Wikiposts

Thar she blows

Old Aug 27th 2003, 8:02 pm
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice
Default Thar she blows

Got a phonecall off my friendly neighbourhood odd-job-man today, to tell me that there were some whales just down the coast where he was working. He knew I'd been keen to see some whales and only managed to see big black silhouettes so far.

So off I drive to neighbouring Port Elliot on this sunny but breezy day and there they were. A couple of mother Southern Right Whales with their calves having a sunbathe just off the beach.

Spent about an hour watching them, got some video footage and snapshots (snapshots may appear online in a day or three). Ocassionally the adults would roll on their backs and wave their flippers at the spectators.

I'm a happy bunny today.
Old Aug 27th 2003, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thar she blows

Originally posted by welshpom
Got a phonecall off my friendly neighbourhood odd-job-man today, to tell me that there were some whales just down the coast where he was working. He knew I'd been keen to see some whales and only managed to see big black silhouettes so far.

So off I drive to neighbouring Port Elliot on this sunny but breezy day and there they were. A couple of mother Southern Right Whales with their calves having a sunbathe just off the beach.

Spent about an hour watching them, got some video footage and snapshots (snapshots may appear online in a day or three). Ocassionally the adults would roll on their backs and wave their flippers at the spectators.

I'm a happy bunny today.
Old Aug 27th 2003, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, cocked that up didn't I?

I have always had a facination about whales, and wanted to see them for real. Can't wait.

Whisky
Old Aug 27th 2003, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

http://www.sawhalecentre.com/

cheers

richard
Old Aug 27th 2003, 11:09 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

I'm a happy bunny today.
I hav'nt seen whales yet either....and its definatly somthing i would like.

Spectacular sight i saw at 5:30 am a few years back, from the wifes uncles house on the sunshine coast. About 300m off the beach were 4 giant seething masses of bubbles....did'nt know what they were at first, the worked out that they were "baitballs". Next we saw tuna jumping into the ball....big ones too, followed by a group of dolphins. Lastly, which was spectacular to see were 2 marlin/sailfish. They were pretty big too !!

Never seen anything like that before except when being narrated by attenborough himself !
Old Aug 27th 2003, 11:11 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by PeteY
I hav'nt seen whales yet either....and its definatly somthing i would like.
Whales. Ask dotty where you can see them. Something about maccers and speedos or something like that.
Old Aug 27th 2003, 11:18 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a happy bunny today.
Pleased for you W/P, but sad to think that only , 100yrs ago we might have been rowing out ,with harpoons .............. MM
Old Aug 27th 2003, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by mr mover
Pleased for you W/P, but sad to think that only , 100yrs ago we might have been rowing out ,with harpoons .............. MM

True Mr Mover. Whilst out in Oz last year, my brother took us out to an old Whaling station in Albany (Museum now). Gruesome place. The chap taking us round was very good, and you could almost imagine the place when those whales were brought in. The blood, the smell. Yuk. I think it was only closed down in the 1970's too.

Whisky