Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is there such a thing as a TV Licence out here??

Is there such a thing as a TV Licence out here??

Old May 7th 2004, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

cruisey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is there such a thing as a TV Licence out here??

G'day all,

Wife and I arrived out here a few weeks ago, so far so good!! One thing I'm not sure on is if you need a TV licence like you go in the UK. Judging by the endless adverts every 10 mins, I'd guess not...

C.
Old May 7th 2004, 7:28 am
mick n cheryl

NO!!!!!! Good ey

TV crap though need Austar

Mick

Old May 7th 2004, 7:32 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there such a thing as a TV Licence out here??

Originally posted by cruisey
G'day all,

Wife and I arrived out here a few weeks ago, so far so good!! One thing I'm not sure on is if you need a TV licence like you go in the UK. Judging by the endless adverts every 10 mins, I'd guess not...

C.

No such thing as TV licence, but then TV is utter shite, all yanky stuff and makeover proggies, do as mick says, or remove innards from tv, and shove sum goldfish in it, or some paint and watch it dry ITS MORE FUN !
Old May 7th 2004, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

cruisey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mick n cheryl
NO!!!!!! Good ey

TV crap though need Austar

Mick
Ta. Agreed, it's pants. To be honest, we've been enjoying the outdoors so can't complain.

Been looking at Digital (e.g. FoxTel). Does it just work through your normal aerial, or do you need cable????
Old May 7th 2004, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Timber Floor Au
...... remove innards from tv, and shove sum goldfish in it....
One of the tv stations here in Melbourne has saved you the trouble.

I think the station is called RTV (it's not maintstream - doesn't even appear in tv guides) and shows a fishtank in the mornings. It's timeslot competes with the pre 9am morning shows.

When flicking thru' the channels looking for something decent to watch you wouldn't believe the fishtank actually looks pretty good compared to the other crap.

(They also show 'Bonanza' after 9am )
Old May 7th 2004, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

jasper pentop is an unknown quantity at this point

Funny isnt it - I suppose its what you are used to.

But as an Aussie living in UK I cant believe how bad the tv was - the constant soaps, the omnibuses, the reality tv (for goodness sake who comes up with these things - shattered beinga prime example) - and the REPEATS! I once watched Harry Hill's tv burps three times in one weekend - and we only have the five channels. And whats the deal with friends being on constantly five hundred times a day?!?! ha

I will give you though, that summer TV in oz is horrific - nothing but sport. But then again, Australia doesnt show hours and hours and hours of snooker (what mind blowing excitement that is!!). Could they think of a more boring sport to put on during school holidays and peak hour tv?

It is just what you are used to guys So maybe, just maybe, you will get used to the Aussie stuff
Old May 7th 2004, 9:51 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by young_lad
One of the tv stations here in Melbourne has saved you the trouble.

I think the station is called RTV (it's not maintstream - doesn't even appear in tv guides) and shows a fishtank in the mornings. It's timeslot competes with the pre 9am morning shows.

When flicking thru' the channels looking for something decent to watch you wouldn't believe the fishtank actually looks pretty good compared to the other crap.

(They also show 'Bonanza' after 9am )

I loved BONANZA !!!
Old May 7th 2004, 9:52 am
Banned

Originally posted by cruisey
Ta. Agreed, it's pants. To be honest, we've been enjoying the outdoors so can't complain.

Been looking at Digital (e.g. FoxTel). Does it just work through your normal aerial, or do you need cable????

Had foxtel rep round house in brissy, he was touching base < as he said, i got impression its cable tv
Old May 7th 2004, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

I loved BONANZA !!!
Yeah me too - I put that in to make sure my post was balanced.
Old May 7th 2004, 9:59 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Don't suppose they have Skippy to ??
Old May 7th 2004, 10:01 am
Banned

Originally posted by young_lad
Yeah me too - I put that in to make sure my post was balanced.

what was the old mans name was it Lorne Green??? the actor pmsl i mean < always makes me laff that name
Old May 7th 2004, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

what was the old mans name was it Lorne Green??? the actor pmsl i mean < always makes me laff that name
That's him - aka Commander Adama