Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

is there anybody who is not an IT worker!!

is there anybody who is not an IT worker!!

Old May 19th 2002, 10:20 pm
Max

Default Re: is there anybody who is not an IT worker!!

Hi there everyone I'am an accountant, currently in Israel and just at the very
beginning of my journey Down Under. Next week - lodging my Assesment to CPAA, hope
that'll be settled so I'll at least have that application lodged!! They say the
accounting job market is all right given the overall market situation but you never
know, I reckon the ultimate way to know is to try and see which is what we all hope
will happen soon

Cheers

Max

Old May 19th 2002, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

rday will become famous soon enough

i was asking the same thing a while back

check out

http://britishexpats.com/forums/show...threadid=74713
Old May 19th 2002, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

Ianha77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Susan

I am a Toolmaker/CNC machinist.
Contact Warwick Weeks at

[email protected]
website www.bdsglobal.com

They are a large Recruitment agency based in Brisbane and i am sure they they will be able to help you. Warwick is a good aussie guy who i met in Birmingham last week. How far are you with your application?

Hope this helps..
Old May 21st 2002, 12:20 am
Protect The Inn

I am IT and other than the quicker visa (hopefully), I wish I wasn't. IT is a very
immature industry in the UK and all over the world.

What other proffession can people call themselves proffessionals without a degree.

The industry is full of used car salesmen who jumped on the bandwagon during the boom
2 years ago.

I currently find myself struggling for work and competing against 199 people for
every job.

I plan to emmigrate to Perth with my gf and her son in April 2003. I shall look for
IT work for 1 month, after which I will give IT up as a bad job and hope that someone
else will take a chance on me in another proffession - and I dont care what that
proffession is.

I keep racking my brains as what I could do over here before next April to enhance my
chances of a change of career in OZ. I was thinking of getting some sport related
quals, such as youth team football (soccer) coach etc etc. I know that
football(soccer) is no where near as popular over there, but I reckon that there
would be enough people to run some soccer schools.

Anyway sorry for my ranting!!

"lynn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Just a little question, I have been reading lots of messages lately about how
    > little it work there is available. Is there anyone else going who has another
    > trade/profession? My hubby is in the building trade and people we know who have
    > already gone to oz don't seem to have much trouble finding work. Perhaps the gov
    > should take IT people off the 'in demand' list for a bit cos it seems the jobs are
    > more in demand than the peolpe working in it.
    >
    > PS I have nothing against it people! it just seems that everyone making comments
    > is in that field.
    >
    > Lynn
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 24th 2002, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

sharonfryer is an unknown quantity at this point

hi lynn

not IT people either - husabnd is a printer and me just a housewife!!!!

Hope to go to SA i fwe ever get permission!!!!!!!!!!!

sharon
Old May 25th 2002, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

dazzx6r is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a Toolmaker, I know what you mean about IT. There does seem alot out there, but from the looks of these threads, there are a good range of other professions trying to get into Oz.... All the best to you all !!! Regards Daz
Old May 25th 2002, 10:20 pm
Wayne D Tyler

It's probably because other professionals/trades don't have the opportubity to keep
an eye on newsgroups during workhours

Don't worry there are other watching in the background.

Wayne

"sharonfryer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > hi lynn
    >
    > not IT people either - husabnd is a printer and me just a housewife!!!!
    >
    > Hope to go to SA i fwe ever get permission!!!!!!!!!!!
    >
    > sharon
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > kiran
    >

Old May 26th 2002, 9:20 am
Neil

Electrician here. Got skills recognition end of last year and got visa application in
in February. Can I ask the electricians, what are you doing about getting your
electrical licence? Are you just going to wait until you get out to Oz or are you
going to make arrangements before you arrive? I am thinking of trying to get my hands
on a copy of the australian wiring regulations so I can study them before I arrive.
Any advice/ideas welcome.

Old May 26th 2002, 1:20 pm
Jez

Hey Wayne

assume makes and ass out of u and me.

I am in IT and I am not allowed to access the internet at all - yes that means
newsgroups. I do that in my own time at home. I feel I ought to put a few things
straight too. I have worked in quite a few jobs in the past and I now work as a
software developer for a largish insurance company.

I get paid £25000 a year. Yes that is quite a bit - or is it? Work out how many hours
a week I work compared with, say, a mechanic. I work around 40 hours a week at work.
Then when I get home I have to keep up to date through reading / practising my
skills. This takes up another ten hours a week or so. Working this out I get £9.61 an
hour. How does that compare to builders, mechanics, printers, other craftspeople etc?
In addition to this I had to take four years off work without any pay to get a degree
to enter the profession. No craftspeople have to do that. Sure you do an
apprenticeship but is it as hard? Well I can speak from experience and I tell you it
is not, and you get paid for doing it.

Do I regret getting into IT? In some ways, yes, because I have to work a lot harder
and longer hours compared to when I was a mechanic. I also have to put in more effort
and money in my own time. There is more variety, but then there is always the threat
of getting the sack/being made redundant through outdated skills hanging over your
head. This happens more in IT than any other job I have worked in because of the
rapid rate of technological change.

The grass may seem greener but very rarely is. The same applies to living in UK
versus living in Australia. Neither is greener than the other, the only thing is that
they are different.

Regards, Jez.

"Wayne D Tyler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > It's probably because other professionals/trades don't have the
opportubity
    > to keep an eye on newsgroups during workhours
    >
    > Don't worry there are other watching in the background.
    >
    > Wayne
    >
    > "sharonfryer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > hi lynn
    > >
    > > not IT people either - husabnd is a printer and me just a housewife!!!!
    > >
    > > Hope to go to SA i fwe ever get permission!!!!!!!!!!!
    > >
    > > sharon
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > --
    > > kiran
    > >
    > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 26th 2002, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

rday will become famous soon enough

neil
check this out

http://www.tradeconnect.com.au/license.htm
Old May 26th 2002, 4:17 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Jez - just a few points, really not trying to be nasty, but you say you had give up work for four years to get your degree - was that at University? I understand that is expensive and all that, but do you know about the apprentiships that 'trades people' go through? In print that can be 4 years, 1 year college full time, 2 year part time with day release and 1 year on the job, my husbands father had to sign his indentures with a thumbprint, and that was only 22 years ago, my husband is 38! His salary at the time was very very low as a trainee - I know my comparisons are difficult but he earned 33 pounds a week as a apprentice, for three years. His salary before leaving the UK four weeks ago was about the same as yours currently, and he worked treble shift over a three week cycle 5 days/nights a week, nights 10pm-6am, lates 2pm-10pm and earlies 6am-2 pm - great for family life? Please don't dismiss trades people or try to compare when you do not have the full facts. I am IT (60-70 hrs per week basic) now, because I was supported over the last seven years by my husbands job. I do not know what level of your mechanical trade you where previously in, but please do not put any of us down - it is hard, we put the hours in (ex trade print typesetter speaking personally - 37 pounds a week 14 years ago).

I have read many of your posts before and think you have had valid points to make, but I did take expception to this one. We all work hard and have a common goal - PR in Aus, please respect our current professions and ability to work damm hard like you.

Cheers
Old May 26th 2002, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you Sandra. It is nice to see someone stick up for us craftspeople like you do. I too have work 60-70 hrs per week when I would love to be at home with my 8 week old daughter.
Old May 26th 2002, 7:20 pm
Jez

Hi Sandra

Interesting comments. In response to your questions I think you should read Waynes
comment previously which is what I was responding to. He was (in my opinion)
inferring that IT workers spend part of their working day browsing newsgroups, or at
least that is how I took the comment, whereas craftspeople do not. It was not my
intention to denigrate any craftspeople or anyone's profession.

My apprenticeship as a mechanic lasted for four years. In that time I started on
£24 a week in 1979 at age 16, which rose to (if I remember correctly) the heady
weekly sum of £55 in 1982/3 at age 20/21. During this time I went on day release to
a tech. college.

Comparing this with University, that took four years full time.

With an apprenticeship you have a steady (albeit low) income whilst at Uni you have
no income whatsoever.

So to answer your question, yes I think I do know about the apprenticeships that
craftspeople go through in the motor trade and can compare the experience with
University from a qualified position as I have undertaken both. Both are valid in
their respective ways; an apprenticeship is geared more towards training, whereas
university is geared more towards education.

I stated that going through uni is harder than going through an apprenticeship. I
stand by my comment. It is intellectually more rigorous at university and through the
structure of funding less well paid than an apprenticeship - unless you have rich
parents of course.

You could expand this further and judge what the value of university actually is
compared with the pragmatic training you receive through an apprenticeship given the
rewards you potentially get after this education and/or training. I suppose in the
long term a university education does raise the glass ceiling for you to a degree,
but any more than an apprenticeship? Probably.

From my experience working as a mechanic I worked far fewer hours than I do in I.T.
and dividing the relevant salaries to obtain an hourly rate I would have got paid
more as a mechanic now (£20000 P.A.) than I do as a software developer (£25000).

Jez.

"Sandra" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Jez - just a few points, really not trying to be nasty, but you say you had give
    > up work for four years to get your degree - was that at University? I understand
    > that is expensive and all that, but do you know about the apprentiships that
    > 'trades people' go through? In print that can be 4 years, 1 year college full
    > time, 2 year part time with day release and 1 year on the job, my husbands father
    > had to sign his indentures with a thumbprint, and that was only 22 years ago, my
    > husband is 38! His salary at the time was very very low as a trainee - I know my
    > comparisons are difficult but he earned 33 pounds a week as a apprentice, for
    > three years. His salary before leaving the UK four weeks ago was about the same as
    > yours currently, and he worked treble shift over a three week cycle 5 days/nights
    > a week, nights 10pm-6am, lates 2pm-10pm and earlies 6am-2 pm - great for family
    > life? Please don't dismiss trades people or try to compare when you do not have
    > the full facts. I am IT (60-70 hrs per week basic) now, because I was supported
    > over the last seven years by my husbands job. I do not know what level of your
    > mechanical trade you where previously in, but please do not put any of us down -
    > it is hard, we put the hours in (ex trade print typesetter speaking personally -
    > 37 pounds a week 14 years ago).
    >
    > I have read many of your posts before and think you have had valid points to make,
    > but I did take expception to this one. We all work hard and have a common goal -
    > PR in Aus, please respect our current professions and ability to work damm hard
    > like you.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Sandra
    >

Old May 26th 2002, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

I didn't get to finish my post earlier, Dirty nappies more important at the mo! I am a craftsman and i am working 60-70 hours per week. I am a toolmaker and now programme cad/cam and also run the company computer network. I have had no training in this whatsoever and have taught myself through many mistakes. I would have loved to have changed my dierection and trained more on the IT side but did not have the guts to give up my job and go for it. I am now extremely computer literate but have no qualifications to show for it.
Good for you Jez that that you had the balls to change dierection, you obviously weren't happy as a mechanic.
I am happy now because i think being a toolmaker, will give me a much better chance of getting work in Aus. I have already had offers of work.
But, whatever proffession you are in, i look forward to meeting as many of you out there as possible!! I think we all deserve it!
Old May 29th 2002, 12:20 pm
Jaj

Leaving aside the issue of whether it's done during working hours or not , the
reality is that someone whose trade is in IT is *on average* more likely to know
about and use the Intenet in general, and newsgroups in particular, than a person who
is not in IT.

Which almost certainly means that IT people are over-represented here compared to
Australia's skilled migrants as a whole.

Jeremy

>On Sun, 26 May 2002 19:34:55 +0100, "Jez" <[email protected]>
    >wrote: Hi Sandra
    >
    >Interesting comments. In response to your questions I think you should read Waynes
    >comment previously which is what I was responding to. He was (in my opinion)
    >inferring that IT workers spend part of their working day browsing newsgroups, or at
    >least that is how I took the comment, whereas craftspeople do not. It was not my
    >intention to denigrate any craftspeople or anyone's profession.