Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is there anything that I should also be doing

Is there anything that I should also be doing

Old Nov 15th 2002, 3:28 pm
joeball

Default Is there anything that I should also be doing

Now that I have had the thumbs up letter back from the ACS I have started the final visa application - medical test, police records, certified docs. That will all be sent in about 3 weeks.

Is there anything that I should also be doing, I don't want to be held back once the visa app comes back (fingers crossed)
i.e is there anything that leaps out when making the final move that takes ages to resolve - e.g tax, insurance, etc.

Anyone know of good shipping companies to move stuff from the UK to Oz.
How long does an Oz visa app taking these days.
Thanks
Joe

Old Nov 15th 2002, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is there anything that I should also be doing

Plenty of time, relax and wait...
Mash..

Originally posted by joeball
Now that I have had the thumbs up letter back from the ACS I have started the final visa application - medical test, police records, certified docs. That will all be sent in about 3 weeks.

Is there anything that I should also be doing, I don't want to be held back once the visa app comes back (fingers crossed)
i.e is there anything that leaps out when making the final move that takes ages to resolve - e.g tax, insurance, etc.

Anyone know of good shipping companies to move stuff from the UK to Oz.
How long does an Oz visa app taking these days.
Thanks
Joe
Old Nov 15th 2002, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

sylvie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is there anything that I should also be doing

The best thing you can do is to check your application carefully, make sure that all the documents are in order. Also do try and place docs. in order. Try to make it easy for the case officer to understand your application and related information.

It's not a good idea to send your medicals from beforehand. They may expire and your will have to go through the whole tests again.

As regards to how long your application will take: this depends on your job. The only occupation being fast tracked is nursing. Otherwise you will have to wait as the rest of us have been doing.
Adelaide's processing takes around 50 weeks but it could take more or it could be shorter. In my case, my application was received in February 02 and I've just received my visa grant letter this week (9 months approx).

Vist www.austimeline.com to get an idea on how long applications take.

Good luck and think positive - it's your only chance of survival during the application process.

Sylvie.
Old Nov 15th 2002, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

sylvie is an unknown quantity at this point

Visit www.austimeline.com

oops my spelling is reflecting my celebrations !

Cheers,
Sylvie.
Old Nov 18th 2002, 7:49 am
joeball

Default Any experience you've had moving to Oz.

Thanks for the replies - I'll make sure I check all the final paper work before sending it off.
Couple of direct questions then.

(If you have one) What have you all done about your UK pensions.
What shipping company will you be using.
I have two cats which will be going with us, any tips, things I need to start thinking about. i.e Microchip, pet passport etc.
Can you apply for an Australian bank account, if so which bank is best.

Thanks,
Joe

Old Nov 18th 2002, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

Hi joe

Can't answer all your questions, but we used Crown Relocations for our move to WA. They were excellent from start to finish, they have an online tracking system and they actually have offices here in Oz, they don't sub-contract to another firm once your stuff arrives.

Our stuff actually arrived when they said it would and it cleared quaratine and customs within 10 days... just one minor little hiccup with quaratine, they found pine cones on my Christmas tree...whoops!!

We are going to see an Aussie financial advisor soon to sort out our pensions and stuff, so can't tell you anything yet.

Don't have pets, but there are plenty on here with experience of shipping animals..(pets though, not to sell )

Definitely get your Aussie bank account open before you leave the UK, we had no end of problems because the HSBC in UK said we'd be fine drawing our money from HSBC Australia...but NO!!! anyway that's another story!! We're now with ANZ and they've been good.

Good luck!

love sophia x