Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

is there any homes in melbourne for $450

is there any homes in melbourne for $450

Old Mar 16th 2011, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

benedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to all
Default is there any homes in melbourne for $450

is there any nice little sub for my family to live in for $450 or under, just starting to get the feeling that the dream is starting to slip away because of house prices, thanks
Old Mar 16th 2011, 7:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is there any homes in melbourne for $450

Try around Melton.... 360,000 plus.

http://www.realestate.com.au/buy/pro...337%3b+/list-1
Old Mar 16th 2011, 8:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Or do you mean $450 pw rental? All depends on where you want to go, that's very much like saying are there homes in London for an equivalent price. Yes, probably, but would you want to live in them is quite another matter altogether.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

SamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to all

$450pw rent? Absolutely. Cheaper to rent than buy here, and as a tenant you don't need to pay rates either. It really depends whether you want a nice area but a more modest house, or whether you prefer a fancier house in a not so nice area.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benedict1843
is there any nice little sub for my family to live in for $450 or under, just starting to get the feeling that the dream is starting to slip away because of house prices, thanks
Depends what you are looking for and how far from the CBD.
As somebody else pointed out in another thread, if you are looking at upgrading what you have in the UK (don't know what your situation is so I'm just generalising here) but for the same price or lower, then you will be in for a shock. If you keep it realistic, then you could well find that some suburbs will offer you a good standard for an affordable price. But these are becoming rarer.

Melbourne is a very big city so unless you tell us more about what you want, it's hard to recommend suburbs in your price range.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
Depends what you are looking for and how far from the CBD.
As somebody else pointed out in another thread, if you are looking at upgrading what you have in the UK (don't know what your situation is so I'm just generalising here) but for the same price or lower, then you will be in for a shock. If you keep it realistic, then you could well find that some suburbs will offer you a good standard for an affordable price. But these are becoming rarer.

Melbourne is a very big city so unless you tell us more about what you want, it's hard to recommend suburbs in your price range.
Saw a very nice estate over your way the other day. That one at the old Mont Park is aesthetically pleasing. Haven't been to those grounds since the Wife worked there, about 15 plus years plus ago. I guess those plentiful established trees gave it a huge kick start. Can't think of a nicer looking estate though.

How much on average are they ? Cant remember what it was called either..... Just Checked, Springthorpe

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 16th 2011 at 8:37 am.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Saw a very nice estate over your way the other day. That one at the old Mont Park is aesthetically pleasing. Haven't been to those grounds since the Wife worked there, about 15 plus years plus ago. I guess those plentiful established trees gave it a huge kick start. Can't think of a nicer looking estate though.

How much on average are they ? Cant remember what it was called either..... Just Checked, Springthorpe
Springthorpe is quite nice for a new estate It actually is surrounded by parklands which means that a lot of the houses have a great view of trees and greenery. We often take the boys to walk in the Gresswell Forest Reserve to spot the kangaroos. We looked at a couple of houses there when we were looking to buy in 2009 and they were going for around $750k Way too much for us Looks like they've gone up lately

There are a few new estates a bit further out in Doreen that actually looked almost OK when we drove past some days ago. They have retained the gumtrees and the place did have a sort of country feel to it. Not at all like what I've seen of Caroline Springs or Pakenham (which admittedly is not much)

To the OP, Laurimar and Mitchells Run are the two that I drove past. They are not near the beach but prices are in your range. Houses there seem to sell anywhere between $350k and $550k.
http://www.delfinlaurimar.com.au/
http://www.mitchellsrun.com.au/index.htm
Old Mar 16th 2011, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

benedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to all

i was looking to rent first of all and then to buy in the future, i am a bricklayer with to small kids , 3 and 5 and we live near the coast. i would love to live near the coast in oz, somewhere quiet but with things to do nearby, my wife at the moment only works 2 nts a week (sign language) and we live in a three bed 80ft garden 1930 semi, worth £180,000. not trying to better that just want a nice home with a nice life outside with my kids. were i live now there is no work at all, i have to travel to london every day, 3hr to 4hr a day. could a tradie rent and have a nice home somewhere in melbourne. (close to the beach? got to be know more than 2 or 3 miles away from the beach. thank for your help sofar

Last edited by benedict1843; Mar 16th 2011 at 6:30 pm. Reason: bit more info added
Old Mar 16th 2011, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

or to buy, look at some of the older suburbs....still on train line to Melbourne.

I found this http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...ford-107258303

but did not look further.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for the info, was only looking at house prices, and not at the renting prices. Renting is so much cheaper. back on track, just got to find a nice little spot for the family. thanks.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 9:25 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benedict1843
thanks for the info, was only looking at house prices, and not at the renting prices. Renting is so much cheaper. back on track, just got to find a nice little spot for the family. thanks.
This search is centred on Narre Warren with a search of properties between 300/400k with 3 bedrooms & 800m or more land.

It came up with 80 properties.

http://www.realestate.com.au/buy/pro...05&mapLevel=11

Its just an indication, but personally if you look around this sort of area as a brickie as trade, work in the local areas shouldnt be too much of a drama (anywhere from upwey, ferntree to berwick, pakenham, cranbourne) and its max 1 hour to the beach (most cases 30/35 mins)

Its always better than you having to drive 3 hours a day for work

They are also all lovely areas with plenty of green, parks, good amenities etc etc

Worth pondering over.