Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are there any benefits/bonuses/tax refunds etc?

Are there any benefits/bonuses/tax refunds etc?

Old Oct 13th 2010, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

B1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud of
Default Are there any benefits/bonuses/tax refunds etc?

Hi Guys,

I am researching on what benefits/bonuses/tax refunds etc are out there.

Facts:

1. Myself, wife and 4 year old kid
2. I will be the sole breadwinner
3. We will be renting a house
4. Wage will be an average IT professional wage (I guess!)

All I know until now is that if we have another baby, we will get around $5200 as a bonus

Any pointers/website with info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
B!K3R
Old Oct 13th 2010, 7:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are there any benefits/bonuses/tax refunds etc?

Originally Posted by B1K3R
Hi Guys,

Facts:

All I know until now is that if we have another baby, we will get around $5200 as a bonus

Thanks!
B!K3R

First question....what visa you on?
Old Oct 13th 2010, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

B1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud of

oh sorry! Missed a very important part...its 175 Skilled Independent

Cheers
B!K3R

Last edited by B1K3R; Oct 13th 2010 at 7:30 am.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 7:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

175 Skilled Independent

Cheers
B!K3R
Cool

Well on a PR visa you can get Family Tax Benefit. This is means tested so it depends how much you earn. It can be claimed fortnightly or it can be claimed annually. If you claim fortnightly, you need to make sure you keep Centrelink informed about any changes to your income - if they overpay you, you will have to pay it back at the end of the tax year.

There is 2 components to FTB, part A and part B. Part B is an extra payment for single parents and families with one main income. So if just you work, you may be entitled to that too, providing you meet the other criteria

Link to FTB A is here: http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...ents/ftb_a.htm

Link to FTB B is here: http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...ents/ftb_b.htm

If you rent, and are eligible for FTB Part A and claim the FTB fortnightly you may also be able to get rent assistance. The emphasis here is on the fact that you HAVE to claim FTB fortnightly as they don't pay it in a lump sum and you need to be claiming FTB to be eligible for it.

Link here: http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...assistance.htm

You may also be eligible for help with child care fees? Link here: http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...re_benefit.htm

And yes, you will be able to claim the baby bonus if you meet the criteria at the time. Link here: http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...baby_bonus.htm

You may also want to read up on the paid parental leave that will be coming into effect this year. I have no idea about how it works or anything though, I really have no interest in more kids

Some reading on that here: http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...ng_parents.htm
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne..._estimator.htm
Old Oct 13th 2010, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wendy
Cool

Well on a PR visa you can get.....
Wendy, you're a LEGEND!!!

Thank you so much for all the info!! God Bless ye!

Cheers
B!K3R
Old Oct 13th 2010, 7:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy, you're a LEGEND!!!

Thank you so much for all the info!! God Bless ye!

Cheers
B!K3R
No worries. I bet there's something I have forgotten though!
Old Oct 13th 2010, 8:34 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys,

Facts:

Thanks!
B!K3R

if you spend any time away from home for work you get a tax rebate per night
google for ATO Per diem and you'll find guidance, or, look for my thread "If you travel for work read this "

if you drive a car for work (to and from meetings/to /from clients etc) you can claim some tax relief if you do more than 5000kms doing this you can claim 12% of the value of your car. ~.~

If you use phone, broadband, etc for work you can reclaim some of that

if you buy a computer or something for work related use at home (like buying a laptop so you have er ... spare... for work ) you can claim that over 2yrs.

if you work from home you can claim home office expenses either as a hard to calculate thing or as a flat xcents /hour (mine was 300$ last year as an idea)

under a certain salary level you get tax relief to pay for broadband , buy laptop, it stuff (printer, paper, ink) etc for school kids - I dont get this so im not sure but itw as capped at 750$ or something.

check out the ATO website and look for personal deductions or something.

There are usually a few items you can justifiably claim.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spalen
if you.......
Thanks mate!

Cheers
B!K3R
Old Oct 13th 2010, 12:50 pm
ABCDiamond

Hi Guys,

Facts:

When the child starts school, you can get them a laptop, and claim 50% of that under the Education Tax Refund.

Old Oct 13th 2010, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
When the child starts school, you can get them a laptop, and claim 50% of that under the Education Tax Refund.
What would I do without you mate!!??

That's great news cause I do intend to buy a laptop once I arrive. The little one will be 4 1/2 and placed in Prep (kinder garden I guess).

Hope she'll qualify...

Cheers
B!K3R
Old Oct 13th 2010, 5:10 pm
JAK
BE Enthusiast

JAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Will my 10 year old qualify for that when she starts school in Australia, or is it just for the very young who are starting school for the first time?
Old Oct 13th 2010, 8:53 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAK
Will my 10 year old qualify for that when she starts school in Australia, or is it just for the very young who are starting school for the first time?
its all kids - its not just laptop its any "IT" expense printer, broadband, etc

it is means tested http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...t/00166469.htm
Old Oct 14th 2010, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

When are people going to be responsible for their own children instead of claiming everything they can of the state.

No I don't have children and it annoys the hell out of me, all the handouts given. I have no problem with benefit going to people that REALLY need it.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy66
When are people going to be responsible for their own children instead of claiming everything they can of the state.

No I don't have children and it annoys the hell out of me, all the handouts given. I have no problem with benefit going to people that REALLY need it.
Most 'handouts' are means tested, so not everybody gets them. We don't get most of them. We raise our 2 children on one wage and we don't complain. We're probably better off than some but not rich or anything...

My children will most likely be paying tax in the future to fund some of YOUR use of medicare and other support services in your old age.

That's the way our system works and I don't begrudge people who get help, nor do I judge people who don't have children (by choice or otherwise).

But I don't like being made to feel that because I have children, I am sponging off people who don't.
We all pay taxes, we all contribute to each other's wellbeing through those taxes, children or not.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wendy66

I'd say pick your battles. There are plenty of other subsidies you could criticise and they aren't ones directed at ordinary working people. I say if there's a subsidy take it as long as it's not the sole basis for the decision. You'll be paying enough tax for other people's subsidies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.