Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

there and back again....

there and back again....

Old Jan 13th 2009, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

SilverH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default there and back again....

So we find ourselves back in the same place we've been before... we have lived out in Australia for some time on a WHV and decided that this is where we want to spend our lives ... so came back to the UK to say tarra to family and apply for a visa "for the rest of our lives". I fall pregnant but then we have to go for medicals so cancel our application to give the family time with the new baby. The problem is that Aus is never far from the back of our minds.

In search of better prospects we move 200 miles from any family and have another baby, deciding that now is the right time for the big move down under and apply yet again. I land a fabulous job and not wanting to give up on "the good life" we cancel the visa yet again. The problem is that Aus is never far from the backs of our minds.

Another year passes and yet another shite british summer brings the reminiscing of long hot lazy days by the pool and we decide to apply for the big move down under again. Some time has now passed in what we hope is the move for us and yet again we are having second thoughts. I am about ready to scream. We have been living in rented accommodation for nearly three years "ready to make the move" that it seems will never happen. I have another new job on more money than before and it seems that our finances are finally coming right. The dreaded credit crunch and lack of jobs make the decision to move even more difficult. The children are starting to settle nicely into school and while they are very sociable children and will have no problems adjusting or making friends, do we really want to keep our lives on hold for something that may not work and may never happen.

I was asked the question, surely if you were that committed you would be out there already. A very good question in a long line of ones that I have no answer for.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: there and back again....

Took me more than 20 years to take the plunge....always something stopping me from coming.

Glad I have done it, but wish I had done it years ago!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

SilverH is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by medwaymark
Took me more than 20 years to take the plunge....always something stopping me from coming.

Glad I have done it, but wish I had done it years ago!
That is exactly the problem .. if we cancel again there is no ways we will qualify for the visa again... we have just enough points for a GSM visa. If we cancel and its the wrong decision we are stuck here for the rest of our lives.

We need to make a decision on the rest of our lives and its not easy. I am really worried its going to be the wrong decision.

So... if you know anyone that can see into the future please let me know... but make it quick
Old Jan 13th 2009, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

guyguy2003 is on a distinguished road

I really don't see the problem to be honest, you forget that if you get the visa you only need to visit Oz to 'start' it and then you have 5 years to make up your mind with the time it takes to get it and the time they give you to initially go to Oz (it used to be a bit less than a year when I got it) you really have about 6-7 years to make the plunge.
Good luck!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 11:37 am
Outback Club Member

Paddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant future

I am also giving up a great job, home etc

But my feeling was that I do not want to be sitting in my rocking chair in years to come thinking "what if". Suppose it goes both ways though.

Good luck in your decision.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paddy_M
I am also giving up a great job, home etc

But my feeling was that I do not want to be sitting in my rocking chair in years to come thinking "what if". Suppose it goes both ways though.

Good luck in your decision.
You are only giving up the 'great job, home' WHEN you sell the house and get on the plane. You have nothing to lose otherwise.

When people told me in the UK how brave we were selling up and moving to Oz, I pointed out that it is similar in a way to moving 200 miles in the UK; new house; new location; new jobs; new schools etc.

What did it for us in the end was that we didn't want to be old and regretting that we didn't go for it.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

dr-dak is an unknown quantity at this point

wow... Do you know me or did you base this on me and my family... We have been doing the same thing and have even made the move once only to return home as our house here fell through after 11 weeks!! Your so right...'life on hold'...Shall we get the kids a trampoline this summer? No because we might go back to aussie and its not worth the shipping!!!etc etc etc and on it goes. help!!argh!
Old Jan 14th 2009, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

we are in exactly the same boat.

Never had so much money, good job here, great terms and conditions, children in private schooling but everytime I hear the word Australia ..... I lose the plot and start dribbling. We have lived there, we know the ups and downs, we know there will be good times (and bad) so are prepared for it. We have even turned down a job there .... which I regret .... who were willing to pay shipping and flights (how stupid am I after seven years in Uni?)

So at the last chance saloon and plan to roll the dice.

If it all goes pear shaped we can come home (and I know I can get a decent job but it might take time) so better to try and fail than live with regrets.

Bezza
Old Jan 14th 2009, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

We have been saying similar since we were at Uni X years ago but are finally going in April. And DH is Australian already!

Something can and will always come along to make you think oh not now, meanwhile life is passing.

My Mum in her last days said that she was happy she had lived a full life and had no regrets and was glad she moved abroad with us as kids. She said we should grab every day that comes (she died from breast cancer the day before her 57th birthday). That has basically made us shift ourselves. Just our own experience......

Good luck whatever you decide......
Old Jan 15th 2009, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SilverH
So we find ourselves back in the same place we've been before... we have lived out in Australia for some time on a WHV and decided that this is where we want to spend our lives ... so came back to the UK to say tarra to family and apply for a visa "for the rest of our lives". I fall pregnant but then we have to go for medicals so cancel our application to give the family time with the new baby. The problem is that Aus is never far from the back of our minds.

In search of better prospects we move 200 miles from any family and have another baby, deciding that now is the right time for the big move down under and apply yet again. I land a fabulous job and not wanting to give up on "the good life" we cancel the visa yet again. The problem is that Aus is never far from the backs of our minds.

Another year passes and yet another shite british summer brings the reminiscing of long hot lazy days by the pool and we decide to apply for the big move down under again. Some time has now passed in what we hope is the move for us and yet again we are having second thoughts. I am about ready to scream. We have been living in rented accommodation for nearly three years "ready to make the move" that it seems will never happen. I have another new job on more money than before and it seems that our finances are finally coming right. The dreaded credit crunch and lack of jobs make the decision to move even more difficult. The children are starting to settle nicely into school and while they are very sociable children and will have no problems adjusting or making friends, do we really want to keep our lives on hold for something that may not work and may never happen.

I was asked the question, surely if you were that committed you would be out there already. A very good question in a long line of ones that I have no answer for.
Australia will ALWAYS be in the back of your mind.... you have to just do it!!! It really is not the end of the worl if you spend a few years in OZ and go back to the UK (as you prefer it) in the meantime what an adventure!!
Old Jan 15th 2009, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

dr-dak is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bezzanbob
we are in exactly the same boat.

Never had so much money, good job here, great terms and conditions, children in private schooling but everytime I hear the word Australia ..... I lose the plot and start dribbling. We have lived there, we know the ups and downs, we know there will be good times (and bad) so are prepared for it. We have even turned down a job there .... which I regret .... who were willing to pay shipping and flights (how stupid am I after seven years in Uni?)

So at the last chance saloon and plan to roll the dice.

If it all goes pear shaped we can come home (and I know I can get a decent job but it might take time) so better to try and fail than live with regrets.

Bezza
Its therapy we need! We too have an offer still valid. The job is in brisbane,all relocation and visas paid for...its all there...but but but! We have our house for sale and when we sell it will be crunch time...I think we will do it though. Our daughter is only 2 and we are young enough to have the energy to go through the tear barrier for the first few weeks, again!
Just hope the house sells this time! Good luck all but you know you must do it or forever live that dream and be shouting at the tv when 'wanted down under' is on! slip slop slap...No i dont mean the british puddles!