Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

There's a rat in my kitchen

Wikiposts

There's a rat in my kitchen

Old Feb 25th 2005, 2:28 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: There's a rat in my kitchen - the pics

Originally Posted by DagBoy
Captured some pics off the video :-)
rat sniffing bait
trap going off
rat giving me the finger :mad :
Ahhh, it's cute!

Can't help, but good luck! :scared:

And re the walls, well, at least you're working on it, and the thingy above the door looks nice!

Our kitchen(rental) sounds like Hevs, exept it not even pine, it's even older.
But we're buying soon, and going to try the worst house in the best area, and then we can do it up(with a lot of help from my dad )
Old Feb 25th 2005, 8:21 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: There's a rat in my kitchen - the pics

Originally Posted by Simone
Our kitchen(rental) sounds like Hevs, exept it not even pine, it's even older.
But we're buying soon, and going to try the worst house in the best area, and then we can do it up(with a lot of help from my dad )
Thats exactly what we've done (again) Simone, its a great way to make some money too
Old Feb 26th 2005, 12:57 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: There's a rat in my kitchen

Originally Posted by DagBoy
What am I going to do?

Serious question. The "not so native" wildlife at our house includes a rat (maybe several?) that has taken to popping into the kitchen and helping itself to food. The other day an entire loaf of bread went and we though we were going mad until I saw this rat sitting on the fridge trying to bite through the bag of a new loaf a few days later. It seemed tame (or extremely cocky) because it stayed put. It only actually moved when I picked up our senile incontinent old cat and waved her in the general direction.

So, MrsD bought some rat traps and tonight I set one - in the place behind the fridge where it is coming in. I heard some noise later and looked in to see that the bait was gone. I shone my torch along (it is a roof void that is open because our kitchen is a but underequipped in the wall department at the moment) and saw a smug fat rat sitting about 10 feet away eating bait.

New bait, reset trap, put it in place. Wait a few mins then shine torch. There is rat heading towards bait. I rush for video camera and get the rat and trap in good focus (holding torch in other hand so a bit shaky). Nearer, nearer, ......smack!!! the trap is set off. Hooray.

The rat looks a bit peeved at the surprise and takes bait back along void, pausing only to give me a dirty look.

Ah well - maybe I should get a carpet snake? Any better ideas welcomed.

Cheers,

DagBoy

PS. We have named our possum podgy - what should we call the rat?

LOL, love this story. (its the way you tell 'em)

If you would care to pay my airfare across to Brissie, I will happily bring my "mistress mouser" over to solve your problem.

she has been taking lessons from the cat next door and now is at the "advanced" stage where I get presented on a regular basis with birds, lizards and other assorted wildlife. Given that the birds are ALWAYS turtle doves, and the assorted wildlife are normally huntsman spiders, I have made no efforts to "cure" her predatory instincts

Regarding the rat, (until you pay my airfare ) can I also suggest that the name Roland could be appropriate ???????