Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is there something I'm missing?........

Is there something I'm missing?........

Old Aug 29th 2005, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to all
Default Re: Is there something I'm missing?........

Originally Posted by Bix da Boss
Hi Lynn
There are a few things I wish we had done in the last few weeks.

Made the time to see my Mum and Sister more, always TOO busy, regret that now!!
If you are able to CLEAR and CANCEL any credit cards you may have before leaving do so - pain in the ... waiting for the statements to come thru (if no on-line a/c)!!! We got done $60 for 'late' payments cause of the post! So, set up those on-line facilities if poss so you can pay it direct from your bank account or whatever!!

Keep a UK bank account open - cld come in handy till you get sorted in OZ, we have found it so anyway.

"I agree, better to wait till you get here re renting a house - unless you are lucky enough to have someone check them out for you! You really need to be aware of the area surrounding the house - varies just like in the UK.
If your 'stuff' is not going to arrive for a while - try and stay in a 'fully furnished' apartment or something. After just emigrating, it is VERY hard to do without all those 'home comforts' as we found out! Expecially if you have kids! Need to keep them occupied to help them settle into their new life.

Good luck
Take care
Gill
'

Do you think it would work if when we sell and move out of our house and have the journey of the furniture start then,holiday rent from here for a few weeks and then holiday rent out there during which time we hopefully will find a rental during our first couple of weeks?
If we did that,can the furniture be stored if necessary,in Perth untill rental found?
Lynn
Old Aug 29th 2005, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to all

Originally Posted by J+J
Hi
"My regret is not putting the house on the market sooner". We came out still having to pay the mortgage back in the UK and rent over here. (ouch!)
We sent our belongings a good 4 weeks before we left and just borrowed from friends and family. We thought it would be better to struggle in the UK rather than struggling in a country where we knew no one. It worked well for us.
We stayed with Destination Brisbane when we got here that offer a meet and greet service and fully furnished house. If you are aiming to be in the south side of Brissie there house is located in the Birkdale area which we found to be in a good location for looking around.
Hope this helps
Joe

How long prior to moving,did you put your house up for sale?
It will be simpler for us because we will have to pay for our flights etc.when house money is in the bank...so will have to sell before we come...getting a bit skint Lynn
Old Aug 29th 2005, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kangablue
Hi Lynn,

You may want to consider the Inland Revenue. It seems to be policy that when you leave the country and have been paying at a high tax bracket that they want you to a Self Assessment (if you have not done so before) for each year you have been paying tax at that level. It's a bit of a nightmare doing this from Australia (if they can contact you) and going back several years of your accounts. It may be best to deal with this before you leave and anyway you may entitled to a tax refund.

Good point.
I'm self-employed as a stylist,so they have had self-assessment forms off me for the past 5 years,my worry would be to find that i haven't paid enough,although i do have an accountant who does my books for me,(bit bamboozling for me)so hopefully she should wind it all up for me before we go.
Can I ask though,how long before we plan to leave,should i ask her to wind it all up?How long does it takes to tie up the ends approx?
Lynn
Old Aug 29th 2005, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lynnbrooks
Hi Loopy,thanx for the info but could you tell me more about the power of attorney stuff please?
Lynn

Taken from the bbc website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/onelife/...attorney.shtml

A Power of Attorney is a relatively simple document by which you give another person authority to act on your behalf and to sign documents, such as cheques, in exactly the same way as if you were doing it yourself. It is used in situations where someone will not be available or is unable to undertake their own affairs and wants someone else to do it for them. Going aboard for a time and wanting your parents to look after your affairs is a classic example.

The 'grantor' - the person making the appointment - has the right to give the attorney as much or as little power as he or she thinks necessary. So you can grant someone a general power of attorney giving them the right in effect to do everything that you can do in law or a limited power which authorises them to do only certain things on your behalf.

You can appoint any competent adult to be your attorney. The most important thing to remember is that they must be someone you trust such as a family member who is willing to do the job for you. There is no restriction on the number of people you can appoint and it can be sensible to appoint two on an either/or basis. This way, if the first named attorney is not available - perhaps they are ill or away - the second can act for you.

Granting someone power of attorney takes nothing away from your own right to deal with your own money. It merely gives similar rights to another person. Your attorney will bind you by his or her actions, and must give you full details of all he or she does for you. And you can withdraw the power at any time in writing.

Making a power of attorney is a simple and inexpensive process, which can be completed very quickly. I would contact two or three solicitors in your area, ask them what they would charge and compare costs. It is likely to be in the region of £50-£150 depending on how straightforward your wishes are.

For us it meant my F-I-L could tie up the ends of the house sale, have dealings with our banks for us etc. You've just got to pick someone you trust absolutley!

Loopy
Old Aug 29th 2005, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Loopy
Taken from the bbc website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/onelife/...attorney.shtml

A Power of Attorney is a relatively simple document by which you give another person authority to act on your behalf and to sign documents, such as cheques, in exactly the same way as if you were doing it yourself. It is used in situations where someone will not be available or is unable to undertake their own affairs and wants someone else to do it for them. Going aboard for a time and wanting your parents to look after your affairs is a classic example.

The 'grantor' - the person making the appointment - has the right to give the attorney as much or as little power as he or she thinks necessary. So you can grant someone a general power of attorney giving them the right in effect to do everything that you can do in law or a limited power which authorises them to do only certain things on your behalf.

You can appoint any competent adult to be your attorney. The most important thing to remember is that they must be someone you trust such as a family member who is willing to do the job for you. There is no restriction on the number of people you can appoint and it can be sensible to appoint two on an either/or basis. This way, if the first named attorney is not available - perhaps they are ill or away - the second can act for you.

Granting someone power of attorney takes nothing away from your own right to deal with your own money. It merely gives similar rights to another person. Your attorney will bind you by his or her actions, and must give you full details of all he or she does for you. And you can withdraw the power at any time in writing.

Making a power of attorney is a simple and inexpensive process, which can be completed very quickly. I would contact two or three solicitors in your area, ask them what they would charge and compare costs. It is likely to be in the region of £50-£150 depending on how straightforward your wishes are.

For us it meant my F-I-L could tie up the ends of the house sale, have dealings with our banks for us etc. You've just got to pick someone you trust absolutley!

Loopy
"

thanx for that,I'll bear this in mind.
We were considering doing a will also,in the freak event that bot of us are killed etc.which isn't impossible when you consider a car crash etc., wouldn't want nothing in place to take care of the kids...
Lynn
Old Aug 30th 2005, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

Kangablue is an unknown quantity at this point

Good point.
I'm self-employed as a stylist,so they have had self-assessment forms off me for the past 5 years,my worry would be to find that i haven't paid enough,although i do have an accountant who does my books for me,(bit bamboozling for me)so hopefully she should wind it all up for me before we go.
Can I ask though,how long before we plan to leave,should i ask her to wind it all up?How long does it takes to tie up the ends approx?
Lynn
Hi Lynn,

I would check asap that your will not be liable for self-assessment for years previous to the current one. The current one can probably be tied-up before you depart.

I was salaried and had never had any dealing with tax and self-assessment before (my employer handled that). I told them a week before I left I was emigrating. Everything seemed fine and I left them with a relative's address. Some months later, they received a Self-Assessment for me. I presumed it was for the previous year (as I had been travelling in Australia for 10 months and didn't work). I did it online and thought that was the end of the story.

I then received a penalty notice for late Self Assessment submission for the year previous to the one I had dealt with. I phoned them and they told me that I had to do Self-Assessment for the previous 4 years as I had been paying the higher tax rate.

I guess they want to net any interest on savings that your bank would be paying tax at standard rate and such like. Seems strange that it only concerns them when you decide to leave the country! Anyway, it isn't always bad news; they in fact owed me quite a bit of money as I had been paying too much tax.

However, it was a bit of a hassle dealing with this from Australia - contacting my old employer etc.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

aussiesoon will become famous soon enough

Hi Lynn,
We've been out here 5 months now. Personally I'm glad that we kept our UK credit card, although, even though we told the bank that we were going to Oz, when we tried to use the card, they stopped the transaction until we contacted them from here.
We had a few problems with winding up utility bills. We informed all companies 6 weeks prior to going of a temp Aus address. Unfortunately only 2 companies took note of this (well done Direct Line and Anglian Water!!) and the rest carried on sending bills to our old address, even though we had given them final meter readings. The new people at our address did not forward any post (despite leaving them prepaid envelopes and their assurances that they would) and we have had a few very late bills and collection agency notifications that have now arrived in Oz. The main problem with this is that every utility company uses 0845 numbers and these (usually) do not work from Oz.
If you do have someone in the UK who can have power of attorney, this would seem like a good idea. Otherwise make sure that you have an overseas contact number for all utilities, bank account and tax office.
We kept a bank account open in the UK so that we could either write cheques or transfer money for the final accounts.
Also if you are going to rent in Oz, ask your estate agent in the UK to provide you with a letter outlining the state of the house and garden and the selling price. This may be needed as a reference for renting in Oz (we also paid 6 months rent in advance as we had no previous rental history here).

Hope this helps,
Rachel.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 12:38 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
In answer to your other question I wouldn't book a rental house before you arrive - IMO would be better to check areas out when you get there - you could end up in a rough part of town or with awful neighbours.
Definitely agree with that. We looked at loads of rentals on the net that when we saw in real life, looked nothing like. We've got a nice place now that's not too expensive

We sold our house when the market was at it's peak (as far as we know) and lived with the in-laws for a while. It wasn't great but at least we weren't panicking about selling at the last minute.

If you can send your stuff on ahead, do so! Our stuff left the UK a couple of weeks before us and I wish we'd done it sooner. We've been here 5 weeks now in an almost empty house! We've bought so second hand stuff to make do (including a bar ) but really can't wait for our stuff now. It should be about 3 weeks away, hopefully no more.

Make sure you thoroughly research the job market using something like Seek. Have a look at the career resources and make sure your CV and cover letter template are up to Aussie standard. And don't forget to re-write it to match every job you go far, rather than sending out the same one each time.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

'

Do you think it would work if when we sell and move out of our house and have the journey of the furniture start then,holiday rent from here for a few weeks and then holiday rent out there during which time we hopefully will find a rental during our first couple of weeks?
If we did that,can the furniture be stored if necessary,in Perth untill rental found?
Lynn
Hello Lynn

My opinion - do not worry about having to live somewhere else for a few weeks/months before emigrating, it is FAR better to have SOLD your house before leaving than still having that worry when you reach OZ like we have!!

Yes, rent a fully furnished apartment for a few weeks on arriving, look for a rental home in the areas you are interested in. it is important to look properly as with most rentals you have to sign up for 6 months and thats a long time to live somewhere you dont like! If the hse has a pool and garden, find out who is responsible for the maintenance of both, as it all add to the weekly outgoings.

I am almost sure if your stuff arrives before you are 'sorted', then you would be able to store it - probably at a cost though. Hardly anyone is furtunate enough to have their belongings arrive the same time as them, so there must be facilities out there for storage. Actually, one of our friends in Cairns had to have their stuff stored because they were waiting for their house to be finished, the used Allied Pickfords as did we. Some removal companies do charge extra and some dont, you will have to find this out when booking, it is usually covered in the 'small print' - but ask.

Hope this answers your questions Lynn

Take care
Gill
Old Aug 30th 2005, 1:12 am
Grumpy Old Woman!!

Moody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the rough

Hello Lynn

My opinion - do not worry about having to live somewhere else for a few weeks/months before emigrating, it is FAR better to have SOLD your house before leaving than still having that worry when you reach OZ like we have!!

Yes, rent a fully furnished apartment for a few weeks on arriving, look for a rental home in the areas you are interested in. it is important to look properly as with most rentals you have to sign up for 6 months and thats a long time to live somewhere you dont like! If the hse has a pool and garden, find out who is responsible for the maintenance of both, as it all add to the weekly outgoings.

I am almost sure if your stuff arrives before you are 'sorted', then you would be able to store it - probably at a cost though. Hardly anyone is furtunate enough to have their belongings arrive the same time as them, so there must be facilities out there for storage. Actually, one of our friends in Cairns had to have their stuff stored because they were waiting for their house to be finished, the used Allied Pickfords as did we. Some removal companies do charge extra and some dont, you will have to find this out when booking, it is usually covered in the 'small print' - but ask.

Take care
Gill
Or alternatively, you can rent one of those storage units that look like lock up garages for your stuff. There's one here in Perth called Koala, don't know if they are national though. (Their latest advertising slogan is "Want a bigger chest?" - gotta love aussie humour!)

MC
Old Aug 30th 2005, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aussiesoon
Hi Lynn,
We've been out here 5 months now. Personally I'm glad that we kept our UK credit card, although, even though we told the bank that we were going to Oz, when we tried to use the card, they stopped the transaction until we contacted them from here.
We had a few problems with winding up utility bills. We informed all companies 6 weeks prior to going of a temp Aus address. Unfortunately only 2 companies took note of this (well done Direct Line and Anglian Water!!) and the rest carried on sending bills to our old address, even though we had given them final meter readings. The new people at our address did not forward any post (despite leaving them prepaid envelopes and their assurances that they would) and we have had a few very late bills and collection agency notifications that have now arrived in Oz. The main problem with this is that every utility company uses 0845 numbers and these (usually) do not work from Oz.
If you do have someone in the UK who can have power of attorney, this would seem like a good idea. Otherwise make sure that you have an overseas contact number for all utilities, bank account and tax office.
We kept a bank account open in the UK so that we could either write cheques or transfer money for the final accounts.
Also if you are going to rent in Oz, ask your estate agent in the UK to provide you with a letter outlining the state of the house and garden and the selling price. This may be needed as a reference for renting in Oz (we also paid 6 months rent in advance as we had no previous rental history here).

Hope this helps,
Rachel.
"

Thanx for the info.
We are hoping to sell,move out,send furniture off to oz,then plan and book flights etc. for possibly 5-6 weeks later,I'm hoping that during this time of being in the u.k., we can tie up all the utility bills.
A lot of ours are direct debit,so i guess these would be just a case for cancelling or am i being too optimistic?
Lynn
Old Aug 30th 2005, 7:22 am
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute

The more you prepare the easier it will be when you move ... honest.

one thing to be aware of, moving your pension. Wish I had started as soon as I moved here and not waited.. Its taken over 6 months now to move.. meaning I am going to get taxed on bringing money into the country.. very annoying

best wishes and good luck

Shane
Old Aug 30th 2005, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Hello Lynn

Take care
Gill
"

thanx for that,I'm becoming increasingly how much there is to think about,it would be very easy for it all to overwhelm me,...one of my stresses is all the tieying-up of peperwork at this end.Bills,taxes,all legal stuff,because i'm not good with this stuff.Give me booking flights,organising shipping anyday, anything practical but paperwork...urg!
Lynn
Old Aug 30th 2005, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sloake
The more you prepare the easier it will be when you move ... honest.

one thing to be aware of, moving your pension. Wish I had started as soon as I moved here and not waited.. Its taken over 6 months now to move.. meaning I am going to get taxed on bringing money into the country.. very annoying

best wishes and good luck

Shane
"

Is this your state retirement pension that your N.I. contributions have paid into?
If so,please tell me about it as I have had trouble finding any info on it so far...Lynn
Old Aug 30th 2005, 7:30 am
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute

"

Is this your state retirement pension that your N.I. contributions have paid into?
If so,please tell me about it as I have had trouble finding any info on it so far...Lynn
not sure about the state pension (i hadnt even thought about that) but your work pension,

I would see a Financial Advisor as soon as you get here, to see what you can do.

Shane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.