Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is there an Australian-based house/money forum like fool.co.uk or similar?

Is there an Australian-based house/money forum like fool.co.uk or similar?

Old Apr 20th 2006, 3:26 pm
Home at last

michellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to all
Default Is there an Australian-based house/money forum like fool.co.uk or similar?

Anyone know if there are any forums around for house buying, mortgages etc? Would particularly like it if there was a Perth one or one that discussed Perth properties.

I've tried a google search but no luck (probably using wrong terminology ) but would love to find one!

Michelle
Old Apr 20th 2006, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Is there an Australian-based house/money forum like fool.co.uk or similar?

Originally Posted by michellemac
Anyone know if there are any forums around for house buying, mortgages etc? Would particularly like it if there was a Perth one or one that discussed Perth properties.

I've tried a google search but no luck (probably using wrong terminology ) but would love to find one!

Michelle
I would like to find one too! I miss The Fool! Comparing the costs of things out here takes a lot of legwork and a lot of time asking questions etc. There are some websites that "pretend" to do price comparisions but they are very poor! I even got caught out with private health insurance using iselect.com - (wrongly) assuming that it compared all funds - it only compares 6 - joke really!

Business opportunity for some techo!

HTH
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there an Australian-based house/money forum like fool.co.uk or similar?

I was looking too!!!

Gave up in the end.

How about we petition Motley Fool??????
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Ditto. I'd love to set one up myself, but the quality of the information on fool.co.uk was unbelievably deep and good.
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 9:25 am
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by michellemac

Michelle
Best we can do is http://www.cannex.com.au/
Quite good for mortgages/ credit cards etc.

Web sites over hear tend to lack info & pricing, the utilties industry has been privitised, but you cant compare prices online lke you can in the UK.

Hope this helps

Stu
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute

Strangely we were asking the exact same question the other day. It's so hard doing the research yourself.

I'm sure it's not about the tech, I guess that's easy... it's all about the knowledge. We need a TMFCliff please!
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

I miss the fool too
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

Tumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really nice

Just did a search and this came up if it's any help http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...t=money+saving
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 5:20 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tumbleweed
Just did a search and this came up if it's any help http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...t=money+saving
Bridie's site is very good. I think part of the reason that the sort of site you want would not work, is the obvious size of the country and differences in rules and regulations for each state. Also when you break down the population to each state, it doesn't leave much of a market

I have never heard of the Fool, but could you not go to a independent financial adviser/mortgage adviser for info? Obviously not the same thing, but would have lots of local knowledge.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

ginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/index.php

This is the best one that I have found.
Old Apr 30th 2006, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

ScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud of

A poor relative to Fool, but this site has some useful stuff.

http://moneymanager.smh.com.au/index.html
Old Apr 30th 2006, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

stubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nice

These might be of use, more consumer products, rather than financial , although there's a money section on "choice"
www.ausprices.com
www.productreview.com.au
www.shopferret.com.au
www.choice.com.au

s
Old Sep 6th 2006, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute

http://boards.fool.co.uk/Messages.as...&sort=postdate

The fool.co.uk have their own australian sub-forum.
Old Sep 6th 2006, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Stephen
http://boards.fool.co.uk/Messages.as...&sort=postdate

The fool.co.uk have their own australian sub-forum.
The thing is, it's under "Investors Roundtable" (or something like that) and so I don't think it's the kind of place you can ask "anyone seen any cheap bananas"

I'm part of a Yahoo group called FrugalAussies but it's mainly women I think so blokes might not like it much LOL