Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

which of these degrees would be more benifcial in the Australian jobs market

which of these degrees would be more benifcial in the Australian jobs market

Old Sep 28th 2016, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

LucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really nice
Default which of these degrees would be more benifcial in the Australian jobs market

https://itsligo.ie/courses/bsc-in-oc...health-online/

or

https://itsligo.ie/courses/bsc-in-en...al-management/
Old Sep 28th 2016, 6:50 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: which of these degrees would be more benifcial in the Australian jobs market

Which is the one that you want to do? Why would you waste your time and money doing something that you won't like?
Old Sep 28th 2016, 7:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: which of these degrees would be more benifcial in the Australian jobs market

At risk of stating the obvious, but the first one would be good for a career in Occupationsl Health & Safety and the second one might be good for a career in Environmental Management. I would imagine that would be the case be it in Ireland, UK, Australia or Mongolia.

Which career do you fancy?
Old Sep 28th 2016, 10:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Never choose a career because you think you might get a visa out of it. Choose a career because you love it. As the others have said, which one really makes your blood rush?
Old Sep 28th 2016, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

LucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really nice

I already of a degree in chemistry but my career options in Australia seem to be limited in this field as far as salary is concerned, since Environmental is still in the science bracket I could do a 1 year conversion course and get credit for prior learning. I am 38 and am too old to go back to college to do a 4 year degree in something completely new and I think its very naive to education yourself in something you love, its just not that practical and if it where why doesn't everyone do it?
Old Sep 28th 2016, 9:47 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LucasHood
I already of a degree in chemistry but my career options in Australia seem to be limited in this field as far as salary is concerned, since Environmental is still in the science bracket I could do a 1 year conversion course and get credit for prior learning. I am 38 and am too old to go back to college to do a 4 year degree in something completely new and I think its very naive to education yourself in something you love, its just not that practical and if it where why doesn't everyone do it?
I think many people choose careers and degrees for things they enjoy doing - I wouldn't want to spend a lifetime working doing something I hate or can only tolerate. Some people make the wrong choice initially and change their career paths early on.

And 38 is not too old to do anything - many people change careers or study for progression as they get older and can afford to do so.
Old Sep 28th 2016, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

This is very confusing. What is the purpose for asking the question? Environmental scientists come from all sort of degrees. Chemistry, Geology, Civil Engineers, even Zoology and at your age can earn up to $160,000 per year.

Its all about getting a foot in the door based on your education and building a career around that.

Is there an agenda here that you are not disclosing?
Old Sep 29th 2016, 8:04 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

why is naive to educate yourself about something you love? 90% ormore of the people I new at college were there doing courses they liked/loved/were interested in. I don't remember meeting anyone doing a course just becuse there were more jobs in that area.

I woud say - after years watching the migration game - that its far more naive to educate yourself in something purely cos you think it might get you a visa and maybe even a job in another country. Visa rules change constantly, so do the SOL and CSOL. Many are the people who have been caught out studying a certain course believing it would get them PR only to see it drop off the lists.
Life is too short to spend time learning about something you don't enjoy.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Can you get a visa as a chemist or whatever your current occupation is? If so, why not do that and then when you are in Australia start to think about a career change if that is what you want to do.

Changing career at age 38 with a view to getting a visa afterwards might result in age going against you as you will need to have a post qualification track record after you qualify and the points test is going to be hard to pass.

I don't know much about Environmental Science but my BIL was a mechanic of some description but he made a lateral shift within the company he was working for and now is Occupational Health & Safety manager. And I am certain he did not need a degree to make the career change and in fact I am pretty sure he hasn't got a degree at all.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 9:53 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Never to old to study. I'm much older than 38 and busy finishing off an MBA. Loads of people at my uni are of a similar age
Old Sep 29th 2016, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry for the confusion , it's not my intention to do any particular degree to get a visa . My current chemistry degree and experience will do that for me . However I'm just looking at ways to increase my income by re skilling once I'm over there
Old Sep 29th 2016, 1:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sorry for the confusion , it's not my intention to do any particular degree to get a visa . My current chemistry degree and experience will do that for me . However I'm just looking at ways to increase my income by re skilling once I'm over there
I would reiterate my suggestion to focus on one thing at a time. You aren't in Australia yet so no pint thinking about a second career in Australia. Focus on getting to Australia first of all.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I would reiterate my suggestion to focus on one thing at a time. You aren't in Australia yet so no pint thinking about a second career in Australia. Focus on getting to Australia first of all.
Cool thanks, would it put you off making the move if your current qualification paid a very modest wage?
Old Sep 29th 2016, 2:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Cool thanks, would it put you off making the move if your current qualification paid a very modest wage?
I looked into this when you first posted a few weeks ago and commented at the time - although you did not respond. But anyway my comment was that I had researched salaries in your profession and I could not see any particular difference between your potential earnings in UK versus your potential earnings in Australia. I am not going to redo that research, you will have to refer to my earlier post.

If I were in a profession that I felt dId not pay me what I wanted to be paid,then yes I would do something about it, although in fact I would have looked into it before entering said profession. But in your case, I simply don't see it as a migration question.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I looked into this when you first posted a few weeks ago and commented at the time - although you did not respond. But anyway my comment was that I had researched salaries in your profession and I could not see any particular difference between your potential earnings in UK versus your potential earnings in Australia. I am not going to redo that research, you will have to refer to my earlier post.

If I were in a profession that I felt dId not pay me what I wanted to be paid,then yes I would do something about it, although in fact I would have looked into it before entering said profession. But in your case, I simply don't see it as a migration question.
I never said I lived in the UK, I don't by the way

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.