British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Is there a Primark or equivalent in Oz? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/there-primark-equivalent-oz-488653/)

crocodileseamus Oct 21st 2007 3:27 pm

Is there a Primark or equivalent in Oz?

Hi folks,

was wondering if there was a Primark or equivalent in Oz?

As I have 4 kids I find their clothes brilliant and you don't mind if they wreck them, you just go and buy more cos they are so cheap

We hope to go to Victoria, Mornington Peninsula area next summer 2008.

Thank you for your time,

Crocodileseamus:):rofl::)

Tiawamutu Oct 21st 2007 4:05 pm

Re: Is there a Primark or equivalent in Oz?

Originally Posted by crocodileseamus (Post 5450310)
Hi folks,

As I have 4 kids I find their clothes brilliant and you don't mind if they wreck them, you just go and buy more cos they are so cheap

Thank you for your time,

Big W, Target, and K mart are all reasonably priced shops for clothes in general.

There may be cheaper but I couldn't really comment as I haven't looked for kids clothes yet :)

Jasonmb Oct 21st 2007 4:28 pm

Hi folks,

Thank you for your time,

I hope so, they have cheap trendy stuff not just for kids but me too:thumbsup: Summer stuff, lasts the summer, sometimes longer, but for what it costs that is fine. Can now bin summer stuff and have an excuse to go and buy winter stuff:thumbsup:

Tracy - Jason's OH

mad city fan Oct 21st 2007 7:57 pm

Hi folks,

Thank you for your time,

I hope so to, Primarni just love it :thumbsup:

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer Oct 21st 2007 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Jasonmb (Post 5450455)
I hope so, they have cheap trendy stuff not just for kids but me too:thumbsup: Summer stuff, lasts the summer, sometimes longer, but for what it costs that is fine. Can now bin summer stuff and have an excuse to go and buy winter stuff:thumbsup:

Tracy - Jason's OH

Wouldn't worry about looking 'trendy' out here.....no-one else seems to bother! :rofl:

Stitch Oct 21st 2007 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer (Post 5451177)
Wouldn't worry about looking 'trendy' out here.....no-one else seems to bother! :rofl:

PJ's seems to be the clothing here!:ohmy:

Cheers

Ginny

Jasonmb Oct 21st 2007 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Stitch (Post 5451206)
PJ's seems to be the clothing here!:ohmy:

Cheers

Ginny

Hope Jason doesn't read this thread - he is already having a go at me to cull my wardrobe, before we arrive:eek:

Possums Oct 21st 2007 9:28 pm

Hi folks,

Thank you for your time,

No there isnt stock up before you come.

bcworld Oct 21st 2007 9:39 pm

....there are cheap shops, Lowes and Best&Less spring to mind - but the stuff they sell is seriously nasty, not in any way equivalent to Primark.

chris and farideh Oct 21st 2007 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 5451444)
....there are cheap shops, Lowes and Best&Less spring to mind - but the stuff they sell is seriously nasty, not in any way equivalent to Primark.

Totally agree with bcworld, you can find cheap but decent from any of those shops mention, I think most things are starts from $20, & it does adds up, so stock up well.
but once you are living here, does it matter, you have to get use to the prices, & IMO it doesnt shock you as much, maybe just a little. ;)

annb Oct 22nd 2007 2:14 pm

no no and NO, there is nothing remotely like a Primark over here, its tragic!!! If only Primark would see sense and open up over here. Yes others might tell you there are cheap shops like Best and Less ...but they are not even remotely like Primark!! I just got some fab tshirts my mum sent me from Primark that cost 1 pound each!! 1 pound you cannot even leave things on the shelves for that price...and dont even get me started on how cheap the kids clothes are. Best and Less mostly sell nasty looking kids clothes that fall apart or look washed out after 2 or 3 wears
STock up on your Primark and make sure you have someone in the UK to send you more!!
Sorry for rambling!!!

Mr Anderson Oct 22nd 2007 2:30 pm

Hi folks,

Thank you for your time,

not as cheap as primark which is ridiculously cheap but K-mart is pretty good. We have one here and the missus is a big up top and a size 10 and found lots of great tops pretty cheap. Good t-shirts and shirtsd for me too.

Target is more expensive and in my opinion is far poorer quality than k-mart.

There are plenty of terendy young shops iif you look for them. We live in the middle of nowhere and still find bargains. Thats the fun.

killamarsh Oct 22nd 2007 5:47 pm

Problem is - with Primark - you don't walk in hoping you will land a bargain - you expect it.

ontheup Oct 22nd 2007 8:00 pm

we spent almost £700 in rimark ready for the off, had to stock up and make it last... woman at the counter almost had a fit when she saw all the baskets. Kids looked like elves loading santas sleigh:rofl: then again there is a few of us in the family.

moocow Oct 23rd 2007 10:33 am

in Aus you will find that people dp want a person to be paid a fair days rate for a fair days work. been part of the culture for many years and until recently you could buy a lot of australian made stuff.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...007146,00.html