Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is there an Oz equivalent to Brighton, UK?

Is there an Oz equivalent to Brighton, UK?

Old Jul 16th 2011, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

BritDude is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is there an Oz equivalent to Brighton, UK?

Hey folks,

I'm just starting to seriously look into my move to Oz. My job is on the critical skills list and I've seen lots of vacancies but I'm not sure where to go as i'm completely flexible where I move but am hoping to find somewhere 'gay-friendly' but ideally not in a huge city?

Does such a place exist over there and is there anywhere I should avoid?

Thanks very much
Old Jul 16th 2011, 2:58 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there an Oz equivalent to Brighton, UK?

Originally Posted by BritDude
Hey folks,

I'm just starting to seriously look into my move to Oz. My job is on the critical skills list and I've seen lots of vacancies but I'm not sure where to go as i'm completely flexible where I move but am hoping to find somewhere 'gay-friendly' but ideally not in a huge city?

Does such a place exist over there and is there anywhere I should avoid?

Thanks very much
Gay friendly? Brisbane all the way, without a doubt.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 7:59 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Well thats a new one on me!!! "Gay friendly?" Is it a bit like "dog friendly"? I'm not sure you'll find anywhere with any signs that say you are allowed off your leash on the beach?

Sorry - I'll be serious now. In my experience (and I'm not gay but have many friends and acquaintances who are or might be) you will find "friendly" and "unfriendly" attitudes everywhere you go here, but I'm not sure you will find a Piccadilly Village type atmosphere anywhere other than the big cities. (I'm sure someone will correct me). I think your quality of life in terms of your social scene will probably be more to do with the friends you choose and the circles you mix in rather than the place you live. Just stay away from towns where the only social scene revolves around the RSL or the Bowlo!

Look at places that are within an hour or so of the big cities, like Newcastle, Wollongong, Gold Coast etc and I'm sure you'll be fine. Also towns with an art, food, wine, theatrical reputation tend to have a larger gay community. I only really know NSW but places like Orange and the Blue Mountains are such places.

Good Luck wherever you decide on - its a big decision! How exciting!
Old Jul 16th 2011, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

my two close mates came to stay with us in Melbourne and found it pretty gay friendly- especially around Prahan (market) where rainbow stickers abound and there are drag bars by the tonne.

However my mates are in their 40s and are certainly not 'scene'....so they think (from their 4-5 visits to us in Melb) that the gay scene is not huge in Melbourne, but could be they just were not looking too hard.
They did find a few gay listings mags so there seems to be a a fair amount of entertainment available.

OK Melbourne is a biggish city but it doesnt feel like it!
Old Jul 16th 2011, 11:37 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Sydney, without a doubt. It's not actually that big a city. Newtown, Erskineville - quite villagey really but close to the city too - Surry Hills...

Our apartment complex in Alexandria is incredibly gay; can predict my GBF will be spending a lot of time at our pool next Summer GBF and a lot of his friends live in Darlington, which is walking distance to Newtown and the CBD. My younger and more out there gay boyfriends live in Surry Hills. Lesbian friends - well, all over really. It's easy to be scene or non-scene but to live your life how you want to.

Just checked on cityhobo and you can search for Gay-friendly suburbs: http://www.cityhobo.com/index.php?op...arch&Itemid=26
Old Jul 16th 2011, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Mainly what Pomster said!

I used to live in Brighton and haven't been anywhere yet over here which is as quiet as open but I'm sure those suburbs exist.

Mel although a big city doesn't really have that big city feel, more like a big town - a little like Brighton. There are a couple of areas like St Kilda and Brunswick Street which reminds me of the North Lanes area of Brighton, it's very much cafe society here and on the whole people are very friendly.

The CBD is quite small and compact although it can get a bit "lively" on a Sat night.

It's quite an arty town, lots of creative people here, photographers, artists, designers as there are in Sydney.

Sydney is the home of Pride so I guess there must be gay friendly suburbs there, most people I know seem to live around Bondi and the southern beaches areas. Just seen Seasiders posts so lots of info there on Sydney.

I'm sure you'd be fine in the cities even though you say you don't want city but there are some outer suburbs which are nice in all places but maybe you'd want to avoid country towns as probably they can be a little old fashioned in more ways than one!

Good luck!
Old Jul 17th 2011, 12:55 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

How about places like Boyland, Burrambuttock, Chinaman's Knob, Cock Wash, Rooty Hill and Wongawilli.... perhaps you should give Tittybong a miss though.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

Daylesford, about 90 mins outside Melbourne hosts ChillOut each year, which is 'the largest celebration of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender pride in rural and regional Australia.'

Nice town and area, not entirely sure how much work there would be or whether it would be too small for you.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 2:09 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Blue Mountains (NW of Sydney) are quite gay-friendly, too. Any of you up there confirm or deny that?

I guess you need to look at where you will get work, and go from there. Oh and get a visa
Old Jul 17th 2011, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Flixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to all

[QUOTE=ponyrama;9499534]Well thats a new one on me!!! "Gay friendly?" Is it a bit like "dog friendly"? I'm not sure you'll find anywhere with any signs that say you are allowed off your leash on the beach?

Sorry I can't help with the OP's question, but I had to laugh when we were looking for accommodation before we came out here, lots of the hotels said 'Child friendly' 'Dogs allowed' etc and yes 'Gay friendly'!!!
Old Jul 17th 2011, 2:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Northcote in Melbourne could be up your alley
Old Jul 17th 2011, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

Sea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to all

I think the worst thing you can do is compare an Australian town with a UK town. Its only going to lead to dissapointment when you get there they aren't anything like you expect. So no there probably isn't anywhere like Brighton in Australia.

It would all really depend if you want to be part of a gay scene or just be accepted as a gay person. As a gay person you would pretty much be accepted by most people as part of the community even in the more 'red-neck(ish)' country towns.

However, if you want to be part of a gay 'scene' your best bet would be to move to inner city parts of Melbourne or Sydney. In sydney, suburbs like Surry Hills, Darlinghurst, Glebe, Newtown, Paddington, Randwick etc would all be suitable.

Outside of the cities will pretty much be all the same, as I said before accepting but not gay focused. Maybe around the Blue Mountains NSW, Southern highlands NSW or Byron Bay NSW would be a few good places to start?

Last edited by Sea Of Love; Jul 17th 2011 at 2:31 am.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 4:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Male Gay cousin and partner live in South Yarra, given the size of the Xmas party they had I assumed melbourne was doing just fine on the gay scene.

Were just north of brisbane on the coast and have 2 gay households in our street, 2 guys and one house used to have 3 ladies. No real scene, they just blend in, nobody seems to care. However for the brighton lanes type scene I think Sydney has more obvious areas/clubs.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 4:40 am
My hovercraft is full of

Ballys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to behold

Mount Isa.........perhaps not
Old Jul 17th 2011, 4:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Male Gay cousin and partner live in South Yarra, given the size of the Xmas party they had I assumed melbourne was doing just fine on the gay scene.

Were just north of brisbane on the coast and have 2 gay households in our street, 2 guys and one house used to have 3 ladies. No real scene, they just blend in, nobody seems to care. However for the brighton lanes type scene I think Sydney has more obvious areas/clubs.
In Black Rock, Melbourne there is a lesbian household - rather timid and retiring... when it comes to motoring. I parked up near their house and my bonnet protuded 3 inches in to their driveway - they came knocking on the door asking me to move it so they could get their car out..

There's gay people everywhere - but I suppose scenes need cities..moreorless...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.