Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

There's a rat in my kitchen

Wikiposts

There's a rat in my kitchen

Old Feb 24th 2005, 8:15 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: There's a rat in my kitchen

Originally Posted by DagBoy
What am I going to do?
The "not so native" wildlife at our house includes a rat (maybe several?) that has taken to popping into the kitchen and helping itself to food. It seemed tame (or extremely cocky) because it stayed put.

It only actually moved when I picked up our senile incontinent old cat and waved her in the general direction.
Ah well - maybe I should get a carpet snake? Any better ideas welcomed.

Cheers,

DagBoy

PS. We have named our possum podgy - what should we call the rat?
Dagboy, does this rat belong to a Spainish waiter from Barcelona, working in a hotel at Torquay, and go by the name of Basil?
Old Feb 24th 2005, 3:51 pm
Badge

UB40...who else.

badge

Old Feb 24th 2005, 4:44 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
You need to speak to an old infamous aussie legend, called "dynamite Jack" Famous for blowing up bridges and treestumps and the like, on old holden car rallies around the eastern States.
Any relation to "Blaster Bates" from Cheshire ? Now, he could REALLY get rid of things

Old Feb 24th 2005, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

capacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to all

What am I going to do?

Serious question. The "not so native" wildlife at our house includes a rat (maybe several?) that has taken to popping into the kitchen and helping itself to food. The other day an entire loaf of bread went and we though we were going mad until I saw this rat sitting on the fridge trying to bite through the bag of a new loaf a few days later. It seemed tame (or extremely cocky) because it stayed put. It only actually moved when I picked up our senile incontinent old cat and waved her in the general direction.

So, MrsD bought some rat traps and tonight I set one - in the place behind the fridge where it is coming in. I heard some noise later and looked in to see that the bait was gone. I shone my torch along (it is a roof void that is open because our kitchen is a but underequipped in the wall department at the moment) and saw a smug fat rat sitting about 10 feet away eating bait.

New bait, reset trap, put it in place. Wait a few mins then shine torch. There is rat heading towards bait. I rush for video camera and get the rat and trap in good focus (holding torch in other hand so a bit shaky). Nearer, nearer, ......smack!!! the trap is set off. Hooray.

The rat looks a bit peeved at the surprise and takes bait back along void, pausing only to give me a dirty look.

Ah well - maybe I should get a carpet snake? Any better ideas welcomed.

Cheers,

DagBoy

PS. We have named our possum podgy - what should we call the rat?

tame it and take it the park for walks - start a new fashion
Old Feb 24th 2005, 7:10 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all
Cool Re: There's a rat in my kitchen

Rat In Mi Kitchen
by UB40
album: The Very Best of UB40 (2000),
The Best of UB40 - Volume One (1987)

(Chorus)

There`s a rat in me kitchen what am I gonna do?
There`s a rat in me kitchen what am I gonna go?
I`m gonna fix that rat thats what I`m gonna do,
I`m gonna fix that rat.

When you open your mouth you don`t talk, you shout
And you give every body the blame,
But when they catch you up,
They will shut you up
And you got no one to blame

(Chorus)

When you out on the street,
You practice lies and deceipt
And you scandalize my name
But when I catch you up
I`m gonna pull you up
I`m gonna check-out inside your brain

(Chorus)

when yo deh pon the scene,
You make everyone scream
Because they know your so unjust
But when they catch you up
They will kick you up
Because you someone they cannot trust

(Chorus)

You invade my space
Make me feel disgraced
And you just don`t give a damn
If I had my way
If I had my say
I`d like to see you hang

(Chorus)

(Repeat chorus and fade)

Sing it to death!

Old Feb 24th 2005, 7:24 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProofReader

Rat In Mi Kitchen
by UB40
album: The Very Best of UB40 (2000),
The Best of UB40 - Volume One (1987)

(Chorus)

There`s a rat in me kitchen what am I gonna do?
There`s a rat in me kitchen what am I gonna go?
I`m gonna fix that rat thats what I`m gonna do,
I`m gonna fix that rat.

When you open your mouth you don`t talk, you shout
And you give every body the blame,
But when they catch you up,
They will shut you up
And you got no one to blame

(Chorus)

When you out on the street,
You practice lies and deceipt
And you scandalize my name
But when I catch you up
I`m gonna pull you up
I`m gonna check-out inside your brain

(Chorus)

when yo deh pon the scene,
You make everyone scream
Because they know your so unjust
But when they catch you up
They will kick you up
Because you someone they cannot trust

(Chorus)

You invade my space
Make me feel disgraced
And you just don`t give a damn
If I had my way
If I had my say
I`d like to see you hang

(Chorus)

(Repeat chorus and fade)

Sing it to death!

If you had ever heard Dagboy's singing, you would know that isn't an idle threat!!! :scared:
Old Feb 24th 2005, 10:02 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

here in the uk at the moment they are showing a series called life of grime ny - which is set in...erm...new york . in last nights prog they had this guy who took great joy in killing the HUUUUUUUUUGE rats that infested his appartment building where he was the super - he had a plastic baseball bat which he gleefully bashed the living daylights out of the poor animals! his parting shot was chucking lit firecrackers down the hole they used to get in and out - you should have seen the size of the buggers that legged it!

sorry, dont have anything constructive to add.....just pee'd myself laughing at dagboys story and thought of this program!!

sue
ps just did a quick search in the uk and found this ;
http://www.pestcontroldirect.co.uk/a...__TRAPS_8.html
dont you get these in aus??

Last edited by tiredwithtwins; Feb 24th 2005 at 10:07 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2005, 10:11 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

It only actually moved when I picked up our senile incontinent old cat and waved her in the general direction.
Everytime i read this i just get the funniest mental picture and horrific thoughts of Ceri :scared: *shhhhhhh* don't tell her

PS we have an equally crap kitchen with exactly the same fridge freezer, strange that......
Old Feb 25th 2005, 12:55 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: There's a rat in my kitchen - the pics

Captured some pics off the video
rat sniffing bait
trap going off
rat giving me the finger
Attached Thumbnails There's a rat in my kitchen-clip0000.jpg   There's a rat in my kitchen-clip0001.jpg   There's a rat in my kitchen-clip0002.jpg  

Last edited by DagBoy; Feb 25th 2005 at 12:57 am. Reason: add descriptions
Old Feb 25th 2005, 1:32 am
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: There's a rat in my kitchen - the pics

Captured some pics off the video
rat sniffing bait
trap going off
rat giving me the finger
I think the rat has the upper hand in the current proceedings.

It deffo has attitude!!
Old Feb 25th 2005, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

sludger is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Ady Whit
Had a similar problem a while back, got the rat man in. Eventually got rid of it (them). You have to fill all holes, apparently if your thumb can fit through then a rat can! Had many sleepless nights as rats are my phobia! We never ever saw one just the evidence, however the Rat man said if you actually see one then invariably there are lots more.
Try peanut butter on your traps, this is supposed to be a favourite!!!

Good luck and hope your problem soon goes away.
Now I know that a rat can get anywhere you can get your thumb in, I'm definitley sleeping with my underwear on just in case.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 8:15 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Sue, havent seen one of those, interesting! Wonder where I might be able to get one (if they are available)?

Sludger :scared: .

Notice the yellowbox in the pics that Dagboy posted? Thats the box of Ratsack that it just ignores .

Originally Posted by hevs
Everytime i read this i just get the funniest mental picture and horrific thoughts of Ceri :scared: *shhhhhhh* don't tell her

PS we have an equally crap kitchen with exactly the same fridge freezer, strange that......
I was PMSL @ you hevs, shhhhhhhh, or you'll have us both in trouble . And I cant believe that anyone can have as crap a kitchen as us, as Dagboy mentioned, its challenged in the wall department - look!!
Attached Thumbnails There's a rat in my kitchen-stove.jpg   There's a rat in my kitchen-kitchen-sink.jpg  

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Feb 25th 2005 at 8:20 am. Reason: adding pic
Old Feb 25th 2005, 9:13 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy

I was PMSL @ you hevs, shhhhhhhh, or you'll have us both in trouble . And I cant believe that anyone can have as crap a kitchen as us, as Dagboy mentioned, its challenged in the wall department - look!!
OK, we still have walls, but not for long, the kitchen reno is gonna be the next thing on the adgenda. Its 70's very minging yellow pine with mouldy swollen smelly chip board cabinets (i use that c word very loosly) Topped of with one pink shiny formica work bench that looks crowded with 4 plates on it. But i do have nice shiny new appliances which only add to the air of decay
Old Feb 25th 2005, 9:16 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

In the US the pest controller put down little boards covered in a poisonous glue. The rat would get stuck to them and die.

Why not have Red Red Wine instead?
Old Feb 25th 2005, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

sludger is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bondipom
In the US the pest controller put down little boards covered in a poisonous glue. The rat would get stuck to them and die.

Why not have Red Red Wine instead?
READERS TIP

Save money on expensive poisonous glue by using ordinary "NO NAILS" when they get stuck hit them over the head with the cannister, HEY PRESTO no more Rats.

But for my money as long as the RAT IN THE KITCHEN doesn't get in the RED RED WINE what's the problem

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.