Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are there any benefits/bonuses/tax refunds etc?

Are there any benefits/bonuses/tax refunds etc?

Old Oct 14th 2010, 7:15 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are there any benefits/bonuses/tax refunds etc?

Originally Posted by Wendy66
When are people going to be responsible for their own children instead of claiming everything they can of the state.

No I don't have children and it annoys the hell out of me, all the handouts given. I have no problem with benefit going to people that REALLY need it.
they are means tested - I dont get any of them either.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

When are people going to be responsible for their own children instead of claiming everything they can of the state.

No I don't have children and it annoys the hell out of me, all the handouts given. I have no problem with benefit going to people that REALLY need it.
Most of them are means-tested, children are the future of Australia and the taxes my kids will pay when they are adults are going to pay for your healthcare and future state pension - that's why.

Also - many people with kids who only have one breadwinner NEED extra help [you have to feed and clothe children unfortunately] or would you rather their kids went hungry ?
Old Oct 14th 2010, 9:06 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by JAK
Will my 10 year old qualify for that when she starts school in Australia, or is it just for the very young who are starting school for the first time?
Yep, she should get it, and the benefit cap doubles for those in secondary school. It is an annual benefit. Laptop this year, desktop next year, then an updated laptop the following year... etc...

There is an income threshold, sort of, but most parents seem to qualify.
If you earn over about $98,000 and have one child, you may not be eligible, as your (FTB) benefits will cease.

Old Oct 14th 2010, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

B1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
If you earn over about $98,000 and have one child, you may not be eligible, as your (FTB) benefits will cease.
Aha! So, I guess one has to be careful if his/her wage (or combined) goes over by just a few Ks of 98,000!

My wife would like to do a part time not to get bored at home and get some extra cash. She does not wish to work full time to be with our 4 year old after school. But after all, it might not be worth it.

Have also checked who is eligible and since my little one will only be in pre-school then I guess she wont qualify. Fair enough...

Who is eligible?
A person who is entitled to receive FTB Part A for a child undertaking primary or secondary school studies.
A person with a child undertaking primary or secondary school studies who receives a payment for the child that stops them from receiving FTB Part A for the child.
Independent students in primary or secondary school.

Do pre-school courses qualify as part of the primary school course of education?
You need to contact your state or territory Department of Education to confirm if your child’s enrolment in pre-school means they are enrolled in primary school.
NOTE: I'm not the kind of person who runs after and thrives on benefits! But hey, I have always paid my tax (in and out of OZ) and never really got anything back so its only fair enough that I check what I qualify for!!!!

Cheers
B!K3R

Last edited by B1K3R; Oct 14th 2010 at 12:30 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 2:23 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by B1K3R
Aha! So, I guess one has to be careful if his/her wage (or combined) goes over by just a few Ks of 98,000!

My wife would like to do a part time not to get bored at home and get some extra cash. She does not wish to work full time to be with our 4 year old after school. But after all, it might not be worth it.

Have also checked who is eligible and since my little one will only be in pre-school then I guess she wont qualify. Fair enough...

NOTE: I'm not the kind of person who runs after and thrives on benefits! But hey, I have always paid my tax (in and out of OZ) and never really got anything back so its only fair enough that I check what I qualify for!!!!

Cheers
B!K3R
Too right!
Old Oct 14th 2010, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
Most of them are means-tested, children are the future of Australia and the taxes my kids will pay when they are adults are going to pay for your healthcare and future state pension - that's why.

Also - many people with kids who only have one breadwinner NEED extra help [you have to feed and clothe children unfortunately] or would you rather their kids went hungry ?
Did you miss the bit of my post that said "I have no problem with benefit going to people that REALLY need it".

It's a forum where people have different opinions........
Old Oct 14th 2010, 11:40 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys,

I am researching on what benefits/bonuses/tax refunds etc are out there.

Facts:

1. Myself, wife and 4 year old kid
2. I will be the sole breadwinner
3. We will be renting a house
4. Wage will be an average IT professional wage (I guess!)

All I know until now is that if we have another baby, we will get around $5200 as a bonus

Any pointers/website with info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
B!K3R
Australia has a trough load of middle class benefits/kickbacks/bribes - mainly paid for by the people who can't get them (40% of Australians take more out of the tax system than they put in) - so dig in.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 12:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
B!K3R
The new paid parental leave is an alternative to the baby bonus. At the moment you choose the one which pays the most depending on your circumstances. You don't get both

http://www.familyassist.gov.au/payme...eme/index.html

I assume your child was born after June 30 as going into kindy. You'll have to wait another year for the education tax refund

http://www.educationtaxrefund.gov.au...ult.asp?sid=42

To get the child care benefit and child care rebate your parter will need to be working 15 or more per week or actively looking for work (not sure how they check that).

http://www.familyassist.gov.au/payments/

You can depreciate the work portion of your IT purchases on your tax return. Low value items can be written off in full while higher value purchases are written off over 2 or 3 years.

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/pa...92#001_002_013

You can claim 20% of all medical expenses over a threshold:

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...t/00218527.htm

This also includes things like headache tablets as long as you bought them at a chemist not a supermarket so keep "all" medical receipts.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 12:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Australia has a trough load of middle class benefits/kickbacks/bribes - mainly paid for by the people who can't get them (40% of Australians take more out of the tax system than they put in) - so dig in.
We can thank John Howard for the huge expansion of govt benefits to the middle class.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

I agree.

In my opinion benefits like this are the thin end of the wedge. Plenty of corporate welfare going on. Maybe you should feel guilty about it but you're not going to beat them so you might as well join them.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 12:21 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve2009
I agree.

In my opinion benefits like this are the thin end of the wedge. Plenty of corporate welfare going on. Maybe you should feel guilty about it but you're not going to beat them so you might as well join them.
Unfortunately I don't qualify for any of them!
Old Oct 15th 2010, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

I qualified for LAFHA for a while, I felt a little guilty about that. I'm small fry though so not too guilty.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 1:26 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Or we could say fortunately? I do not qualify either but would rather be ineligible for the benefits and have my income.

LAFHA for me when I arrive, never felt guilty (or now for my overnight stays) as tax was 47% over 60K!!! yuck.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Did you miss the bit of my post that said "I have no problem with benefit going to people that REALLY need it".

It's a forum where people have different opinions........
No I managed to read that fine - I also managed to read this bit:

When are people going to be responsible for their own children instead of claiming everything they can off the state.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve2009
I agree.

Exactly. Getting a few hundred dollars for a laptop is nothing compared to millions the big corps manage to wriggle out of.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.