Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

thanks to lad who muged me

Wikiposts

thanks to lad who muged me

Old Nov 6th 2005, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

Princess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nice
Default Re: thanks to lad who muged me

Originally Posted by nickyc
Think that's a bit of an urban myth.

What are you supposed to do if you want to score - knock on every house in the street with shoes hanging up nearby - "Excuse me - Are you a drug dealer?".

Do you think the dealers really want to advertise the fact they live in the area - because the police will notice shoes hanging in the power lines, too.

Kids do the shoe thing, they think it's funny.
Well I've actually seen them for myself. I never noticed them until I was told about it by another Sydneysider and suddenly I could see them. I don't think it's so much of an advertisement for those wanting to score but more of a territory marking for the information of other drug dealers. They are often hung at road junctions so specific houses are not given away.

Princess Leia

Last edited by Princess Leia; Nov 6th 2005 at 3:32 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2005, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cranni
Hi , my son has just been here on hols, he works at st mungos in London, he works with drug addict and acoholics, he went round the rehabs in South west and in PERTH, and attended severel meetings as he is hoping to work here, and he reckons we have just as big a problem here as they have in the UK,

Hey saw your other post hope you are feeling a bit better now.

Drugs, Can only say what Ive seen but sydney and melbourne have some very bad areas, melby was a shocker we let kids play on St Kilda beach, the next day they said 2000 needles had just been cleaned up :scared: and loved the half doors in the macdonalds in the city so people could not shoot up, gold coast dont let the pretty beachfront kid anyone, you can buy what you want easily, walked down surfers with my then 17 year old we got offered a smorgasboard and I dont mean steak and seafood

Up here the flats I spoke about, 2 minutes from the most shiney, clean, pristine beaches and parks you can imagine, hookers, pimps, dealers, and a couple of bodies found. Unless you lived a few doors away you would not have a clue but its there, like anywhere theres them that want it and somebody will be selling it.
Old Nov 6th 2005, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Princess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nice

Originally Posted by andrew63
Hmmm. Not sure if I agree.
I was involved with drug testing in the UK and it was amazing how rife it was within groups that you would not expect to find drug abuse. Certainly not the type of people who would break into your houses as they were mainly wealthy professionals.
Andrew
Well I think you'd actually prefer for a larger percentage of drug users to be from the professional class since they are less likely to break and enter or mug people. They are more likely to hide their habits out of respectability and maybe take out loans to fund habits or help themselves to the bank account at work.

So that is what I mean when I say that Australia has a more prominent drug culture because it is more open. I am not sure about prevalence.

Princess Leia
Old Nov 6th 2005, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Princess Leia
Well I've actually seen them for myself. I never noticed them until I was told about it by another Sydneysider and suddenly I could see them. I don't think it's so much of an advertisement for those wanting to score but more of a territory marking for the information of other drug dealers. They are often hung at road junctions so specific houses are not given away.

Princess Leia
I've seen them too, they're everywhere.

It's something that kids do in all suburbs. I've even spotted them myself - bunch of 10-year olds mucking about trying (and failing) to get the shoes high enough to get them over the power lines.

Also seen shoes hanging out in the bush, with no houses or 'drug territories' within miles.
Old Nov 6th 2005, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

StarJam will become famous soon enoughStarJam will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Princess Leia
I'm sorry to hear that you've had this happen to you. I certainly understand your anger and that the race of the evil plonker is the only thing that you can see at the moment. I say this as a "coloured" person myself.

However they do have large numbers of non African "coloureds" in Australia and they do have muggers of all races, although I am not sure how it compares to the UK. In the news recently here in Sydney an old man was mugged by a blonde woman - it was reported because he pulled out some of her hair! I was almost divested of my purse by 2 men of middle eastern appearance at a railway station. I can see why one would focus on the race especially if you are white but at the end of the day they are evil men of which there is of no lack in every race.

Also I agree with the previous poster that Australia has a more prominent drug culture than the UK. A large number of burglaries over here are to fund drug habits. I know people in Sydney and Brisbane who have woken up to find burglars looking at them and these in nice housing estates.

I hope you are feeling better soon.

Princess Leia
Eloquently put Princess Leia… As a person of “colour” it frustrates the hell out of me when a person’s race becomes subjective to bad experience. When my mother got mugged she didn’t feel the need to say that a white w@nk£r had done it… but just used the latter discription.

I’m really sorry that this happened to you and I wish you the best of luck in your new life.
Old Nov 6th 2005, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StarJam
Eloquently put Princess Leia… As a person of “colour” it frustrates the hell out of me when a person’s race becomes subjective to bad experience. When my mother got mugged she didn’t feel the need to say that a white w@nk£r had done it… but just used the latter discription.

I’m really sorry that this happened to you and I wish you the best of luck in your new life.
I agree. I think that it's similar to “Yes, they’re black but they’re really nice”!
Old Nov 6th 2005, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

galloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nice

Originally Posted by andrew63
Hmmm. Not sure if I agree.
I was involved with drug testing in the UK and it was amazing how rife it was within groups that you would not expect to find drug abuse. Certainly not the type of people who would break into your houses as they were mainly wealthy professionals. I believe this group is smaller in Australia by %.
Maybe the % of yobs type are closer. But I do beleive that Australia is behind Europe and US by years when it comes to testing but no so many years with the amount of addicts.
http://smh.com.au/news/National/Coca...211986398.html

Then even managed to do a study of who's taking what!
Old Nov 6th 2005, 5:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I'm one of the older Members on this site, and that shoe thing we were doing when we were at primary school back in the UK, on telephone lines.

It would go like this, you'd pick some kids "plimsolls" after PE class, tie the laces together, and the boys, would all have a go at chucking erm up at the lines, his shoes hanging up there would be a permanent reminder of the day he got picked on. It's a 10 year old through to 14 year old thing, and probably happens the world over.

Nothing more embarrassing to a kid, than seeing his shoes up there every time he has to walk that way. Bit of a bullying thing, but you can bet your life the owner of the shoes never chucked erm up there.
Old Nov 6th 2005, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

The lads who were sat on my fence and who kicked the lock off the gate and throw fireworks over my fence there we all races and religions, I know because I taught two of them both at different schools.

So I could call them anything less than what they are and that is that they are pillarks, imaginary carpet carriers, chavs.

I didn't know that about the plimsolls and now I do I am leaving even earlier as these are all over the place here in Oldham. I just thought it was kids messing but now, coming to think of it, two sets off them that I have seen are in places of this town you wouldn't walk in.

Can I also say I had a knife held up to me in a park were I took my child and his friend by a two Asians telling me that it was their park and I have five minutes to get out otherwise they would use the knife not only on me but the kids too. I have been going to this park since I was born and have never been threatened before, however, I would not stop anywhere near it now as it is in the middle of an Asian community and I would have my head kicked in.

Approached a roundabout in the riots and they (the Asians) let me past only because I had a child in the car, the man behind me wasn't so lucky.

I was going to Matalan and they pelted my car with stones because Matalan is in an Asian area.

Are they racial attacks, No course not, not according to the police anyway, and people ask me why I am leaving.

Mmmm, there are people leaving on here from Oldham and if they are honest and you ask them they will tell you why!!

good luck to all who are heading for a new life
hugs Lace xxx
Old Nov 6th 2005, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lacey21
The lads who were sat on my fence and who kicked the lock off the gate and throw fireworks over my fence there we all races and religions, I know because I taught two of them both at different schools.

So I could call them anything less than what they are and that is that they are pillarks, imaginary carpet carriers, chavs.

I didn't know that about the plimsolls and now I do I am leaving even earlier as these are all over the place here in Oldham. I just thought it was kids messing but now, coming to think of it, two sets off them that I have seen are in places of this town you wouldn't walk in.

Can I also say I had a knife held up to me in a park were I took my child and his friend by a two Asians telling me that it was their park and I have five minutes to get out otherwise they would use the knife not only on me but the kids too. I have been going to this park since I was born and have never been threatened before, however, I would not stop anywhere near it now as it is in the middle of an Asian community and I would have my head kicked in.

Approached a roundabout in the riots and they (the Asians) let me past only because I had a child in the car, the man behind me wasn't so lucky.

I was going to Matalan and they pelted my car with stones because Matalan is in an Asian area.

Are they racial attacks, No course not, not according to the police anyway, and people ask me why I am leaving.

Mmmm, there are people leaving on here from Oldham and if they are honest and you ask them they will tell you why!!

good luck to all who are heading for a new life
hugs Lace xxx
OH you poor thing, things werent as bad as that in Morecambe, i am so worried about my son going to Manchester now, he has just got a job as a victim support officer, my god he will have loads of work, i just hope he keeps safe. I hope you keep safe too, dont worry you will soon get away. DEnise
Old Nov 6th 2005, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

StarJam will become famous soon enoughStarJam will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
I agree. I think that it's similar to “Yes, they’re black but they’re really nice”!
LOL... Very true
Old Nov 6th 2005, 8:21 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angela&rob
well id just like to say,thanks to the coloured lad who mugged me for my mobile phone on a packed train at ilford.you must have balls the size of coconuts.this is just one of the reasons why im taking my wife and children out of this country. if you tried harder at school you would not have to go around stealing from honest hard working people to feed a drug habit,well when your in your prison cell and im on the beach with my children who will have the last laugh.roll on jan 16th 2006 when i fly to perth on a one way ticket.im not sorry if i offend any body with this thread,because at the moment im offended by the lack of respect for people and there property
We're all very sorry about what happened - but Australia is now the top drug using country in the OECD, so don't think the same thing won't happen here. It's vital that you take a very good look around before buying into an area which might be "one of those". Not being negative, just realistic.
Old Nov 6th 2005, 9:13 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Rob,

I am so sorry to hear you were mugged. I would be as furious as you. It's a sad fact of everyday life anywhere in the world, and a real p*sser that you are yet another innocent victim. There are scumbags and deadbeats everywhere. Hope you got a good description, mind you will the police be arsed to do anything?

Lucy
Old Nov 6th 2005, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

monkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by angela&rob
well id just like to say,thanks to the coloured lad who mugged me for my mobile phone on a packed train at ilford.you must have balls the size of coconuts.this is just one of the reasons why im taking my wife and children out of this country. if you tried harder at school you would not have to go around stealing from honest hard working people to feed a drug habit,well when your in your prison cell and im on the beach with my children who will have the last laugh.roll on jan 16th 2006 when i fly to perth on a one way ticket.im not sorry if i offend any body with this thread,because at the moment im offended by the lack of respect for people and there property
here here my unlucky friend go sun sea and surf and forget the trauma that the ar--hole has dished out makes me sick this country I too will be sunning myself on a perth beach on the 4th of Dec we leave this hellhole well and truely behind for hopefully a better safer and more pleasurable life. Good luck to you and your family.
Old Nov 6th 2005, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

chilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nice

Well im there with you - I suffered a serious assault in Feb, the police got the guy. Trial eventually took place last week (hence the delay in heading out to Oz) The guy managed to get off ... to say I have lost faith in the british justice system is a minor undestatement!! To make matters worse the dude showed no remorse despite the fact I nearly didn't pull through!!

Apologies for my rant, still off to Perth in two weeks for my validation trip