Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Be there before xmas,so many questions?!?!?

Be there before xmas,so many questions?!?!?

Old Sep 22nd 2006, 5:11 pm
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Be there before xmas,so many questions?!?!?

Hi All,
I was wondering about a couple of things as we're heading to the Gold Coast and as a lot of you are there already can you answer these questions.

1) We have opened a migrant account with Commonwealth Bank.Are they reputable or is there a better bank to join once we get there as i see there can be charges for withdrawals.

2) How long does it take on average to buy new furniture(Beds+Suites) and get them delivered as ive come across a few furniture rental companies and was thinking of using one until we can get stuff delivered and our other stuff arrives in transit.

3) Is there decent clothes shops and hairdressers on a par with good UK ones?

Cheers

Brido
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 12:08 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Be there before xmas,so many questions?!?!?

1. Dont open a con your wealth account. Its a waste of time since you'd be mad not to close it and open an account elsewhere when you arrive anyway. You can open an account the same day when walking in. If you feel the need to open an account beforehand then consider National Bank, ANZ or others. Many here will mention HSBC which is OK providing you never ever have to go to a branch, which of course most people end up doing for various reasons when they first move (bankers cheques etc).

2. Depends where you are moving to. East coast will generally have faster delivery times and if its in stock can have it in a couple of days usually. Freedom is a good store (think habitat kinda) and they will deliver within a couple of days usually most items. Its certainly better than the UK system. Sometimes the west coast (Perth) has longer delays as some times may have to be shipped from the East. Basically depends what you need. If its made to order then of course a delay but stock items are fine. Worst comes to the worst you could always go to IKEA or SuperAmart and take it away then and there.

3. Ever a favorite on this forum and a source of amusement for me personally. Yes there are decent clothes shops. You will hear people on here rant that its not like M&S or Next. Mainly because they are shopping in Target or Kmart. Go shop in David Jones or Myer for example and you can have decent quality and pay decent prices too. Hairdressers - oddly I was commenting to my wife yesterday that our town has now 4 hairdressers on the main road. when you consider that there are 30 shops tops thats quite a few. Shes happy with them but like anywhere it may take a while for you to get to like one in particular that suits you and your happy with.

Gluck with the move.
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 10:24 am
Hilton`s

Hilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to all

Originally Posted by brido
Hi All,
I was wondering about a couple of things as we're heading to the Gold Coast and as a lot of you are there already can you answer these questions.

1) We have opened a migrant account with Commonwealth Bank.Are they reputable or is there a better bank to join once we get there as i see there can be charges for withdrawals.

2) How long does it take on average to buy new furniture(Beds+Suites) and get them delivered as ive come across a few furniture rental companies and was thinking of using one until we can get stuff delivered and our other stuff arrives in transit.

3) Is there decent clothes shops and hairdressers on a par with good UK ones?

Cheers

Brido
I pretty much agree with all of the above although we are with the Commonwealth Bank.

I have an english lady who comes to cut my hair, she is very reasonable and not scissor happy. She gets her hair cut at a local hairdressers and is happy with it, so you will definitely find a decent hairdresser here.

As for clothes, I personally haven`t had a problem buying clothes that I like and think that you just have to shop around to get what you like.

Where abouts on the Gold Coast are you heading?

Tracey x
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 11:27 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
1. Dont open a con your wealth account. Its a waste of time since you'd be mad not to close it and open an account elsewhere when you arrive anyway. You can open an account the same day when walking in. If you feel the need to open an account beforehand then consider National Bank, ANZ or others. Many here will mention HSBC which is OK providing you never ever have to go to a branch, which of course most people end up doing for various reasons when they first move (bankers cheques etc).

2. Depends where you are moving to. East coast will generally have faster delivery times and if its in stock can have it in a couple of days usually. Freedom is a good store (think habitat kinda) and they will deliver within a couple of days usually most items. Its certainly better than the UK system. Sometimes the west coast (Perth) has longer delays as some times may have to be shipped from the East. Basically depends what you need. If its made to order then of course a delay but stock items are fine. Worst comes to the worst you could always go to IKEA or SuperAmart and take it away then and there.

3. Ever a favorite on this forum and a source of amusement for me personally. Yes there are decent clothes shops. You will hear people on here rant that its not like M&S or Next. Mainly because they are shopping in Target or Kmart. Go shop in David Jones or Myer for example and you can have decent quality and pay decent prices too. Hairdressers - oddly I was commenting to my wife yesterday that our town has now 4 hairdressers on the main road. when you consider that there are 30 shops tops thats quite a few. Shes happy with them but like anywhere it may take a while for you to get to like one in particular that suits you and your happy with.

Gluck with the move.
Agreed!

We did exactly as you say too - opened a Commonwealth account as soon as we arrived (because it was the first bank we saw!!) and had closed it again and moved to NAB within a couple of months because their charges were crazy (and they wouldnt give us a credit card!! ) Happy as Larry with NAB though - charges are minimal and customer service is great - highly recommended!