British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Are there any expat builders in the Oberon / Lithgow NSW areas? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/there-any-expat-builders-oberon-lithgow-nsw-areas-197027/)

downunderpom Dec 15th 2003 9:54 pm

Are there any expat builders in the Oberon / Lithgow NSW areas?

The reason I ask: my 'builder' has decided that he can't start my house build in Oct/Nov (as promised in June), that he will now be able to start in March next year. Probably. Maybe.

So, I send out 14 'requests for tender' to local Aussie builders several weeks ago, and to date have had ONE phone call to say 'I don't do tenders, I just charge what it costs. Oh, and by the way, I can't fit you in for another year....'

So, if there are any expat builders who want to quote for a complete house build in the Oberon / Lithgow area, by all means let me know, and I'll send you the tender docs!

(Just be aware from the outset that Mrs DUP is a perfectionist, and a tyrant!! :D :D )

downunderpom Dec 16th 2003 8:54 pm

Apparently not!

Is anyone else who's already out here, and in the process of building from scratch, having the same problems getting a builder within a reasonable period of time? i.e. less than three months, say?:confused:

Carol in Oz Dec 16th 2003 11:23 pm

Re: Are there any expat builders in the Oberon / Lithgow NSW areas?

Originally posted by downunderpom
The reason I ask: my 'builder' has decided that he can't start my house build in Oct/Nov (as promised in June), that he will now be able to start in March next year. Probably. Maybe.

So, I send out 14 'requests for tender' to local Aussie builders several weeks ago, and to date have had ONE phone call to say 'I don't do tenders, I just charge what it costs. Oh, and by the way, I can't fit you in for another year....'

So, if there are any expat builders who want to quote for a complete house build in the Oberon / Lithgow area, by all means let me know, and I'll send you the tender docs!

(Just be aware from the outset that Mrs DUP is a perfectionist, and a tyrant!! :D :D )

Seems to be the same all over. Neighbours cannot get someone local just for an extension!
Know Oberon and Lithgow area too, love it out that way. (no builders though , sorry) too cold there for me though, seen enough snow to last a life time! Like Cowra too, have you been there?
Carol

downunderpom Dec 16th 2003 11:32 pm

Re: Are there any expat builders in the Oberon / Lithgow NSW areas?

Originally posted by Carol_in Oz
Seems to be the same all over. Neighbours cannot get someone local just for an extension!
Know Oberon and Lithgow area too, love it out that way. (no builders though , sorry) too cold there for me though, seen enough snow to last a life time! Like Cowra too, have you been there?
Carol
Hi Carol

We're fortunate enough to be in the Tarana Valley, just between Evans Crown Nature Reserve and Hampton State Forest, so snow is not really an issue. Oberon gets plenty of snow in winter, so we can have a winter wonderland each year, if we want it, or avoid it if we don't.

Haven't tried Cowra.

bondipom Dec 17th 2003 3:09 am

Is Cowra worth a visit as I will have relatives there soon?