Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

ARE THERE ANY RECRUITMENT AGENTS HERE PLEASE

ARE THERE ANY RECRUITMENT AGENTS HERE PLEASE

Old Nov 21st 2008, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

LOVERINGS has a spectacular aura aboutLOVERINGS has a spectacular aura aboutLOVERINGS has a spectacular aura about
Default ARE THERE ANY RECRUITMENT AGENTS HERE PLEASE

I'm hoping someone can help me out big time here please! We are in the process of applying for permission to take our children to Australia (3 children are from a previous relationship). The courts have asked that we provide some sort of proof that a job will very likely be available for my husband when we arrive - giving an estimation of salary...the problem is that as we dont have our Visa yet (and cant apply until we get permission from the courts) then no agency will take us seriously...all that we need is a letter saying that there will very likely be job or jobs available for a Carpenter/Joiner for the date we're looking to move and what salary he could expect to receive...is there ANYONE here who could help us out with this or point us in the right direction please?Thanks so so much (getting a bit stressed over all this as you can imagine!) KATE
Old Nov 21st 2008, 7:10 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ARE THERE ANY RECRUITMENT AGENTS HERE PLEASE

It might be worth you posting this in the immigration section too:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32

Theres bound to have been someone in the same situation as you there. Also try not to use capitals in the title...its considered shouting and some people take offence
Old Nov 21st 2008, 7:24 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LOVERINGS
I'm hoping someone can help me out big time here please! We are in the process of applying for permission to take our children to Australia (3 children are from a previous relationship). The courts have asked that we provide some sort of proof that a job will very likely be available for my husband when we arrive - giving an estimation of salary...the problem is that as we dont have our Visa yet (and cant apply until we get permission from the courts) then no agency will take us seriously...all that we need is a letter saying that there will very likely be job or jobs available for a Carpenter/Joiner for the date we're looking to move and what salary he could expect to receive...is there ANYONE here who could help us out with this or point us in the right direction please?Thanks so so much (getting a bit stressed over all this as you can imagine!) KATE
Sounds like a "which came first, the chicken or the egg"/"catch 22" situation?
Chances are that they, recruitment agencies/employers will not give you your letter to that effect, as they may consider that to do so will bind them legally, for the same reason that many current employers/supervisors will not give written references to companies for people who have applied for jobs with them. If you have a look at this http://www.seek.com.au/jobsearch/ind...archfrom=quick , it will give you an idea as to what employers are offering and the offered hourly rates of pay and salaries (gross).
Please use as a guide only.
Unfortunately employers tend to want people to start reasonably quickly, and your OH will have to apply like everyone else and go in to the selection process, and not having the visa to start with, is another catch 22 situation.

Last edited by The Bloke; Nov 21st 2008 at 7:31 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Further to the chicken and egg situation, construction industry in OZ is slowing right now. House construction is down around 20% and that will get worse, big projects, many have been axed due to the economy, things are much slower than they were, think that goes for most of OZ.

A very big consideration for you is, how much work is there where you plan to go?? especially with 3 kids. Another consideration is in many states you will need a licence before you can work, you can search on that too. My partner is running a huge formwork project at the moment, and have to be honest there are a lot of guys looking for work compared to a year ago.

Just thinking, Brisbane, with its recent storms has left a lot of houses with cyclonic type damage, without a doubt that will increase the demand for many trades people for a while, however a licence is going to be a necessity. Licence by the way is not just a bit of paper as often reported on here, its the States way of holding you legally and financially responsible for your work ( imagine as recently you build a deck it collapses and injures/kills someone - far more than a bit of paper!!! then ). Anyway, in the short term brisbane might have a big increase in trade work, if you have the right papers.

Last edited by jad n rich; Nov 21st 2008 at 8:23 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud of

Hays Recruitment are in Brisbane, I don't know if they have a construction section. I think there are quite a few agencies in Brisbane but no idea what they specialize in. What about contacting large building companies directly? One name that comes to mind is Devines.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LOVERINGS
Maybe you could search your husband's job on a job site and print them off and show them to the courts? Some jobs show salary potential and if they don't maybe email a recruitment agent and ask if they could state wage's?
Old Nov 21st 2008, 10:18 pm

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
necessity. Licence by the way is not just a bit of paper as often reported on here, its the States way of holding you legally and financially responsible for your work ( imagine as recently you build a deck it collapses and injures/kills someone - far more than a bit of paper!!! then ). Anyway, in the short term brisbane might have a big increase in trade work, if you have the right papers.
Are you referring to the recent collapse of a deck in Ascot? I'd be very interested to attend the Coroner's Inquiry, even if to hear the evidence of the women concerned, as to why they had reportedly up to 30 people plus tables etc, on the deck, with the ground so sodden after all the rain. Just worked out the weight on the deck at over 2100kg (average 70kg per person). Surely nowadays, work like decks, additions, have to be signed off by Council Inspectors as safe for use?
Old Nov 21st 2008, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Are you referring to the recent collapse of a deck in Ascot? I'd be very interested to attend the Coroner's Inquiry, even if to hear the evidence of the women concerned, as to why they had reportedly up to 30 people plus tables etc, on the deck, with the ground so sodden after all the rain. Just worked out the weight on the deck at over 2100kg (average 70kg per person). Surely nowadays, work like decks, additions, have to be signed off by Council Inspectors as safe for use?

That one is tragic, i read the boys tribute to his mum

Deck collapse is actually pretty common. Have to admit the thought crosses your mind as to why so many people were on a tiny deck, people just dont seem to think

I think the amount of time these accidents have happened were not long off warning signs on decks, like some people have warning signs on their pools. A deck and any part of the house has to be signed off by Council or a Private Certifier, however to my knowledge no specific weight/person limit is attached to the approval. I noticed the news said litigation was already underway.

I have no idea if it was built by a licenced person or not, somebody will cop it either way. Its interesting tho that tradies coming out here often moan about the licence being just a bit of paper to make money, they dont even consider what its really for
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Centrelink also have a job search function: http://jobsearch.gov.au/findajob and you can sort by construction then carpentry.

Hope this helps.

Carolyn
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by jad n rich

I think the amount of time these accidents have happened were not long off warning signs on decks, like some people have warning signs on their pools. A deck and any part of the house has to be signed off by Council or a Private Certifier, however to my knowledge no specific weight/person limit is attached to the approval. I noticed the news said litigation was already underway.
It would be interesting to see the outcome, but most of the tradies that use work to get their materials are pretty competent. I bet the builders focus their defence on the number of people that were on the deck and the wet condition of the ground.
I wouldn't be surprised that the Coroner finds that the number of people on the deck, combined with the wet weather contributed to the collapse.

Last edited by The Bloke; Nov 23rd 2008 at 6:16 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

LOVERINGS has a spectacular aura aboutLOVERINGS has a spectacular aura aboutLOVERINGS has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by The Bloke
It would be interesting to see the outcome, but most of the tradies that use work to get their materials are pretty competent. I bet the builders focus their defence on the number of people that were on the deck and the wet condition of the ground.
I wouldn't be surprised that the Coroner finds that the number of people on the deck, combined with the wet weather contributed to the collapse.
HI THERE THANKS EVERYONE FOR TAKING THE TIME TO REPLY IT HAS ALL BEEN VERY HELPFUL SORRY THAT I HAVE TAKEN AGES TO REPLY THINK IV GOT FLU. PLEASE KEEP IT COMING AND IF ANYONE KNOWS A CARPENTER WOULD LOVE TO HERE FROM YOU THANKS SO MUCH KATE