Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

There's a rat in my kitchen

There's a rat in my kitchen

Old Feb 24th 2005, 1:05 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down There's a rat in my kitchen

What am I going to do?

Serious question. The "not so native" wildlife at our house includes a rat (maybe several?) that has taken to popping into the kitchen and helping itself to food. The other day an entire loaf of bread went and we though we were going mad until I saw this rat sitting on the fridge trying to bite through the bag of a new loaf a few days later. It seemed tame (or extremely cocky) because it stayed put. It only actually moved when I picked up our senile incontinent old cat and waved her in the general direction.

So, MrsD bought some rat traps and tonight I set one - in the place behind the fridge where it is coming in. I heard some noise later and looked in to see that the bait was gone. I shone my torch along (it is a roof void that is open because our kitchen is a but underequipped in the wall department at the moment) and saw a smug fat rat sitting about 10 feet away eating bait.

New bait, reset trap, put it in place. Wait a few mins then shine torch. There is rat heading towards bait. I rush for video camera and get the rat and trap in good focus (holding torch in other hand so a bit shaky). Nearer, nearer, ......smack!!! the trap is set off. Hooray.

The rat looks a bit peeved at the surprise and takes bait back along void, pausing only to give me a dirty look.

Ah well - maybe I should get a carpet snake? Any better ideas welcomed.

Cheers,

DagBoy

PS. We have named our possum podgy - what should we call the rat?
Old Feb 24th 2005, 1:10 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Default Re: There's a rat in my kitchen

Originally Posted by DagBoy
- what should we call the rat?
Roland

Lol...ah Dagboy...never a dull moment in the Dagboy residence

Old Feb 24th 2005, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

You need to speak to an old infamous aussie legend, called "dynamite Jack" Famous for blowing up bridges and treestumps and the like, on old holden car rallies around the eastern States.

He would fix that rat for you
Old Feb 24th 2005, 3:03 pm
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

my dad always use to bait the rat trap with a pumpkin seed which he wired on with thin wire and then put vanilla essence on the seed so it smelt fab to the little beasty rats/mice.. always always caught the rat then!! It does help to wire the bait on.. the rat has to struggle a bit and usually gets caught!

think that the title of this thread should be sung to:

"There's a hole in my bucket dear liza dear liza"... "there's a rat in my kitchen Mrs D, Mrs D"... ...

Last edited by Brissiegirl; Feb 24th 2005 at 3:07 pm. Reason: added more..
Old Feb 24th 2005, 3:10 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

What am I going to do?

Serious question. The "not so native" wildlife at our house includes a rat (maybe several?) that has taken to popping into the kitchen and helping itself to food. The other day an entire loaf of bread went and we though we were going mad until I saw this rat sitting on the fridge trying to bite through the bag of a new loaf a few days later. It seemed tame (or extremely cocky) because it stayed put. It only actually moved when I picked up our senile incontinent old cat and waved her in the general direction.

So, MrsD bought some rat traps and tonight I set one - in the place behind the fridge where it is coming in. I heard some noise later and looked in to see that the bait was gone. I shone my torch along (it is a roof void that is open because our kitchen is a but underequipped in the wall department at the moment) and saw a smug fat rat sitting about 10 feet away eating bait.

New bait, reset trap, put it in place. Wait a few mins then shine torch. There is rat heading towards bait. I rush for video camera and get the rat and trap in good focus (holding torch in other hand so a bit shaky). Nearer, nearer, ......smack!!! the trap is set off. Hooray.

The rat looks a bit peeved at the surprise and takes bait back along void, pausing only to give me a dirty look.

Cheers,

DagBoy

LOL

Roger - the Doger

Sel x
Old Feb 24th 2005, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Was Reading Berks. Now Palm Beach (summer bay), Sydney NSW
Ady Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really nice

Had a similar problem a while back, got the rat man in. Eventually got rid of it (them). You have to fill all holes, apparently if your thumb can fit through then a rat can! Had many sleepless nights as rats are my phobia! We never ever saw one just the evidence, however the Rat man said if you actually see one then invariably there are lots more.
Try peanut butter on your traps, this is supposed to be a favourite!!!

Good luck and hope your problem soon goes away.
Old Feb 24th 2005, 3:18 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

What am I going to do?

Cheers,

DagBoy

Sorry couldn't help laughing. The rat should definitely be called 'crafty'. Good luck with your hunting.
Sarah
Old Feb 24th 2005, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud of

When we lived in southern Ireland we had the same problem, the rat lived in the wall behind our loo for weeks. He/she came out at night and caused a right racket, knocking things off window ledges etc. We managed to seal off one end of the bungalow so at least we knew we could sleep safely but it was slowly eating the door away.
I had a friend who had a pet rat (who I had grown minimally fond of) so initially I went off looking for a 'humane rat trap'...no joy there, don't think they think much of those ideas in rural Ireland. Anyway the proper rat bait didn't work, the rat just kept storing it behind the loo and the traps never went off.
We had weeks of terror and had to have our baths in a friends house....and as for going to the loo....well it was like a military exercise.....knowing it was only inches away.....
Eventually, the bait made the rat dopey and he cameface to face with my husband in the hall so he had a horrible death, which really upset my husband and after that he was cremated in the Range.....but a while after I met a farmer and when I told him the story, he said there was an easy solution.
You open all the windows and doors of your house and turn on every TV and stereo really loudly and the rats just run out away from the noise!!
I suspect that this might apply to country rats more than city rats as I have seen TV progs that show rats in New York who aren't scared by noise because they here the trains all the time but it may work for the Australian rat as I assume noise pollution is't too much of an issue out there.
Old Feb 24th 2005, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

"What am I gonna do, I'm gonna kill that rat, thats what I'm gonna do, I'm gonna kill that rat boy".

POP QUIZ......................
Old Feb 24th 2005, 5:22 pm
Account Closed

Vinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SuperSeagulls
"What am I gonna do, I'm gonna kill that rat, thats what I'm gonna do, I'm gonna kill that rat boy".

POP QUIZ......................
Think I can help here..my mate Jimmy is great with rats this is what he advise's.
When confronted with rat in confined space stand still, legs apart arms brought into the "carrying a tray " position. Head must flick back and then looking seriously at rat state convincingly " Listen to me you dirty rat", flick head again and shrug sholders at the same time twist neck like excercising rugger player. having transfixed the rat state loudly: "Listin to me you dirty rat, this town aint bigga nuff fur the two of us dya hear me, rat dya hear me?"
pause to shout to you mother "ma, ma, dya see me ma I,m on top of the world, the dirty rat is scared"
At this point reach into inside coat pocket for snub nosed 38 pistol and blast rat with all 6 shots.
having completed this the rat is either dead or has quickly fled in great fear leaving you free to get down on hands and knee's to repair 6 small holes in the floor.
regret I can offer no warranty or validity on these actions.....but jimmy swears by them!
Old Feb 24th 2005, 6:00 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vinny van Gogh
Think I can help here..my mate Jimmy is great with rats this is what he advise's.
When confronted with rat in confined space stand still, legs apart arms brought into the "carrying a tray " position. Head must flick back and then looking seriously at rat state convincingly " Listen to me you dirty rat", flick head again and shrug sholders at the same time twist neck like excercising rugger player. having transfixed the rat state loudly: "Listin to me you dirty rat, this town aint bigga nuff fur the two of us dya hear me, rat dya hear me?"
pause to shout to you mother "ma, ma, dya see me ma I,m on top of the world, the dirty rat is scared"
At this point reach into inside coat pocket for snub nosed 38 pistol and blast rat with all 6 shots.
having completed this the rat is either dead or has quickly fled in great fear leaving you free to get down on hands and knee's to repair 6 small holes in the floor.
regret I can offer no warranty or validity on these actions.....but jimmy swears by them!
You really must get out more That TV in the corner is just not helping
Old Feb 24th 2005, 6:19 pm
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Why does brissiegirl want to sing it to a different tune? Could we not just sing it to the original ub40 song?
Old Feb 24th 2005, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

Foeke Booy is an unknown quantity at this point

Buy some Ratsac from any supermarket. The silly rat will eat it and die a slow and painful death.

Just hope it doesnt die in the walls like one of ours did because the smell stays there for several weeks.
Old Feb 24th 2005, 7:46 pm
wombat42

What am I going to do?

Cheers,

DagBoy

A few years a go l rented a house in country Victoria and it was infested with rats, both inside the house and in the yard. l tried rat traps, but they manged to take the bait wihtout setting off the trap or the traps were set off but there was no rat caught.
l tried poison but it was expensive and rats ended up died underneath the floorboards and other places where it was hard to find the bodies which meant a dreadful smell when the bodies rotted. Also the poison did'nt kill all the rats, about half of them either did'nt eat it because they did'nt like it or were smart enough not to.
Then someone suggested a cat. l went to the RSPCA homeless animal shelter
and asked fo a cat that would be good for catching rats. They said they had a perfect cat for me. It used to be a ferral or wild cat who lived off the countryside hunting animals until it was adopted by a farmer who tamed it but then had to give it up when he moved house. l let it stay inside the house
the first night home and when l got up it the morning there was a small pile of 6 dead rats or what was left of them in the kitchen. The next night l left it outside of there was about 8 dead rats littered around the yard. It probably did'nt kill all the rats there but l think the surviving rats decided to leave my house and go somewhere else as l never saw any more rats after that. l think even if your cat is'nt a good rat catcher having a cat in the house will scare the rats off.

Last edited by wombat42; Feb 24th 2005 at 8:07 pm.

Old Feb 24th 2005, 8:11 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanx for the ideas guys, the Ratsack one would be ok if the bloody thing didnt just push the box to one side on its way to have a meal on our food .

Originally Posted by Ady Whit
You have to fill all holes, apparently if your thumb can fit through then a rat can!
Hmmmmm, fill all the holes. Let me show you my kitchen (yes, those holes in the top third of the pic lead directly to the roof void & that light coloured bit at the top slightly left of centre is the corrogated iron of the roof ).

Until 2 weeks ago we had pigeons nesting & roosting in our kitchen as well :scared: , now that top section is all closed off with bird netting - keeps the pigeons out anyway, if not the rats!
Attached Thumbnails There's a rat in my kitchen-kitchen.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.