Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is there a Doctor in the House?

Is there a Doctor in the House?

Old Jul 22nd 2003, 4:05 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is there a Doctor in the House?

I understand the refugee list is full of Brickies / Hairdressers etc but could you tempt the odd doctor to Australia it seems quite a few are jacking it in.

'One in six' doctors quit

AMA representative Robert Bain told the inquiry that red tape and the fall in the real value of the Medicare rebate were responsible for the declining participation rate of doctors.

Dr Bain said doctors' morale was lowest in outer-suburban areas, not country towns.

He said doctors were swamped by patients in many outer-suburban practices and sometimes shut their waiting room doors at noon.

http://www.thewest.com.au/20030722/n...sto105923.html

Old Jul 22nd 2003, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is there a Doctor in the House?

Originally posted by pommie bastard
I understand the refugee list is full of Brickies / Hairdressers etc but could you tempt the odd doctor to Australia it seems quite a few are jacking it in.

'One in six' doctors quit

AMA representative Robert Bain told the inquiry that red tape and the fall in the real value of the Medicare rebate were responsible for the declining participation rate of doctors.

Dr Bain said doctors' morale was lowest in outer-suburban areas, not country towns.

He said doctors were swamped by patients in many outer-suburban practices and sometimes shut their waiting room doors at noon.

http://www.thewest.com.au/20030722/n...sto105923.html

The sewing fingers back on students business is not what it used to be. In the old days, it was a leg off and that brought in more money.

I don't blame these doctors, except when I need them they will be on a website operated from the USA only and I will have to webcam my symptoms to them. Some of the future unemployed (including Kiwipaul, the government funded vampire) will make good travelling quack doctors though, so perhaps Oz healthcare will not decline that much from what I experience.
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 4:27 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Wilf
The sewing fingers back on students business is not what it used to be. In the old days, it was a leg off and that brought in more money.

I don't blame these doctors, except when I need them they will be on a website operated from the USA only and I will have to webcam my symptoms to them. Some of the future unemployed (including Kiwipaul, the government funded vampire) will make good travelling quack doctors though, so perhaps Oz healthcare will not decline that much from what I experience.
To be honest I think the stress of running their own Vineyards and turning up to sort out the rabble is a strain so bugger the unclean.

Old Jul 22nd 2003, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pommie bastard
To be honest I think the stress of running their own Vineyards and turning up to sort out the rabble is a strain so bugger the unclean.

Like the vineyard crack - very true.

Yes, I think that when they see what they are up against, it does not remind them of the days at medical school in sydney (especially in the rural practices) and must be a depressing prospect for them. Trouble is, Oz is losing all its highly educated and replacing them with people doing things that you can learn in a year or two of on the job work. The day will dawn when all these cashed up poms will not have a doctor to buy to patch them up and then what? They will have to muck in with the rest of us and will have fond memories of the NHS. Ah well, they know best from the brochure reading and why would an ozzie lie about how good the country is?