and when?
Old Sep 10th 2010, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

scotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsE
You don't worry about green pigs with yellow spots????

Where are you guys off to and when?
Not at all!

We're off to Melbourne, still to decide when, probably next April/May. Just received our passports back today with visas in - how exciting!!

Angela
Old Sep 10th 2010, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TD63
Can anybody relate to this situation. Flights booked for Jan 2011 into Brisbane with temporary accommodation booked in Mooloolaba whilst i look for a permenant rental, Child offered a place at a school. All good ??.
Leaving my place of employment (own small company/ joiner) no job in place in OZ, but will be financily ok for the first 12 months. Wife drops the bombshell,:- dont think we should go as we wont be able to survive, and being 45 shes worried i would be unemployable and why leave a place of being secure (UK) and under no pressure to relocate to the Sunshine Coast for a better quility of life, When if we have no employment then all we have is the sunshine. I have tried to reassure her i MUST be able to find work within the first 12 months, things surely cant be that bad in OZ., i will of course cut my losses if she refuses to go as she may have a valid point.
Are these UP and DOWN Emotions common ? Help
Yep, I agree with all the posts on here so far. We felt exactly the same when we moved to the UK over ten years ago. We ping ponged twice to and from the UK.

So we knew more-or-less what we were in for when moving to Oz, and we are far more relaxed about it and not worried.

We also have to get jobs still, which is a concern, but hopefully it won't be too long a wait.

We have pretty much sorted everyting in the first week:- House rental, drivers licenses (ID), bought car etc... See my blog when you're bored.

So far loving Brisbane.

Not at all!

We're off to Melbourne, still to decide when, probably next April/May. Just received our passports back today with visas in - how exciting!!

Angela
Congrats!

Now get over here pronto!!!

Last edited by Alfresco; Sep 10th 2010 at 9:01 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud of

Not at all!

Angela
#

Wow! You lucky things! How long did it take for you to get your visas?
Old Sep 10th 2010, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

scotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond repute

#

Wow! You lucky things! How long did it take for you to get your visas?
Only 3 months surprisingly!!!

We couldn't believe it after the agent telling us 12 months - 3 years.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

pomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jon77
Best bit of advice on this thread
Im so glad i logged in today this thread has made me feel so positive again after a couple of weeks of panicing the 'what ifs'.....Notice date approaches at work and its natural after 10 years to question but I AM SURE ITS RIGHT FOR US....WA here we come

Good luck to all
Old Sep 12th 2010, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice

Hi

We are just waiting for our 457 to be approved with the aim of flying out late october. Yes we have one job but giving up friends family home pets seems very scary now. Our 3 year old has no understanding grandma and grandad wont be around often ( though they are coming out in jan??!!). Currently i am nervous and scared especially about having no friends and being stuck at home with two children ( i did have acareer until july...) BUT we will regret not giving it a shot we will give it at least two years and have a great experience. Good friends and family will be here on our return if we do return...
Roll on Brisbane :-)
These feelings are understandably normal...
Helen
Old Sep 12th 2010, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Only 3 months surprisingly!!!

We couldn't believe it after the agent telling us 12 months - 3 years.
Ohmygod! 3 months??? What profession and type of visa are you going under?
Old Sep 12th 2010, 9:43 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Can anybody relate to this situation. Flights booked for Jan 2011 into Brisbane with temporary accommodation booked in Mooloolaba whilst i look for a permenant rental, Child offered a place at a school. All good ??.
Leaving my place of employment (own small company/ joiner) no job in place in OZ, but will be financily ok for the first 12 months. Wife drops the bombshell,:- dont think we should go as we wont be able to survive, and being 45 shes worried i would be unemployable and why leave a place of being secure (UK) and under no pressure to relocate to the Sunshine Coast for a better quility of life, When if we have no employment then all we have is the sunshine. I have tried to reassure her i MUST be able to find work within the first 12 months, things surely cant be that bad in OZ., i will of course cut my losses if she refuses to go as she may have a valid point.
We came out here in 1983 with no job to go to. Arrived to find Australia was having a mini-recession and it took me 9 months to find a permanent job, having had two temporary jobs in the interim. Then I landed a job which got me started in a completely new industry (oil & gas pipelines) and I am now a principal engineer in the industry and running training courses worldwide.

Yes, we had doubts before we came out here, having sold up everything in the UK and burnt a lot of bridges, but I've never regretted the move for a minute - not even during those first few months when things didn't look too secure.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

There have been several posts on this sort of topic. First, I think anyone who doesn't have doubts or the collywoblles is heading for trouble. So, yes, UP and DOWN is common, normal and probably healthy.
I agree, its a massive thing, and has been compared to the process of grief for a lot of people, better to be prepared and sometimes it helps to think "whats the worse that can happen?" if its that you dont like it, and eventually go back...well then you'll deal with it, thousands do!! Good luck!
Old Sep 13th 2010, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

We arrived with a job but had never been to Oz before and had no money, no household stuff and no where to live. Did we worry? A bit, but i think the excitment carried us through.

As for being over the hill at 45. We came out when i was 38 as recent grad with little experience.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 3:27 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Maaaaaaate, when you wake up and you realise you ain't just surrounded by sea but actually girt by it then everything else pales into insignificance.

Even if the park bench that night was not the comfiest place in the world
Old Sep 14th 2010, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

TD63 is just really niceTD63 is just really niceTD63 is just really niceTD63 is just really niceTD63 is just really niceTD63 is just really niceTD63 is just really niceTD63 is just really nice

Hi there

Congratulations! You lucky things - off to Oz in January

Now, back to the worrying thing! Seeing as hubby and I are experts in this field thought I'd try and put your mind at rest a little

We are very early on in the process, still waiting for hubby's skills assessment to be returned but hoping to submit application before the end of this month

We have been "thinking" about emigrating for about 4 or 5 years and after going for a reccie in March/April this year decided to take the plunge! We basically think that if we don't do it now we never will and we don't want to get 10 years down the line and have big regrets about not giving it a go! At the end of the day, all things going well we may live to around 90 (if we are lucky) so what's a couple of years out of that to give something different a try? If we don't like it we can come home

Some of the worries that frequently cross my mind are...........

What if we don't like it?

What if hubby likes it and I don't?

What if I like it and hubby doesn't?

What if our girls miss the family and their friends?

What if we don't settle - have we up-routed everybody for nothing?

What if hubby doesn't find a job?

What if the girls end up loving it and we don't feel settled and come back home and they end up being upset with us for taking them away from Oz?

What if we miss friends and family too much?

What if green pigs with yellow spots fly in front of the plane

There are many many more worries that I have but these are just a few Hope this makes you feel a little more "normal" about the worries you guys are having

BTW Mooloolabah is amazing! We had a few days there on our reccie earlier this year!

GO FOR IT!!!!! LIFE IS FOR LIVING
Thanks for all the words of encouragement, i think the OH is now more comfortable with the desicion, i think she is now sure she isnt the only one who had these up and down feelings. its good to know that their is a good set of honest people on this site who offer their support when needed. Thanks
Old Sep 14th 2010, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

SpeedyJon is just really niceSpeedyJon is just really niceSpeedyJon is just really niceSpeedyJon is just really niceSpeedyJon is just really niceSpeedyJon is just really niceSpeedyJon is just really niceSpeedyJon is just really nice

I think if you didn't have any concerns, worries, whatever you want to call them, it would suggest you hadn't given a pretty huge change in your life some thought.

I reckon thinking this sort of thing through, with all the ups and downs that is bound to entail, is a very sensible approach.

I'd be more worried if you didn't look at this with a balanced view - you might be heading for a fall. Heading into things with your eyes open, having thought it through seems pretty healthy to me.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 4:18 am
Just Joined

Gun4Hire has a spectacular aura aboutGun4Hire has a spectacular aura aboutGun4Hire has a spectacular aura about

I'm not 45 yet, but it's nothing, heck 55 is nothing, actually nor is 60 for many.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.